Used 2000 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Golf for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons
3.75 out of 5 stars

High Repair Costs

NJ Jellybean, 06/30/2003
GL TDi 2dr Hatchback

I bought my TDI new. I have put on a lot of miles, so the good gas milage is great. However, I have experienced high repair cost so what I am saving in gas I am paying in repairs. Not many mechanics can work on diesel engines so I am a the mercy of the dealer. At 80K miles my turbo died. Still waiting to hear why and how much it is to repair. Service provided by VW is very expensive ($82/hr for labor). Additionally, VW charges more for any work done on a diesel vehicle. Regular oil change cost $55.

5 out of 5 stars

Had been there for me at worst of times

Kameron , 06/17/2021
GL 2dr Hatchback

I got my Golf 2.0 2dr GL back in 2017 at 310,000km now today 2021 almost 348,000 the car was neglected were I needed lower control arms, ball joints, rear calipers, steering rack, power steering pump ect and a tune up with spark plugs and wires, yes at first it's alot but i have to say it's been a great little car, I've done 6 moves over the last 4 year with it and I'm amazed at how much stuff it can hold and with the seats folded down it can fit a 55" flat screen in the back in the box. Handling is vary good for being a GL not a GTI. It's acceleration is more than enough for being in the city and it gets onto the highway with ease, gas mileage in tight City environment isn't really the best but every time I did my 7 hour road trips before covid it would average 37 miles per gallon on the highway which is surprising considering it's two people and a dog, and one thing I'm very thankful for is the ABS system is one of the best anti-lock braking systems I ever used and the car is phenomenal in snow if you live in Canada like me all in all the fourth-generation golf is a good car but just go over it with a fine-tooth comb and make sure it's been well-maintained and if everything checks out you're going to get a good car that will very rarely let you down.

5 out of 5 stars