2016 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Wagon Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf SportWagen model:

fun wagon with some quality issues
By Max Ruzanov

2016 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Wagon TSI Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Got this after my lease on Sportwagen TDI expired. Two major gripes about the car - automatic transmission is jerky when car slows down to about 30-20mph and right before stopping. As if it doesn't know what to do, downshifting gears abruptly. Unpleasant. Second - after about 5 months of driving it, noticed a sizable stain on the roof (moonroof) liner right where it meets rear tailgate. It has overtime became slightly less than a foot long and is as wide as the whole roof. Car is being taken care of right now by the dealer, who is doing great job keeping me updated on the progress. But it seems like serious manufacturing defect due to improper welding around moonroof. A smaller thing, but also annoying. When accelerating, if I press the pedal quickly nothing happens at all for the first half a second or so, then it suddenly jumps. There is a certain amount of lag and it seems to become more and more noticeable as I drive the car more. Everything else about the car is fantastic, I was able to hit 40 mpg on my way to work during 22 mile drive many times. Usually, if driven carefully, the car achieves 35mpg no problem. Very spacious and sporty at the same time. Interior quality is so much better than many Japanese cars and design is more subtle, minimalistic, just right for me.

Poor Quality
By tobyhatesmemes

Great car if you're not worried about quality and reliability issues. I had to bring the car to the dealer for three separate repairs before I hit 10,000 miles. Twice for a leaking sunroof, and I've also had issues with vibration at highway speeds, window squeaks, and peeling paint on the rear bumper.

Engine is alright, but the transmission is completely out of its element at speeds between 20 and 60 mph. If you keep it in drive, it will have you lugging the engine up a hill in 6th gear at 30 mph.

On a positive note, the ride is excellent (when the car isn't vibrating), the interior is great, and the seats are comfortable.

Vonderful Volkswagon Vagon
By Mary Brown

2016 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Wagon TSI S 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It's perfect for someone wanting a small commuter car with lots of room when needed. Cargo space is great. The ride is comfortable. The car drives well and the tornado red is the perfect color. I love it!

A happy surprise
By Fred Stewart

2016 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Wagon TSI S 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

i came to the golf sport wagon because there are almost no other wagons offered. i am amazed how much i love this car! My 2003 BMW 3 series wagon with 260k miles needs 4 or 5 thousand worth of rehab (who wouldn't at this point?) . So I parked in the garage and covered it with quilts, a project for better times. I hope VW can survive the onslaught of law suits that are heading it's way, because I am truly a VW fan. It is very well designed and produced. I feel as good as when I bought my first pair of Uggs...That good! Really. I can think of no down side to this car and I got the cheap one, I cannot believe the amount of stuff I got standard. Check this car out by all means

Duly Impressed After a Sportwagen TDI
By PJBilotta

As owners of a much beloved 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, we thought long and hard about purchasing another VW. After evaluating many options, we decided on a new 2016 Golf Sportwagen TSI as our second vehicle, and as an eventual replacement of the TDI when VW buys it back in the months to come. So, we're in the unusual position of driving both right now in a real apples-to-apples comparison. We LOVED our TDI, but this new Golf Sportwagen simply slays it. A more responsive engine, superior transmission, smoother and quieter ride, more controlled handling and braking (didn't think we could get better than the TDI), better interior and exterior fit and finish, and a slightly higher seat position and more interior and storage space have already convinced us we made the right decision. I'm back to driving the TDI the past week as my wife is driving the new car, and it feels like a tank in comparison. It didn't hurt that we got an incredible deal on a 2016 yyear-ennd close-out. On the con side, the TSI has significantly less torque than the TDI, but we're surprised that the TSI actually has better acceleration. There's also no way to match the TDI's great fuel milage, and the range is significantly lower both because of milage and the TSI's smaller tank. All-in-all, I think you'll be pleased with this new version of the Sportwagen compared to other options out there.