Used 2008 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen GTI

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Great car for the money
By Josh

2008 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I leased the 08 GTI as an emergency replacement for my beloved A4, which was rear-ended at an on-ramp light, and have been pretty happy with my stand-in. The car is a blast to drive and feels solid... all at around 20k! The interior styling is passable and the exterior is pretty awesome for a hatchback. I am very impressed with the engine and the turbo lag hasn't really annoyed as I thought it might. The only problem I've had, which worries me a bit, is the tranny. It doesn't always want to go into reverse and the clutch pedal stuck to the floor on one occasion. I don't know if this is a singular issue with my car or it's a model issue. Overall though, puts a smile on face on a daily basis.

Tight driving car at this price. Up to 30 mpg. Reasonably priced. Quirky plaid seats are growing on me. Instrumentation is well done.

Transmission is suspect. Stereo display is cheap looking compared to other instrumentation. Cloth seat bucket sides seem prone to wear. Teasing us with inoperable Euro feature buttons on steering wheel seems cruel.

Fantastic!
By 2VG26

2008 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have now had this car for a year and three months and this car has served me well. It is extremely fun to drive, gets great mpg (when you're not on it) and shuns most everything on the road. The manual transmissions are bullet proof and the electromechanical steering has great feel and control. Overall this is the best bang for my buck!

Self-leveling bi-xenon headlights, power, handling, the stock Bridgestones are amazing! Solid feel and surprising roominess. Many features for the price and much more upscale than the competition.

The doors on the 2 door are very long. It takes some physical ability to get in and out in tight spaces. More power outlets would be nice. Scrolling the radio stations using the buttons on the steering wheel instead of the radio would be nice but that's just me being picky.

Are you kidding me?????
By Dave

2008 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I was hesitant to buy a GTI due to "claims" of reliability issues. I took a chance and I cannot tell you how happy I am. This little rocket is amazing. Performance is top notch, fuel economy is great (26 MPG during 50/50 commute) interior quality is top notch (drive it at night) and it handles like a go- kart. For 22K with 0% for 60 months I walked away feeling like a king. There are little options to be had on this car, and it will not disappoint. Go with the basic package and keep the cost down. And yes, believe the hype on the DSG. It is ridiculously responsive. No car with this much torque and off the line acceleration should be this economical. The enthusiasts affordable dream!

DSG, MFD Computer, Steering Wheel, Interior Quality, Fuel Economy, Nightime Interior Illumination, HID Headlights

Seatbelt hard to reach in 2 door. No center console storage. Nothing major.

Its not that great
By Javier

2008 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased this car to be my everyday car. It is very fast and fun to drive. The auto trans shifts to quick, it is twitchy. The build quality is not what you would expect a nearly 30,000 car. The factory ipod connect is bad! Fuel economy is not that great if you get on the gas. Over all it is a good car but I just feel that for the price you should get more and better quality. My rear cup holder broke like in 2 days. There is some cabin noise and the seats are not that comfortable. It does have considerable blind spots even when turning your head to switch lanes. I say you owe it to your self to drive the competition before you buy, I did not.

The quickness

the plastic rear cup holders,I-pod connector,chair comfort,drop a gear on 6 speed auto tranny

My Fun Mobile
By rich116

2008 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Needed something with a back seat, and also wanted a car with decent gas mileage. But mostly the car had to be FUN to drive, since I was giving up my roadster. I drove Toyota's, Subaru's, Chevys and Mazdas, but once I drove the GTI, I knew I was buying one. I've always been a manual transmission guy. But a salesman encouraged me to try the DSG transmission, I did, & loved it. I bought the 4-door in white, really looks classy, sporty, yet practical.

Body style, it's different than most 4- doors, good solid car, sun roof, Denver rims, and Turbo performance and sound.

None-love it the way it is, good job VW.