Used 2004 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews - 55 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Golf

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Great Car!!
By copper

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Bought my tdi Golf new in 2004, and currently have 156,000kms on the odometer. The car has always been serviced as required, and only synthetic oil changes every 8000 km. The car is peppy around town, and great on the highways. I drive approx. 40,000 km per year, mostly highway, but also a good portion in city. The car is very reliable, I have never had any problems with it at all. Just had the timing belt replaced as per the schedule. Never had a problem with cold starts. Runs every time. Very reliable even with a full load, and no problems passing going uphill. Great car.

The 5 speed is sporty, and makes driving more enjoyable. Passing the long lines at gas stations is also fun!! The savings from using diesel are also good!!

No problems to speak of, however, maybe a navigation system would be useful.

Painfully unreliable
By Peter

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We liked it all till we had it a week. The weather turned cold. The car had no heat, replaced the computer. Had to go back numerous times to find the problem. Still not good heat. Would not start. Ignition key assembly replaced. Glow plugs quit. Other electrical controls faulty. Car jerks and bucks. Transmission controls were replaced through a complete removal, repair, replace. Still not fixed. Very noisy rubber bushings in the rear were replaced but needs it again. Economy is about 38-40 mpg, not the 65 that was advertised. There are numerous annoying squeaks and rattles in the dash and front doors. VW dealership is trying, and the warranty is still working. Ouch!

Attractive design. Nice handling, good brakes. Love the dash lights and design. Good cruise controls, and headlights. Fair visibility all around. Heated seats are excellent

Electrical system needs a serious overhaul for dependability. Power seats would be welcome. Options for GPS, compass, mileage etc. A more comfortably designed seat, a bit softer and more adjustable, as well as more easily adjustable. Tilt steering.

Lots of miles
By mnoeltne

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I now have 122,000 miles on my 04 Golf TDI in only 3.5 years. Overall it's been a great car. Excellent fuel economy, good performance, especially in the mountains, and surprisingly reliable. I say surprising because a lot of people come down on VWs for bad reliability. I can say that has not been the case for my car. Just routine maintenance, and a couple of recalls. And even Toyota has recalls. My wife has a Toyota Corolla, but I strongly prefer to drive my VW. It has a better ride, and much more comfortable seating positions than the Toyota. Once I put another 150,000 miles or so on this one, I will probably buy another.

Great economy, and good power with the diesel. Excellent ride for this size vehicle.

A fantastic economical car
By dretal

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I used my golf diesel to tow trailers and all I need to setup and race motorcycles throughout Canada. I never had any problems, and the diesel engine had no problems towing the loaded car and trailer at 130 KM/hr. We love the car. In winter, we park it inside our heated (10°C) garage, avoiding any cold-weather startup issues, but when it does sleep outside, I've never had problems starting it.

diesel engine, comfort, handling, precise steering, solid frame.

speakers are not well balanced. I would select another colour THAN BLACK, and the washer fluid spaiyer are in the way when deicing the windshield.

Great for 30,000 miles, then problems
By Andy

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had always wanted a VW Golf and after driving several comparable models, researching (not good enough, apparently) I decided on a 2004 VW Golf GLS. 5 speed tranny, everything else needed was standard - big selling point. The first 30,000 miles clicked by without fail or problems. But along the 32,000 mile mark, my ECT light came on, and after a few trips to a dealer, the problem persisted. The result of the light coming on was that the car operated at around 60% of its power, with cruise not working and as you ascend any hill, you can't even grab a gear to accelerate. Finally sold the car (took a big hit) and bought a Toyota - what I should have done in the first place. No more VWs.

Transmission, fun-to-drive feel, hatchbacks are great!

Better build quality and reliability - tremendous let down when only 37,000 miles gets on the odo and you have a few dealers tell you they can't fix the problem - ECT.