Used 2017 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Golf SportWagen for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

TSI SE a good replacement for the TDI Sportwagen

chuck maricle, 11/07/2016
TSI SE 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Struggling like many TDI owners for the "perfect replacement" for the perfect car, my 2011 VW TDI Sportwagen 6-speed, the 2017 Golf Sportwagen SE TSI exceeds my expectations. It doesn't pull "off the line" line the diesel and unfortunately VW does not have a 6-speed in the SE line (which is sad). The transmission also seems to hunt at low speed but it is not bothersome. At 65mph on a trip I have averaged 40-41mpg and at 75mph 37-38 range which is acceptable. The TSI engine works well at 75mph+ and is smooth at these highway speeds with peppy acceleration. That said, the improvement in technology in only six model years is astonishing and the panoramic sun roof is outstanding. VW does need to move the USB interface for the connection for the Apple CarPlay or make a notch to accomodate the USB cable when the access door is closed. I am very satisfied with the Golf Sportwagen SE and do not regret the purchase in any way. German beats Japanese any day when it comes to vehicles. 5/8/2017 I have 8500 miles on the car now and it has been flawless. The last software update seemed to have corrected a few issues with the Apple CarPlay and nav map integration from the iphone (factory nav systems are a waste of money when you have the carplay app). I change the oil and rotate the tires every 5000 miles, I do not like the VW 10000 mile oil change schedule. Mileage has actually improved a bit to near 40 on the highway. I have no fit/finish issues and it has proven very comfortable on a road trip. Extremely pleased!

A good value

Buckeye, 11/07/2016
TSI S 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Wanted a replacement for our ten year old Volvo wagon which functioned as an extra car to haul stuff and for winter driving. This VW Sports Wagon is a bargain from a cost perspective and is more than adequete to meet our needs. Looked at new Volvo, BMW and even used mid size SUV but the VW delivered the most bang for the buck.

If like driving there is NOTHING else 4 this $$

Bob Edwards, 11/19/2017
TSI S 4Motion 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

*Update*: This is all still good. At 25,000 miles the *only* issue that is sort of classic volkswagen in my experience is the rear hatch gaps were off so when the hatch closes it has chipped the paint significantly. It is being covered under warranty. *end update* This is a 20000 AWD economy box. It serves all the purpose any econo-box should- reliably and efficiently hauling kids, groceries, skis, dogs, gardening supplies, etc. That said, If your circumstance requires you to shop in this price range there is NOTHING else available like this that is even close IF you actually like to drive cars as opposed to ride in them. Manual transmission: check. Readily accessible instant on usable power at any speed: check. Car designed to do what is supposed to at speed on off camber mountain road on snow pack: check. If you currently enjoy your Subaru Outback, please buy another one. If driving your outback/Highlander/Pilot/gmc box has sucked the joy out of driving for you - BUY THIS CAR.

The 2017 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI - It's a winner!!

ed barry, 01/07/2017
TSI SE 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The VW Golf Sportwagen TSI is a versatile vehicle - offers the space of a station wagon and the driving experience of a car. The TSI gasoline turbo charged engine provides very good power, acceleration, and gas mileage. The SE model is loaded with great features and upgrades. It is larger than the previous Jetta Sportwagen. A wonderful vehicle for local driving, shopping, vacations and carrying your dog. Be sure to check it out at your local VW dealer. ( Update 7/19/19 ) Vehicle is serving us well. Just turned 23,000 miles after 2 1/2 years. No mechanical problems experienced, just routine OFL service performed at 10,000 mile intervals. On trips fuel mileage reaching 31 - 32 mpg. Ample power, runs smooth. enjoying large sunroof when open, and ample interior space. Great vehicle for family use.

My Little Blue Wagon

Eric Jazzman, 05/29/2019
TSI SE 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car was purchased after almost a year of research and searching for a used vehicle that met my needs and budget. I wasn't looking for a new vehicle because of cost and the extreme depreciation that it suffers as soon as you drive it off the lot. However, I cam across a local dealer's price on a new VW Golf Sportwagen that I thought couldn't be true. I talked with salesperson and was assured it was. The fact that I've owned at least 6 VW's in the past and have had too many reliability issues made me question the wisdom of this purchase. But, the new 6 yr/72K warranty and the low price convinced me to go for it. I knew from my past VW's that I would enjoy the driving experience and this Sportwagen doesn't disappoint. The handling, acceleration and steering are great with a typical German feel. The spaciousness of the interior and the visability are tremendous. My only gripe with the car is with the air conditioning. I have to keep the temperature control to full cold and run the fan at a higher level than I would like to keep the Florida heat at bay. I'm sure the amount of glass area has a lot to do with this, but the A/C is not up to my experience with BMW's and American made cars. Overall I'm very happy with my purchase. Ask me again in a year or two to see if I still feel that way. UPDATE: I am still enjoying the car. It’s very zippy with great ability to pull away from traffic, while still averaging 28mpg in mixed driving. Nothing has gone wrong with the car but I’ve still only put on about 6k miles total. My only complaints are still the rather impotent A/C and the unimpressive Hankook tires.