Used 2006 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Golf

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

TDIs are the greatest!
By JD400

2006 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I now have 60000 miles on my Golf TDI and am still astounded by the quality of this little car. Fuel mileage continues to average 45 MPG, and the car remains solid and problem free. I can drive it hard when the mood strikes, but it's also great for hauling stuff. Rear seats fold completely flat, making a nice cargo area. Highly recommended little car. If considering a used TDI, make sure the proper VW spec motor oil was used in the engine. Regular motor oil will gum up the turbo and other engine parts.

Combination of performance and economy; practicality; comfortable ride; solid feel; good handling; no rattles after 60k.

Interior fabric is not a durable as it should be (some fraying around the driver seat); clunky shifter; wind noise a little higher than it should be.

Horrible
By Bill

2006 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

it is the ugliest car that I have ever had. It rides horribly, and it falls apart easily. I have never had a car this bad.

I do not like anything at all about it.

Just throw it out and make a better car.

70 mpg
By crazzy

2006 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The Golf GLS TDI is a comfortabe car that gets 70 mpg at 60 mph on flat ground without the A/C on and 47 mpg at 75 mph with the A/C on. It will do extremely high speeds in 5th gear. It even runs great on 20% soy oil or any other kind of veggie oil. The only down side is you must cool down the turbocharger for up to five minutes.

It handles quite well and stops very well. It accelerates from 2,000 rpm to 4,500 rpm very quickly when it been chipped.

I suggest a turbo cool down system.

Golf TDI
By robert koepp

2006 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is a great little car. I'm glad that I bought it when I did. It seems they are hard to come by. I keep very careful record of my gas mileage and the overall average is approxiately 43 miles/gallon. It is a great little car that seems to be well built.

I am really impressed with how big the rear cargo area is.

It needs more pin striping, I have to do that on my own.

Awesome German Egineering
By Anthony

2006 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is my second Golf, my fourth VW, and my first TDI. I love it so much for its good fuel economy. My wife traded her Bettle Convertible for the new Jetta TDI (VW #5).

I love the good fuel economy and time proven engineering.

A solar powered fan in the vent system to cycle air through the car and reduce green house effects in summer heat would be neat.