Used 2004 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Awesome Car
By PO2 Richard W.

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

So my review for my 2004 Golf TDI is based off my owning it for the last two months. I had to take a step back in time to answer the survey to base it off of it being 13 years old and not quite as tech'y or up to date on interior design as of today. But overall this is one fine auto, I average 37 MPG on B5 Bio or regular Diesel. the body is of sleek design and looks great. I would expect a diesel to be more torquey but it seems to be lacking in that department. The power band is set to that of a 1990's coupe(CIVIC 5 speed 92hp great power for the time but not very good now a days). The interior for the GLS is more of what I would consider at base model interior. I have put around 6000 miles on the vehicle since purchasing it as I drive 92 miles a day to and from work. I have yet to have any major issues in that time I have not done an oil change yet but will be doing one very soon. The seat heater is a blessing to have with Seattle weather. I recommend this vehicle to everyone. If you find one in good condition that has decent milage scoop it up even if it has a turbo issue I've seen them on amazon for $350.

The only car my kid ever knew
By Daniel

2004 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car as demo in December 2004. Had a few warranty repairs in first few years. Car drives almost exclusively in the city thus lots of wear and tear on the body and drive train. Interior held up pretty good, seats remain well shaped and without rips. Recently ceiling material has started to come loose. Has 85000 miles and had to replace solenoid bodies in transmission. Also had AC compressor clutch replaced. Boots on Inner CV joints need replacing. Generally reliable and fun and comfortable drive. Recently drove much newer Honda Civic and Toyota Prius, both felt extremely sluggish in comparison even though they both were 9 years younger and less than half of the mileage.

A genuinely great car!
By colin1444

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Got this for my first car. I've wanted one for a very long time, and I bought it with 95,600 miles and a clean service history record. Not a problem since, just regular maintenance. Drives like a little sports car, and the trunk is huge for a car this size. I love how light and agile it is. It might be slow, but it's more fun to drive slow cars fast than fast cars slow! I would definitely recommend this to anyone, especially since it comes in two- or four-door models. Without a doubt, one of the most well-made cars out there. NICE JOB VW!

Handling / Steering, Gas Mileage, Safety, Quality

(Allegedly) marginal reliability, small rear seat, a bit of body roll when cornering, pretty slow

The best car I have ever owned
By dennycreekls

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

My Golf 2.0 (2004) Automatic 2 Dr. Hatchback is the best little car I have every owned.
I bought the car with only 3000 miles on it--it now has 36,000 and still purrs.
It rides clean and very quiet--the interior is pretty--the exterior sporty.
NOTHING HAS EVER GONE WRONG WITH MY LITTLE BABY GOLF.
I put the gas mileage at around 38 MPG/on HWY-little less in city (I don't do city though)
The only item that needed to be replaced from 3000-36,000 miles was my battery because I drive the car from the Pacific Northwest to Arizona at least 3-4 times a year. In AZ the battery gets sucked dry fast in the heat and humidity.
Only other car that compares to the Golf was my Honda Odyssey.

The engine is so darn quiet. Cup holders and gadgets just seem to be in the right places. Great gas mileage. It is a cute looking little car.

Fun Car to Drive, Lacks Performance
By bb0029

2004 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I drive this car about 50 miles a day to and from work. Comfortable ride and overall a pleasure to drive. This car makes the daily commute bearable for me.

I like the "cockpit" feel and the easy to see and read gauges. Sporty feel to it as well. If you drive it like a normal human being you can get close to 30 mpg.

The 2.0 L automatic lacks power. They should of just used the 1.8 L with a small turbo. My biggest complaint is the plastic gears they continue to use in the window regulators.