Used 2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

My Fast
By Dennis

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I traded in a Hummer H2 for this little GTI due to the recent fuel prices. I was only getting 11 mpg city and 15 highway in the H2. Also the H2 only has a 30 gallon tank. It was costing me an additional $300 dollars a month on top of the monthly payment. The GTI gets 24 mpg city and over 30 highway. My fast saves me over $2,000 dollars a year in gas plus I took a loan out for fewer years. My insurance went down as well.

The handling is exceptional. The pick up feels like a V8.

I don't like the stereo with its distortion volume control. It adjusts itself if the volume is too loud. I like to play music loud and I don't need the volume going down when I want it up.

I'm in Love
By Johanna

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love almost everything about this car. I feel like I'm in my parents' Mercedes when I'm in the car, except for its much better price tag. The performance is awesome, the torque in 2nd gear makes me all giddy. I thought about getting the leather package, but the plaid interior was just too gorgeous (although many people think otherwise, but who cares). I definitely am happy with my purchase. I can't wait to break it in so I can really see it perform!

I love the incredible torque, all the cool fancy gadgets, the price tag, and the interior. Almost everything is perfect.

The recline knob thing has to go. I just want it to go down faster! That's my only problem with this car.

My Wife Made Me Do It
By fgslr

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I was debating between getting the GTI and a Jetta TDI. I drove both, loved the fun, performance, handling, and DSG paddles on the steering wheel of the GTI. But really liked the idea of 45 MPG of the TDI. My wife drove both and said get the GTI, it's so much fun to drive, even at 53 you are too young for an old man car like the TDI. What can I say, I got the reflex silver, DSG, pkg. 1 GTI about a week later. After 2,500 miles I have no complaints at all, this is a great car. My car came with the heavy duty mats and hatch cover, people have asked where to get them as they are so useful.

I love the DSG transmission, I have had manual transmissions all my life, but have now been converted. The paddles on the steering wheel deserve meantion on their own, what a great way to shift! Many people say negative things about the stereo, however it only sounds bad in FM/AM mode, in cassette or satellite mode it sounds great to me.

The side bolsters on the cloth seats could be bigger (or I could be smaller!). The passenger airbag light could be dimmer or placed lower.

Compared to the VW GTI the Honda Civic Si it's a joke!
By makinista

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Hurry up. During this month (7/06) VW is offering 0% financing for 36 months on the GTI. I traded in my previus 2004 Jetta GLS Turbo for it and I got it for invoice price. It is a nice upgrade with its HID lights,DSG transmission, and great steering. Don't believe magacines or websites about comparision with the Honda Si. Honda wastes more gasoline. The GTI DSG gets around 23 mpg in the city, plus it has a lot more torque and the tranny is great. I have noticed that even in automatic mode when you release the gas pedal and switch up to the next gear you can go 1,000 rpm in 6th gear and make 30 mph.

It a joke to compare the Honda Civic Si with a car that has this many features. This car has a turbo already if you want to compete for real with the Honda VTEC go and setup computer the chip to get the remaping the engine capability just for $599. You can't beat up to 300 in torque and 230 hp.

Improve the seat belt location. The long dashboard makes a glare when the sun hits it, The sound system's bass is not that great and it has no iPod conecctor. This car's doors are too heavy and too long. The speedometer seem to be off, reading something like + 5 mph.

Badge Snob Beater
By N. Hansen

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Having had four Audis in a row, the last being a TT, I considered the A3 as my next car. After test driving the A3, then the GTI, the GTI won me over. I should explain that I do not need four doors. As you know, the engines are exactly the same HP and torque. However, the GTI is much sportier, seems faster, and the exhaust growl above 3,000 RPMs is pure music. It is not loud or obnoxious, just powerful sounding (sort of like a VW R32). Lastly, I saved about $5,000 over by going with the VW.

This car is powerful, handles very well, is fun to drive, and comfortable. It provides a very good combination of fun and practicality. Also, the backseat room is excellent, as noted by a 6'-4" observer.

It needs to have more interior color options. You can get any interior color carpeting as long as it is black. Copy Audi's intuitive driver's information format.