Used 2016 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf SportWagen model:

Bad electrical issues
By Alex Mark

2016 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The car is good looking for sure and gets very good highway mpg but there are glaring issues with this car. Electrical issues have really soured us on this lease. Even if we don't need to pay for the repair we are stranded at the repair shop on a regular basis. The entire steering wheel went dead and that included the airbag. There has been a poltergeist like phenomenon that occurs every time we go out of town and leave the car sitting. It gets a mind of its own and starts turning things on which in turn kill the battery but usually when we get back it still has enough juice to provide a whole show of strange possessed behavior that is hard to describe. Suffice to say that it has repeatedly stranded us and it's not what I expect out of a two year old vehicle with 19k on it.

I get 44 miles per gallon on the highway
By Jim

2016 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI S 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have driven a lot of VW's. This is the best by far. Comfort, practicality, ride, features for the money is outstanding. This new chassis and engine design is a huge step forward. Driving from Florida to Mich and back I can always break 44 mpg on at least one leg if traffic is moving. Overall average about 40 mpg on these trips. Around town 26 is normal. Unbelievable for a peppy gas engine burning regular grade. Cargo space is more useful than smaller SUV's. Most people really don't need to push a big SUV through the wind. This small aero profile cuts through the wind with minimal resistance. Therefore the great fuel economy. BY the way, no timing belts to service on these new engines. My car is very quiet on the highway. Ride is much better than SUV. And even a leather steering wheel and shift paddles for $24K. VW means value again.

Animals will Eat Your Car
By Brian

2016 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI S 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The wiring and heat shield of the car is covered in a plant based product that is very tasty to small animals. We've had the car in twice because of this. VW does not consider this a warranty issue as they don't think it's a defect in workmanship or product. This is a known issue and the dealer's solution was to tell me I should consider coating the parts in a toxic material but that there was nothing they could do. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!

Way Too Many Electrical Problems
By PJBilotta

Our 2016 Golf Sportwagen is a lovely vehicle - good performance, decent mileage and performance, great cargo and convenience. If only it would run. After 18 months, we're now into our fifth major electrical failure on this vehicle. Three times, the car has simply died, leaving us stranded. We've replaced keys because it says the key isn't in range of the vehicle. Twice, the battery has drained completely with the car seemingly possessed, rotating through a series of electrical glitches while parked - lights on, lights off, wipers on, wipers off, faults and warning chimes - until it's dead. One time, the electronic ignition button failed, making it impossible to start or turn off the car. And then, there was the LED instrument cluster de-laminating and failing. VW is at a loss as to how to fix this, and when they have (in the case of the failing instrument cluster), they made a hash of it, with multiple appointments to fix the problems - even though we told them exactly what the problems were. In the case of the instrument cluster, we had to return three times before they finally replaced it, and then the repair was done badly, leaving gaps in the dash and cluster due to poor installation. Beyond electrical problems, the car also has the worst city MPG of any VW we have ever owned (this is our fifth). We bought this GOLF Sportwagen to replace the TDI we turned in in the dieselgate debacle, and now wish we had abandoned VW and opted for another brand of car. This will be our last VW.

fun wagon with some quality issues
By Max Ruzanov

Got this after my lease on Sportwagen TDI expired. Two major gripes about the car - automatic transmission is jerky when car slows down to about 30-20mph and right before stopping. As if it doesn't know what to do, downshifting gears abruptly. Unpleasant. Second - after about 5 months of driving it, noticed a sizable stain on the roof (moonroof) liner right where it meets rear tailgate. It has overtime became slightly less than a foot long and is as wide as the whole roof. Car is being taken care of right now by the dealer, who is doing great job keeping me updated on the progress. But it seems like serious manufacturing defect due to improper welding around moonroof. A smaller thing, but also annoying. When accelerating, if I press the pedal quickly nothing happens at all for the first half a second or so, then it suddenly jumps. There is a certain amount of lag and it seems to become more and more noticeable as I drive the car more. Everything else about the car is fantastic, I was able to hit 40 mpg on my way to work during 22 mile drive many times. Usually, if driven carefully, the car achieves 35mpg no problem. Very spacious and sporty at the same time. Interior quality is so much better than many Japanese cars and design is more subtle, minimalistic, just right for me.