Used 2019 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Golf SportWagen for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

A great buy at ANY price!

Sue from Georgia, 07/18/2019
1.4T S 4dr Wagon (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

This is a LOT of car for the money, and with VW's generous incentives, I paid considerably less than you would think. I can drive it all day with ease and comfort, fantastic visibility, loads of cargo room, nicely-designed driver's cockpit make this an exceptional car for the money. I like the cloth seats better than the simulated leather, as they seem to be cooler on hot days. I do miss is a built-in on-board GPS. If you don't have a smartphone, you're in trouble. Back seat passenger space can be a little lacking, but I didn't buy this to haul around other adults. For a small car, cargo area is massive. Nice fit and finish -- and I'm pretty picky. When you close the door, it thumps like a Mercedes, it doesn't ping like some other imports. Fun to drive, great handling, quiet, I just can't say enough good things about this automobile. 8 MONTH UPDATE: I've got 10k miles on the car now, and I still love it. It has been bulletproof reliable, no problems. One recall for a micro-switch was quickly and easily addressed at the first (complimentary) oil change visit. The hauling capacity has been impressive. Twice I have hauled a full-size 6-foot door with no problems -- and with the rear hatch closed all the way! Driving it is still fun and sportscar-like. I put a tow hitch on it and am able to haul around my SeaDoo pwc, (front-wheel drive makes launching and retrieving from water a breeze), and occasionally I haul a utility trailer. I do miss having a built-in c.d. player and gps, though, and will be purchasing a windshield-mount gps for this car, as many areas where I live have no cell reception, so no gps on the phone, either. Visibility whilst driving is great, with absolutely NO blind spots. Acceleration is also impressive. When you put your foot down and that turbo engages, it pops off like a rocket. Great mpg (38) and generous-sized gas tank means the range on this car is longer than any car I've owned. The cruise control works as smoothly and seamlessly as the one in my Jaguar. After getting a flat tire in middle of Atlanta traffic, I do wish that it had a full-size spare instead of those ridiculous "donut" spares. The compact size makes parking in small spaces a breeze, and the resolution on the back-up camera is excellent. Definitely highly recommend this fine automobile!

Golf Sportwagon 4 Motion

Jeff, 05/28/2019
1.8T S 4MOTION 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The VW Golf Sportwagon 4 Motion & Alltrack fills an automotive niche, especially with available manual transmission, combining suburb handling with the utility of a wagon. After looking through the wide range of taller & wider SUV look a likes, the lower car like stance of the Sportwagon made it fun to drive and easier to load roof top bikes & kayaks. If one is looking for an affordable sporty all wheel drive wagon the Golf is worth a test drive.

Best Car Ever

Warren A. Winner, 06/03/2019
1.4T SE 4dr Wagon (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

My Sportwagen is fun to drive, economical and great looking. Folks are always coming up to me with comment about how nice the car is. It is fast, comfortable, great handling and great in every way. The Tornado Red and AllTrak drive make this a real keeper

Sportwagen rules!

Whitney Talcott, 06/15/2019
1.8T S 4MOTION 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After a long and somewhat biased search for a new car I pulled the trigger and bought a new manual tranny 4motion Sportwagen. It's a great car with modern amenities, good road handling and the throwback manual transmission, which is the way god intended us to drive. My previous car was/is a Jetta wagon which has 270K on the clock and still is going strong, fun to drive and I can't seem to part it yet.

VW made an offer I couldn't refuse.

Sanford12, 08/19/2020
1.4T SE 4dr Wagon (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

A couple years ago my brother asked me what a good car for traveling that you could stretch out in back for some shuteye Since I had been looking at the Golf Sportwagens for some time I recommended one of those. A year ago he pulled the trigger on a Alltrack. Since they were on closeout he got and incredible deal and is very happy with the VW. My 2 vehicles I was coming from were a 2017 Alfa Giulia and a 2016 Ford Escape Titanium.. The Alfa was an amazing car but it was time to move on. Same with the 240 horse Ecoboost Escape. The Ford was a good solid vehicle, Very comfortable with a great stereo but so so gas mileage and a small gas tank irked me. The Alfa got 6 miles to the gallon better mpg traveling at interstate speeds(27 vs 33). That got me looking at the Sportwagen again. Living in Lexington KY I started my search. There were none to be had so I extended my search. I found 4 new SE's at a dealer Rockville Maryland. All equipped the same just different colors. I thought that's quite a jaunt then I saw the price. A 31,000 dollar car for 22,000. Worked out to be 9200 off of sticker. Gave the dealer a call worked out the details down to the trade-in on the Escape. 2 days later I was on my way. Dealer was very good and got me on the road home with-in 2 hours. I've got about 7000 on it now without a hiccup. With a few long drives under it's belt it's proven to be very comfortable traveling and beats the 37 mpg spec and at times by 4 mpg traveling at 72 mph on the interstate and over 400 miles between fill-ups. Great stereo and one of the few cars that has a CD player, it won't see much use with 84 gigs of Flac files on a SD card. Where I disagree with Edmunds review are with the "Ride is very busy and bumpy over broken pavement" and "Odd brake feel leads to clunky stops every time". I haven't experienced the jitter ride over lesser roads. The odd brake feel is a complaint that the Alfa shares with the Sportwagen. Once you learn how the brakes operate there's no every time cluck and for me never was. Do I think the front brakes should be bigger? Yes I do. Great car! Don't see it going anywhere anytime soon. Update: The Sportwagen has only reinforced my already high opinion of the car. With only 2wd it's still very good in the snow. It's just a great cut