Used 2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 130 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Why does it use oil?
By Carl Stackhouse

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Fahrenheit 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Overall the car is great, but uses approx. 1 quart every 2,000 miles. Should this happen? If someone out there is having the same problem, please let me know. I'm getting nowhere with the dealership. If it wasn't for this problem, I love the car.

Love everything!

Stop using oil. I can't believe a vehicle with only 17,000 miles uses this much oil. Please help.

Great Car for today
By Mike

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I bought this car with 19,000 miles, trading in a BMWX3. If you drive it conservatively, it's comfortable, economical, the hatch makes it versatile and it provides a lot of amenities that you get with more expensive cars. When you want it, the power and handling are terrific. The ride is a bit rough on rough roads but that was expected with low profile tires. I have had owned several sports sedans but always thought the power came at the expense of handling. This car makes a lot of sense and I could not be happier. Finally, one unexpected benefit is the cloth seats which are cooler than leather in the summer sun. The car cools quickly after a stint in a parking lot.

Overall versatility with superior driving performance

I would offer another set of tires like the BMX 3 series does for a bit more comfortable ride

False Premonition
By MH

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I am 6'5 and this car proved itself to be great, roomy, sporty, economical and attractive. I traded my VW Gti 337 Ed, due to thinking that it will break down as soon as I run out of warranty. Unfortunately I should have kept it. After 7 months of ownership the '07 GTi came across an issue, a clunking noise in the front of the suspension. I went to research this on a vw forum and it turns out plenty of people have this problem. I attempted to fix this under warranty & even dealt with VWOA and no fix has been found, better yet it couldn't been replicated despite the fact that I had proof on video of many random recurrence and having a service manager replicated it to the quality rep from vw.

The exterior, interior, performance & economical (330 miles to a full tank). Great all around car failed by design (read below for more info). Owned the car for 2 yrs and got fed up with the issues, buying a used Honda Si Hatch w/ these gas prices. New redesign is coming out, same platform be aware!

I was told by one of the mechanics at VW, due to many visits for the clunk and inability to repair; that once something is designed with a flaw it wont be capable of repairing. VW messed up a great car, they need to fix the flawed subframe or steering rack issues, whatever it is causing the clunk.

Great car
By dave

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

After 22 months of ownership, this car beats all others that I have owned. NO trips to the dealer for anything but scheduled service, great performance and comfort, pretty good fuel economy (29 average city/hwy, goes down to 27 when driving 80+ on highway)--and it cost $26,000. Surprising amount of interior space--holds 4 adults comfortably for short and medium trips.

6 disc cd changer is cumbersome and outdated

Fahrenheit is Awesome!!!
By Tony Scavo

2007 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Fahrenheit 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Always wanted a GTI since the MK1 in 1983, finally got one almost 25 years later and I got the special edition. Wahooo, power/Torque is incredible for a 4 cyl turbo hatchback, reliability is perfect (currently have 27,000 miles on it after 10 months of ownership and the only issue i have had is figuring out where I'm going to drive next - best car i have ever owned, dead serious. I have driven it through death valley and into the yosemite valley, from Vegas to Denver and even up a dirt mountain driveway ( with snow chains ) and it has never failed me. The exhaust note is great and I added a K&N Intake which makes it sound even better. Suspension is stiff and sporty but pliable for long trips.

DSG, Leather Seats, Interior, Torque, Suspension, Steering Wheel, Multi Function Display, Charleston Special edition wheels, the aura around owning a "FAST" its a brotherhood akin to Jeep ownership, only in a more spirited and capable driving platform - I love everything - VW nailed it!!

It would be hard to improve on this car - but if a wish list were in order - AWD, 50 more HP/Torque ft lbs ( heck, why not? ) A body kit standard on the Fahrenheit (VW think R32 rear end and Rieger sides and front) An Ipod adapter in the center console and a 3rd cigarette power adapter, a USB port