2002 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Review: Good run

2002 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Review

GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

Good run
By little_eva on

2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car new in 2002 after 14 great years with a Jetta. I've now had 15 years with it and at 138,000 miles, it's still in pretty good shape despite my carelessness. I have hauled too much landscaping material and broke the springs driving over potholes. Replaced the full set of tires twice but have not replaced the brakes or any other costly items. There is some rust on the body around the wheels - cost of living in a wintery environment and not washing it enough. This car has FWD and has performed well when the snow is less than 5 inches on the road. Fun to drive - lots of pep and handles corners well. Tight turning radius very helpful for u-turns. Good gas mileage. I'm spoiled.
This car has more bells/whistles than the Jetta did. It's too smart as it locks itself at 5 mph or within a few minutes of me parking. Bluetooth and navigation systems were invented after I bought this car; no loss to me. It's comfortable for me to drive in the city, as I am short, but cramped for long drives and hard for passengers with long legs/big feet to get in/out. I've been happy with the dealer maintenance but VW is expensive. They have given me some work arounds as VW will now fix your car with non-VW parts if you ask.

• Getting in out
  • Outward visibility
  • Rain snow traction
  • Headlights
  • Fuel economy

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review