2017 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Golf SportWagen model:

SUV that's fun to drive
By Dave Petranek

2017 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI SE 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car has had zero issues for the past 30,000 miles, other than trunk liner on ski pass through started peeling off. Previously drove a diesel and this mileage is almost as good. 40's on the highway typical, unless strong headwind. Feels a bit low to the ground, in the land or stilted pickups and SUVs but can snake through them with ease. Amazingly roomy inside for the size.

If like driving there is NOTHING else 4 this $$
By Bob Edwards

2017 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI S 4Motion 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a 20000 AWD economy box. It serves all the purpose any econo-box should. That said, If your circumstance requires you to shop in this price range there is NOTHING else available like this that is even close IF you actually like to drive cars as opposed to ride in them. Manual: check. Readily accessible instant on usable power at any speed: check. Car designed to do what is supposed to when trail braking at speed on off camber mountain road on snow pack: check. If you currently enjoy your Subaru Outback, please buy another one. If driving your outback/Highlander/Pilot/gmc whatever has sucked the joy out of driving for you - BUY THIS CAR.

'17 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 4Motion S v VW Alltrack
By Richard Walter

I had a 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE 6-speed manual, which had a panoramic sunroof, keyless entry, keyless ignition, a premium sound system, fog lights, LED interior lighting, a lockable glovebox, three prong outlets, and leatherette seats - all these features are lacking from the 2017 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion S 6-speed manual that I just purchased to replace my TDI. I miss those features on my TDI - it made the TDI feel upscale. I had to special order my 2017 Sportwagen to get the manual shift, but it was worth it. Without a manual shift, I probably would not have gotten another VW to replace my TDI. There are things I like about my new Sportwagen such as it wasn't expensive relative to other cars in its class; it has all wheel drive, which did great on the interstate last week during a nor'easter of wet heavy snow; has a peppy engine; is fun to drive; has ample space; and has nice fit and finish. I don't like that it gets about 28 mpg in mixed driving which pales in comparison to my TDI that average 47 mpg; the cloth seats attract dog hair; no power seat; and the absence of the features that my TDI had. Other than that, it's a good car and I'm happy with the Sportwagen compared to other models available now because it's a manual shift wagon with a turbo. I am having trouble with the Apple CarPlay - toggling between it and the radio. I might have buyer's remorse that I didn't spring for the Golf Alltrack SE, because it does come with all the features I miss from my TDI and is available in a manual. Then again, it is more than $5,000 more than the Sportwagen... So in conclusion, if you want a Sportwagen with a manual and more bells and whistles go for the Alltrack SE.

Goodby 2004 Outback!
By Gerry White

2017 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI SE 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We had a 2000 Golf for 10 years and really enjoyed it. The Sportwagen brought us back all of the features we liked and added today's technology. We're replacing a 2004 Outback and felt we got more for our money when comparing them against each other. Got almost 39 MPG on a recent 200 mile highway trip.

The 2017 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI - It's a winner!!
By ed barry

2017 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI SE 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The VW Golf Sportwagen TSI is a versatile vehicle - offers the space of a station wagon and the driving experience of a car. The TSI gasoline turbo charged engine provides very good power, acceleration, and gas mileage. The SE model is loaded with great features and upgrades. It is larger than the previous Jetta Sportwagen. A wonderful vehicle for local driving, shopping, vacations and carrying your dog. Be sure to check it out at your local VW dealer.