Used 2016 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Wagon Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Wagon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf SportWagen model:

The car that made me leave VW after 30+ years
By Chris A

2016 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Wagon TSI SEL 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've had the original Beetle (3 of them), a Fox, a Jetta, two Passats (wagon and sedan), a Golf four door and the Golf Sportwagen in question. Hands down the Golf Sportwagen was the poorest engineered, worst build quality and worst to live with VW of any of them. The car is built for European drivers, which is what I liked about it. But the US version features a terrible transmission that shifts very roughly. So roughly that it made a loud thump noise when downshifting at low speeds. It upshifted far too quickly, being geared for economy. This tendency to hold the highest gear possible robbed the ho-hum 1.8 turbo of it's decent power. The rpms fell so low that the engine transmitted vibrations in to the cabin, along with an unpleasant low drone. I took the car to the dealer with less than 5,000 miles on and was told this is how the car was designed. I found it shocking that a company known for being driver oriented would allow such an engine/transmission combo to be built. The build quality was shocking bad. And I'm not referring to squeaks and rattles or panel fit. I'm talking about the trick back up camera that emerges from the VW logo on the tailgate breaking at less than 30,000 miles. A sunroof leak that took three months to fix, leaving me with the third headliner that had been in the car to be stained with water spots. The entire sunroof had to be taken out of the car so that the body could be sanded to remove bumps so that the seal could be tight enough to prevent leaks. The service from my local VW dealer (where I had worked at one time) was so bad that I was afraid to keep the car when the bumper to bumper warranty expired. Servicing costs were so high that I questioned why I hadn't bought a certified pre-owned Audi. I've always heard that if you buy a VW, you either get a really good one or a bad one. This Golf Sportwagen was a bad one. Beware when buying a used VW. Expecially a higher trim level with special features that make it seem like a great value. These same features may end up costing you quite a bit of money. Your best bet for a Golf Sportwagen is a base version with a manual transmission. If bought in that spec, the only thing your Golf Sportwagen may need is a back up camera.

So Far it has been a Great Experience!!
By WV Driver

2016 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Wagon TSI Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I am extremely happy with the way the car handles, drives, accelerates and great gas mileage to boot.. I have taken it on several long trips, commute in it every day and can honestly say i a proud of myself for making the decision to purchase this particular car.. It cover all of the items on my checklist...

Bad electrical issues
By Alex Mark

The car is good looking for sure and gets very good highway mpg but there are glaring issues with this car. Electrical issues have really soured us on this lease. Even if we don't need to pay for the repair we are stranded at the repair shop on a regular basis. The entire steering wheel went dead and that included the airbag. There has been a poltergeist like phenomenon that occurs every time we go out of town and leave the car sitting. It gets a mind of its own and starts turning things on which in turn kill the battery but usually when we get back it still has enough juice to provide a whole show of strange possessed behavior that is hard to describe. Suffice to say that it has repeatedly stranded us and it's not what I expect out of a two year old vehicle with 19k on it.

I get 44 miles per gallon on the highway
By Jim

2016 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Wagon TSI S 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have driven a lot of VW's. This is the best by far. Comfort, practicality, ride, features for the money is outstanding. This new chassis and engine design is a huge step forward. Driving from Florida to Mich and back I can always break 44 mpg on at least one leg if traffic is moving. Overall average about 40 mpg on these trips. Around town 26 is normal. Unbelievable for a peppy gas engine burning regular grade. Cargo space is more useful than smaller SUV's. Most people really don't need to push a big SUV through the wind. This small aero profile cuts through the wind with minimal resistance. Therefore the great fuel economy. BY the way, no timing belts to service on these new engines. My car is very quiet on the highway. Ride is much better than SUV. And even a leather steering wheel and shift paddles for $24K. VW means value again.

Animals will Eat Your Car
By Brian

2016 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Wagon TSI S 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The wiring and heat shield of the car is covered in a plant based product that is very tasty to small animals. We've had the car in twice because of this. VW does not consider this a warranty issue as they don't think it's a defect in workmanship or product. This is a known issue and the dealer's solution was to tell me I should consider coating the parts in a toxic material but that there was nothing they could do. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!