Used 2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Sports car, SUV, city runabout all-in-1!
By Bob

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This car acts as:
(1) a sport scar because it is a blast to drive,

(2) an suv because it hauls lots of people/stuff and is very user friendly/utilitarian,

(3) a city runabout due to small size/easy to park and good on gas (31-35 mpg on highway depending on speed).

This car is as fun to drive as my boxster S. Not overly flashy or showy but still looks "hip". I think VWs leather is plasticky so I got the cloth. Can be chipped for around $600 to get about 40 more hp if so inclined. The weak points of this car are well known due to tuners upgrading them to 300+ hp and no major issues if left stock or slightly modified. DSG is amazing and satisfies both automatic and manual drivers.

Turbo acceleration makes you want to push this car faster and faster. It is extremely willing. Very communicative handling and very nimble car. Interior excellent. Interior usability is exc. DSG simply amazing. Do a test drive in S mode and also try the manual shift. DSG blows me away everyday.

Higher road noise than some other cars but not bad. Some rattles on the interior which can be fixed via VW's spray lubricant but it is still a bit annoying. 2.0 turbo is excellent motor but louder at idle than what I am used to.

Love My GTI
By bljahnke

Great Car! Owned 2000 Golf, 2002 Jetta GLI, 2006 Jetta GLI and now the 2008 GTI and it is the best yet. I went with the 4 door model because i got a kid and it just makes it easier. Love the leather package and the stereo. Oil changes on these cars are expensive so I opted for the dealer package that covers this. Hope I don't have problems with the air conditioner compressor and condenser that has plagued newer vw's.

Steering wheel, 10 airbags, awesome sound system, xenon lights, leather, dsg transmission, paddle shifters easy to use. Sport mode is awesome, fun to drive in.

turbo is mildly tuned, could use some more psi, also exhaust could sund sportier and led taillights...

Best of Choices
By meatloaf

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I went to the dealership for a 25k miles revision on my Mazda 6, the same day i test driven the GTI, it was an instant decision. I had the GTI for the past 3 weeks and is totally awesome, great driving experience and a great reason to get up in the morning and drive to work. I also have not used my HD Sporter since.

DSG trans, cool steering wheel, seating comfort and robust response of the engine. A great feeling of excess ( 10 speakers,10 airbags & 200 horses.)

Standard bluetooh & I-pod accessories,

So far so good
By GTI-UP

I've owned many VW's in the past, but gave them up after leasing a 1995 Jetta that was nothing but trouble. Gave the GTI a chance as a summer fun car. It has a little over 5K on it. It's a blast to drive, awesome stereo, great seats, solid and stable. Fuel economy is disappointing. I've got the 6 speed manual, and a 13 mile drive to work that is mostly highway, and only get around 26 mpg. All highway gets me up to a mere 27.2 mpg. I see others getting better than 30. My driving is spirited at times but I suspect no more so than most others getting higher mpg.

Stereo, Xenon headlights, heated seats & mirrors in cold weather package, red interior lights that illuminate the gearshift at night - nice touch VW.

VW's tend to have minor electrical issues that remain unresolved, so you need a sense of humor in dealing with that. The VW information center in the dashboard is troublesome. Gas needle often drops to empty when it's not true, and dealer says it tests out with no problems. Whatever.

Great Compact Sports Car
By Steve

This is my very first "new" car and it's a long time waiting. I wanted a small sports car; either the Mini Cooper or the GTI fit my style. I ended up picking the GTI because I felt the flood of Minis out there on the street would dilute my enthusiasm for my car. I am extremely happy with my purchase an happy I chose this over the Cooper.

Cockpit style seating and controls. Firm, responsive steering and handling. Acceleration performance. Overall zippiness of the car.

Ipod dock (installed on armrest) The stereo does not read out tracks and folders. You can only skip forward and back, blindly. Good luck if you use anything over a nano! No Bluetooth. 6th gear seems like 5th. Responsive, could be better gas saver, but RPM too high.