Used 2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Back in the fold...
By 40valvesgone

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This is hard for me to do because I traded in my 2004 AUDI S4. So imagine the performance & refinement that I'm giving up. Having said that, if it was too much of a gap I wouldn't have gotten the GTI. The GTI is nothing short of incredible. I had a GTI in 1995, when it was equipped with the VR6. I missed that car when I traded it in & am glad to be back in the GTI fold. I have owned other VWs and have always liked them. This GTI is a cut above the rest, what a great car. Not only is it quick and fun to drive, but it's well behaved too. You can cruise, you can relax, and then simply by pressing down the accelerator - the attitude changes to evil.

The "flat" bottom steering wheel! How cool is that?! Now that's a feature that every sports car should have. The DSG is so versatile, I love it. I leave it in "S" mode the most, it's very intuitive. The steering wheel controls, including the paddles, are very easy to get to and use.

Power seats, a must, c'mon VW get with it. Blue Tooth, again a must, c'mon VW get with it, the button is already there. Rain sensing windshield wipers and that's about it.

This is the One
By My Name is Fast

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I am one of those types of people who can not settle on a car. I have owned twelve other cars in my lifetime and this one tops them all by far. I traded in my Passat TDI for the GTI because diesel prices were out of control and I don't regret it a bit. This car is faster and handles better than my wife's Audi TT. I challenge anyone to find a car that handles better in the curves and can function as a daily driver as well. This may be the car or at least the brand/style of car that I finally stick with. I finally know what fast looks and feels like and this is it. There's only one word to describe this vehicle: Fahrvergnügen.

Form hugging seats. I am 6' 2" and weigh 215 lbs. The cabin is huge and the seat fits like a glove. Cornering is like glue. Style like no other. DSG sounds and feels impressive. Just the right mix of power and grace. LAUNCH CONTROL!!!

Homelink would be awesome. If this car can be flashed to get 250 hp and still get the same mileage and feel, I think the factory should do it.

Great, great, great
By Pata

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have my 2008 GTI for almost a year now, and I have to say every time I get into it I still smile. When I get on the road and I have to get onto the highway the power of this car takes my breath away still. My husband has a honda si and that is a great car too but when I drive his car, I miss my GTI, I just love the instant turbo power you get when you step on the gas pedal, and you don't have to down shift to get that power. I have had lots of people stop and tell me how much they like my car, or ask questions. This is one great car, comfortable, fast, great on gas, I put snow tires on it for the winter and it was great in the snow, and I always feel confident driving this car. I Love it

The power, the gas mileage, the radio, the lights, the seats, the hatch, the whole car.

One the ipod jack, please take it out of the glove box and put it near the radio.

American Thunder to Pocket Rocket
By Greg

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

When I released my beloved Cadillac CTS-V(400HP, 6 spd) to my son, I with serious trepidation, approached my next daily driver purchase. After not being impressed with the frivolous gimmickry and weight of most Asian cars nor upscale pricing of the elite Europeans, I found the GTI to offer the highest fun per dollar while being environmentally friendly (relative) and with no unnecessary accessories. It is, I found, more than than it; is a fully serviceable quality machine, that makes you feel good to drive. Its build quality is on a par with the best, and I am well pleased with my decision.

Solidity, performance, ASG mode flexibility including F-1 style launch control, seating, in fact almost everything - see below

More steering feedback please and limited slip or posi would be a great asset especially with front wheel drive.

Switched from Honda
By Goose

I've been a Honda customer for over ten years. I've had an Integra, Civic (1995-2006 models), Accord, CL. I test drove the latest Accord and 2009 TSX. They are all very good vehicles. However they are boring. At least compared with the GTI. The moment I drove off the dealer lot on the test drive I new the car was different. Different in a good way relative to Honda products in this general price zone. The car is quieter inside, it feels solid. I love the DSG and the fuel economy is very good for a turbo. I want to speed off at every light but prefer to drive mellow so I can watch the drivers looking at my GTI as they drive off. If I need to speed off its waiting on my input :)

Solid feel, the power when needed, DSG, the seats (cloth), overall outside look, xenon lights.

Getting an iPod option should be dealer install. The key could be trimmed in bulk size.