Used 2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

DSG in 1/8th mile
By TOM

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

For all of those who think DSG is weak because its an auto, think about that next time I can pull 1 to 1.5 seconds ahead of you by having the transmission alone. I raced a worked out Neon SRT-4 at the track 1/8th mile, bone stock I ran 9.89 and he ran 10.75. So I say let the numbers talk.

The whole car, the torque, the DSG transmission, the xenons, the steering wheel, the brakes,

It needs a bigger gas tank because I never want to get out to fill it up.

The 2006 Volkswagen GTI is Sick
By flipp

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car is sick. I have owned all kinds of cars, the GTI is fun to drive, comfortable, sporty, safe, etc. I commute 16,000 miles a year so the reliability remains to be seen, but initial build is very good. Love this car!!!

I love its performance, how it is so fun to drive, and the engine. The DSG transmission is awesome for us in traffic. Its controls are easy to use. This car is fun, fun, fun.

Make the seat bolsters a little wider. The sound system is not great, It needs a jack for my MP3 player. It needs all wheel drive and eliminate the noise when the sunroof is all the way open, it's very bad.

It makes you think about corners
By Jason

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I just got mine June 9th and I love it. I fell for these GTI's this year at the Pittsburgh Auto Show, and was luckily able to get the numbers right to buy. The Black Magic is awesome, it looks like a piece of charcoal up close. My Fast has come back and we are living happily ever after (It left me 6 years ago when I bought a 1996 Civic DX). I think if Apple made a car they would integrate some of these little details.

The torque, when you need it, it's just there. Those little red lights that stay on at night. The plaid interior. The exhaust. That strip of red piping on the grille. The gorilla gear in the back. The headlights are ignorantly vibrant. The rims. This car just makes me believe in it.

The radio, but for different reasons than other reviews. The display is bad during the day, and an iPod input is a must these days. I understand though this is a driver's car, and the road is to be paramount. This is the only thing I would change tomorrow if I could

Outstanding
By zalmoxes

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I had a great experience with the dealership. No hassle, they had a profit a had a good deal. This car's 18'' rims are nice looking. I love the sunroof and the automatic transmission drives like a $40,000 car. I'm 47, guys, and I also have a $45,000 plus Lexus. The responsivness of the GTI is unmatched. My wife is reluctand to say that she's happy with it, but I am. Is my toy, let her drive the Lexus. Fantastic job VW.

DSG, 18'' rims, HID lamps, and the car overall.

Maybe AWD and 250 hp.

Great car!
By Tom

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

What a fun car! I was originally going to buy an Audi A3 when I came across this car with similar equipment for much less money. I got a Relfex Silver with DSG/XM Radio/18" wheels. My mileage has varied from 19-26 mpg in mixed driving. This thing is much bigger than it looks on the inside, and you can have adults sitting comfortably in the back.

I like the stock HID headlights (no package purchase required). The DSG transmission is unlike anything I have experienced, it's top notch! Everything is tight so far, let's hope it is reliable.

The DRL should run on halogen, not $150 HID bulbs. Get rid of the black molding at the bottom, or at least paint it the same as the rest of the car. The seats can be rough on people with large frames.