Used 2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Awesome Sports Car
By Lovin it

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is great, comfortable, reliable, and FAST! I have done high speeds 6th gear and still had room to go fasterand still felt absolutely solid, and responsive. You can also very frequently bypass gears. Thr leather seats are comfortable and I have not stuck to them which was one reason I was hesatent about buying leather. Overall the GTI is an awesome car, who else puts 10 airbags in there cars for front and REAR passengers? Standard? Not many! VW has thought of everything with this car. Thank you VW!

Everything!

It could use a better, more powerful radio system.

Wow, this is a Fun Car!
By DarkenGS

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I moved from a Mark IV Jetta to this car. I really liked the Jetta's combination of high quality feeling and good looking interior with an appealing exterior. The new GTI takes all of the things I liked about the Jetta and moves them up a few notches. I opted to get package 2 which includes many great options like heated, leather, sport seats, a great sunroof, 6-disk CD changer, and much more. I like the overall feel of this car better than anything. The interior is better than many cars costing substantially more. It just seems like it was designed with all the things I want, the way I want them. Great Car!

It probably has the best steering wheel I've ever seen. The engine is phenominal and the transmition is wonderfully matched. The features on the car are on par with BMW or Mercedes And it has great xenon headlights!

The stereo could be better.

Great car!
By jay

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After three months I am more and more in love with my GTI. I have added a few mods and I am already putting out 255 Hp and 300 lb/tq (with a $450 chip!).

The leather interior, HIDs, and turbo!

Power seats should be optional.

Just too much fun!
By Turbo Freak

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My son and I just bought a pair of matching GTIs. I can't tell you how impressed we are! They are very fast, comfortable, economical and just plain fun! A word of caution to all who are contemplating getting the ground effects kit. I had mine installed yesterday and found that the factory black side skirts are epoxied on! When they removed them some paint came with it! After a minor paint and buff on the glue areas it's perfect. I wish I could post a picture because the improvement in looks is well worth it! The original black trim is too "Golf" looking to me. The DSG is simply amazing and the handling and brakes are superb. I would highly recommend this car to anyone....period.

The turbo power and torque, DSG transmission, handling, brakes, build quality, seats (leather), steering wheel, navigation and the German built feel (Autobahn ready).

As with most other posters, the radio is Ho Hum. Also, the sunroof is noisy when open but really...who cares? This car is so outstanding that these are trivial complaints anyway!

Great Little Speed Box
By Joe

2006 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback New 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The Volkswagen GTI is a great car, with excellent pickup and standard features that are great. The only thing I considered adding was a moonroof. It comes with electric doors and windows and great litle VW trims inside and out. This car is great looking, it has an amazing honeycomb front grill.

The pIckup is fast for a 200 HP Turbo.

It should get better gas mileage, I cannot get over 25 MPG, altough it is probably the way I drive. I would give someone $1000.00 if they were actually able to get 30 miles per gallon in this vehicle.