Used 2008 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews

Used GTI for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...14

Pros
Cons
4.88 out of 5 stars

Best of Choices

meatloaf, 08/30/2008
2dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I went to the dealership for a 25k miles revision on my Mazda 6, the same day i test driven the GTI, it was an instant decision. I had the GTI for the past 3 weeks and is totally awesome, great driving experience and a great reason to get up in the morning and drive to work. I also have not used my HD Sporter since.

4.38 out of 5 stars

Falls Short of the Mazda3

Rob, 01/04/2008
4dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

While the 08 GTI is fun to drive and well designed, it still falls short of the competition. The steering feels much heavier than what one would expect in a sport tuned hatch. The performance of the automatic transmission is also sub-par, as it frequently shifts to higher gears too quickly causing the engine to strain and grumble. I’ve ended up using the paddle shifters to correct the problem. My 05 Mazda3 (S) with automatic transmission and 156hp had better handling and off the line acceleration.

4.75 out of 5 stars

Expensive to own!

pbesong, 08/10/2010
4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Expensive to own and operate! It takes premium gas only, so while everyone else is paying $2.60 per gallon, you're paying $3.00 a gallon. It takes a special oil, too, which at Pep Boys costs $8.00 per bottle and you'll need 5 bottles. The oil filter from the dealer costs $28, but you can get it from NAPA for a mere $16 (still expensive if you ask me). And you need to change it every 5k miles. It's not a straight-forward oil change either. A bit more complicated. Xenon headlights cost $150 to replace and since the daytime running lights are on all the time, you're sure to burn through quite a few. I'm not keeping mine long enough to find out how many. transmission can have mechatronic unit problem.

4.88 out of 5 stars

Mini Batmobile

GTI Lover, 06/18/2008
2dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I traded in a Toyota FJ Cruiser after realizing that we need to start taking better care of the environment. Minus the FJ, I have always been around fast cars and wanted something FUN. I read a review saying that the GTI was the "right car at the right time" and can't help but agree. It's super fast, powerful, and all in all the most fun car I've ever driven. It's also safe and good in the rain! Was concerned about the car not attracting much attention, fearing it looked too bland. I get so many compliments, however, on how sharp and "sexy" it looks. My suggestion is to go for the Black Magic color. You feel like you're driving a mini Batmobile. Doesn't get much cooler than that!!

4.38 out of 5 stars

Great Car

Matt, 07/02/2008
4dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I have 4000 miles on my GTI so far and it's a great car. This is my favorite car that I have owned (02 Mustang GT, 98 Cadillac STS). VERY fast and still gets good gas mileage. DSG is fun to drive on open roads and automatic mode is very convenient in traffic.

12345...14