Used 2003 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews - 93 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Golf

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Efficient and Reliable
By cannoncam

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've got 221,000 miles on my TDI and it's running like it's got a quarter of the mileage on it. It's a great commuter and the gas mileage is what sells the car. It is a little under powered but for 45 mpg's the sacrifice is well worth it. The looks are good but not everyones cup of tea (I've upgraded a few things here and there and it is quite the little head turner). The interior is much nicer than most American or Japanese cars but it is pretty basic for a German car. The build quality is typical German excellence, rock solid. The drive is nice, great for the highway but not the most fun car to take on twisty roads.
My advice, upgrade a few things and this car will be golden forever.

TDI engine (gas mileage and torque), hatch, looks, build quality, reliability

All wheel drive, nicer seats, more power

Buyer's Beware
By Remorseful Buyer

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new in 2002. At first, everything was great. Good gas mileage. Sporty little car. Great for zipping around town and did well on road trips. However, it started having all sorts of problems after about 18-24 months, beginning with the "small" and annoying (head lights constantly burning out, display lights inexplicably going off and coming on, airbags needed replacement without ever having been used or the car being in an accident). Then, around 65,000 miles, the check engine light was constantly on. Then, the transmission blew and it needed a new timing belt, air sensor, alternator & more. It has cost me thousands to repair and has become a money pit.

Holds an amazing amount of stuff. Good gas mileage. Comfortable to drive.

Convenience features: better cup holder; option for leather interior; option for 6-disc CD changer, satellite radio & MP3 jack. Performance, reliability & mechanical: drastically improve the quality of mechanical parts & function. A car that has been used gently shouldn't be dying at 60,000+ miles.

I'm very glad i bought this car
By refloyd

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new and have mostly used this for city driving. I haul a lot of stuff. I'm a paint contractor and I do work in decorative concrete. I can fit my little giant ladders inside the vehicle, and other ladders on my roof rack. It handles a lot of sacks of concrete, with no adverse effects on braking, handling. I can get 8' 2x4s in there also. I've gotten 4 sheets of 3/4 ply on the roof and still an easy drive. Its surprising just how much this can haul. This is a fantastic Urban car. The best, imho. Enough power to hit the highways in the burbs. Short enough to parallel park in tight spots. Amble space for groceries. And great mpg for city.

1.size vs cargo space. there's a lot of bang for your buck here. 2. length. i can park this puppy anywhere. 3. fold down seats. 4. the spare tire is a real tire, not a temp. 4. foldable side mirrors. a must for city parking.

I would rubberize the storage area and back of the fold down seats. The leather stick shift cover should be redesigned to have less abrasion. I'd actually prefer it to be a little bit boxier the cupholder for the 2003 version is a bit pathetic. It's fixed in newer models.

2003 VW Golf GL 2.0L
By Golf owner

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2003 vw golf GL 2.0L with only 35,000 miles on it. I love this car. Its not a sports car by all means, but even with just the 2.0L it goes like a bat outta hell. I was iffy on buying another VW because my sister has a 02' jetta 1.8t and to my knowledge of people whom have owned that engine. They hate it, always in & out the shop (mostly transmission problems and just everything goes wrong in it). Hints why I bought a 2.0L. LOVE IT There's always been VW in my family, dad had an old beetle, and a square back.

I love the Lights inside the car. The seats are really comfortable for me. Love love the candy white paint.

I would suggest more power. But it does need a bigger gas tank. Only has a 12.5gallon tank. Saves you money at the pump but would be nicer with a 16gallon for more mileage.

Constant costly repairs
By bozzo

2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Original owner blew motor due to low oil and had a brand new 1.9l engine and turbo charger, decarbed, replaced EGR valve, water pump, timing belt and tensioner at 135,000 kms. At 160,00, replaced glow plug harness. 163,000 kms mass air low circuit replaced. I bought it with 172,000 kms on car and 35,000 on new motor. At 223,000 replaced front struts and mounts and sway bar bushing, 226,000 cleaned airtake manifold and carbon, new timing belt, water pump. 242,000 replaced fan motor for heater. At 302,000 engine light remains on and blowing some oil out somewhere and the alternator pully came off. Both are expensive repairs. Uncomfortable seats, and cheaply built - not worth the repair bills.

Good fuel economy, love the heated seats and mirrors.

More comfortable seats, be able to keep headrests on when putting down back seats, a lip over doors to prevent doors and hatchback from freezing. Better radio sound/speakers, interior material better quality, skid plate cover stronger material, electrical/computers system more reliable, rear wiper.