Used 2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 130 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Practical sport
By fh

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had this car for one year. Fun car to drive, and its utility has been important to me. The gas mileage is reasonable for the engine performance as well. Excellent fit and finish, and only one questionable item in terms of any defect, which has not been a problem. I wanted a car with a sunroof, still having reasonable headroom. That put the Hondas (Civic and Accord coupes) out of contention, by comparison.

The engine's torque and flexibility are outstanding. The shifter is smooth, not as short throw as perhaps a few other manual transmissions, but not bad. Good room in the useful back seats, which split-fold. Interior materials are first-rate in this price range. Plenty of headroom for tall folks.

The front seat bolsters are a bit difficult to navigate getting into the car. There is nose-heavy understeer in spirited driving; it is front wheel drive, after all, and the brakes, while effective, do have a soft-feel that seems to be a VW-Audi trait.

VW hit the nail on the head!
By falconeight

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Fahrenheit 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I really wanted a Mini, but thought that I would check out the GTI first just to be sure, and I never made it to the mini dealer. This is by far a great hatchback, and I have owned a few of them. Everything from comfort, driveability, looks, hatchback handy, and gas mileage is perfect. I would have paid more for it. Great car! VW deserves a pat on the back for this one.

Color, power, seats.

Power seats.

Better than a Honda
By jburnette

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The GTI is really a great car. The good outweighs the bad and the car is the first of many that I want to hang on to. My only real problem with the car is the many dash noises and some weird sounds that keep coming up from time to time. The quality of the interior is sound and not cheap plastic. I can't understand why this car makes sounds that seem not to be an easy fix. It seems so solid. Overall you won't be sorry. This cars gets tons of attention no matter where you go. The price is a bit high but it's really worth it.

Seats and dash look great. 200 hp is a plus and it's a very sharp looking car from every aspect.

Fix the noisy dash.

Absolutely Amazing!
By RWH

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is incredible! It looks great and drives even better. I must have driven about 15 different cars before I decided on the GTI, and I am 100% satified with it. The acceleration, handling, and braking are all top notch. It feels like driving a car that costs 2x what the GTI costs. The seats are incredibly comfortable and offer excellent support for cornering and for long drives. The stereo rocks, and the displays and controls are well designed and easy to use. I find myself trying to invent things to do just so I can drive it again.

Looks, 18" wheels, steering wheel.

Slightly larger sun visors, power seats/seat position memory.

Early thoughts
By nectar

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Package 1, 18" hufs, vortex body kit, wow... this car is well sorted. Power is smooth and plentiful, tranny is lovely, not notchy in the least. And the handling/brakes are great bone stock. I was considering a WRX, Mazdaspeed3 (which my brother owns and loves it as well), and a few others. I drove the GTI and feel in love. Having been a long time VW owner (I currently own), I was happy to see the GTI is made in Germany. I've just made it past the break-in period, so I'm finally able to do some spirited driving and I couldn't be happier (well, AWD would have made this car perfect, but hey we can't have it all). This car was built to drive. I smile every time I get in.

Interlagos plaid!! Xenon headlights, transmission, power delivery and general styling (both interior and exterior). The vortex body kit is great. And the 18" wheels (made by bbs) are lighter than a number of aftermarket wheels.

Give us the euro spec springs! (It sits like a 4x4 stock). This isn't a fault, I just don't like fender gap. Easily solved with coil-overs. Maybe improve the stereo. Again, this is a nitÂ… the stereo isn't horrible. But I'm picky with my tunes.