Used 2001 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen GTI

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Fun to drive between repair shops
By caro2012

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought my 2001 GTi with 25,000 miles on it and put another 105,000 miles on it over the course of 5 years.

While it was comfortable to drive and had nice styling, the car completely lacked reliability.
In the 5 years that I owned it, these are the things that broke or degraded prematurely:
PCV tubing
Ignition coils
Ignition coil wiring harness (degraded insulation)
Timing belt (replaced at 50,000)
Clogged oil pick-up tube
Radiator fan (broke)
Coolant flange (degraded, leaked)
Drivers side seat belt clip (bad sensor)
Automatic transmission (failed at 100,000; rebuilt and failed again at 130,000)
Broken, leaking axle at 130,000
Leaking power steering pump
Cam tensioner
Belt tensioner

Turbo Nicely designed interior and exterior Comfortable to drive; Handled well

Better mechanical reliability all around. I spent almost as much in repairs on the car in the time that I owned it as I had bought the car for. The transmission problems were lethal to that car. Flawed transmission design. VW needs to own up to their vehicle design flaws. The ignition coil failures were a fiasco.

Fun to drive. A lot of $$$$ to repair
By cjluvdub

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

When I drove this car off the lot it was 9 years old good condition low miles. But within a few months the problems started, needed a new fuel pump trans. started slipping shifting hard intermittently car would die once shut off and required discon & recon of battery at least once a month. Window regulator broken, drivers window switch broken, seat belt & drivers door sensor don't work(purchased it like this) & now with 110k the cat. convert is failing along with the o2 sensors(not cheap parts!) & the current problem is the braking when I first drive in the morning the brake pedal & brakes feel like they're pulsating and then it goes away for the rest of the day might be time to trade...

Gas mileage! (before the cat went bad) Turbo! Handling! Acceleration I still love Volkswagens and this will not deter me from purchasing another!

Everything that I listed above as problems! Would LOVE improvements!

Excellent car, even for parents with 1 baby!
By steveygti

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my 2001 VW GTI 1.8T GLS.
I bought this car brand new and now I have about 171k miles. This car has been a phenomenal experience for me the past 11 years.
In spite of what people say about 'electrical problems, etc.' with VWs, this car had none whatsoever.
The only things i had to replace since i bought this car were a new alternator (at 125k miles) and a new a/c compressor (at 168k miles). I regularly took this car in for an oil change and check up to VW. I am sad to let this car go and sell it so i can buy an suv since my family is growing into 4! Im thinking about getting VS again!

Great turning radius; Steering wheel is comfortable to hold for hours of driving; 1 press up/down pwr windows. Ability to open and close windows and moonroof from driver side door outside (using key in door); comfortable seats that hold you in place when you are 'hugging turns'; moon roof functions smoothly, and quietly after 11 years; Front wheel drive works great in snow and rain with the ASC (AntiSkidControl); power and heated mirrors work great during the icy weather; fog lights work great in the rainy & foggy season; all the seats fold down in the rear; rear window wiper. air bags on side of both front passenger seats,

None. This car is par excellence.

Great Car - My 2nd GTi
By Dante

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I owned an '84 GTi (the original) for 12 years, then a Jetta GLi for 8 more years. After a quick stint with another vehicle, I went back to VW. I bought this car used, with 60k miles already on it. I am now very close to 100k and I absolutely love this car. Only problems I have had is: replacing the water pump (normal) and a bad coil pack (normal?). I maintain it religiously, running only synthetic oil. I honestly never have to open the hood between changes - it uses absolutely no oil, and the old oil is only moderately dirty after 5k miles. One odd issue - I have to top off the power steering fluid every 5k-6k miles and I see none of it leaking out(?)

Acceleration in 3rd gear Comfy (heated) seats Sunroof

Better cup holders (big deal) Body seems to flex a bit around tight turns - maybe a sway bar or a ROLL CAGE :) Turning radius is a bit wide Tinted windows (a must with a black leather interior)

Love this car
By Amy

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

No mods and I'm terrible at maintenance. I pay about $1000 every other year on maintenance, usually get get rid of the check engine light. Love the car. I'm going to keep it as long as it keeps going. I can't find another car with all the features this has. Manual is the way to go. Even as a used car I would recommend. Quite reliable.

Speed. Heated seats. Cargo space. Sound system. Dash lights. Sunroof. Heater and A/C are great. Reliable.

Cup holder. Ipod plug in.