Used 1997 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

I love my vdub
By Taryn

1997 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

All I really need to say is drive the car and then you would just get it. Its performance is great, wonderful and they are only getting better. I have an older one but it still runs like new. Saying that it is fun to drive is an understatement with this car. I find unnecessary trips to take now just so I can drive, even with the gas prices. I might not travel far for work and errands, but this car gets GREAT! It gets great gas mileage! It's only a 2.0L which is part of it, but even so I think that it is wonderful on gas. Its build quality is strong and you can't expect anything less from German engineering. I have always loved VW's and now it is crazy love. I would NEVER trade it for anything else! DRIVER FOUND.

It's the little things...
By rambler22

1997 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I'm 3 years into owning my 97 Golf, having bought it with 24k miles, I can say that its the little things that drive you crazy. Now at 75k+, engine is still a tiger, it's zippy and fun to drive with enough pickup to blow off slow pokes on the highway - still, I'd be hard pressed to ever buy VW again - within a year of buying, seized power locks, dead rear wiper, no intermittant wiper up front. Many obnoxious little repairs and electrical bugs = Serious pain in the butt. Cute and utile, but doesnt hold up well here in the Upstate NY Arctic!

Cute, perky, distinctive, beats a Civic with it's Euro styling and sensibility, but you'd better care more about image than comfort.

Seats are wretched, suprisingly bad in the snow, door locks and wipers are nearly useless, lots of electrical gremlins.

1997 Volkswagen Golf
By Tanzannia

1997 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback

I bought my 97 Golf brand spanking new. I loved my little love bug at first. The first year I had it...there were transmission problems. Gas milage is great. I have has my Golf for over 7 years and yes it has put me down more times than I have fingers. I know many people love their VW...finally you meet someone who doesn't...my outside paneling came off within the first 2 years. My check engine light stays on and the dealership doesn't know why. It is drama getting an emission. Recently my emergency brake is now retarded. I cant park on hills...And I took good car of this car...anyoneconsidering this car...think again..I should have gone with Toyota!

The sun roof that no longer works! Or maybe the driver's side lock that came out after 3 years!

Great little bargin
By jagang78

1997 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback

Although not the cheapest and for the
money do don't get what you might get
in others it was 7k well spent. 3
years down the road and my 97' Golf is
still going strong and approaching the
100k mile mark.

It's power is undoubtedly lacking, but
on freeways it's really unoticable.
Comfortable, fun to drive, frugal and
distinct. Only real problems you might
have is finding a place to get it
serviced and the extra money that will
cost you.

It comfortably sits 4, 5 is a squeeze
and trunk room isn't all that great,
but if you're looking for more then
you're probably not looking for this
car.

Nice, fun and frugal to drive. Golf is
a good choice.

Fun to drive. Great on Gas. Small size means fits almost anywhere.

More powerful engine would have been nice, and some of the quality of interior and exterior parts leaves to be desired.

Golf K2- So fun to drive
By Timmybung

1997 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback K2 4dr Hatchback

I just purchased a '97 Golf GL (K2
Edition) and so far I love it. Great
fun to drive, corners great, enough zip
to get me moving. Fit & finish at
87,000 miles is still very good.

Love the heated seats, fog lights are SUPER bright.

Vacuum pump for central locks was fried when I bought the car. Rear wiper motor was also bad- had to disassemble gearbox to free it up.