Used 2016 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf SportWagen model:

Way Too Many Electrical Problems
By PJBilotta

2016 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Our 2016 Golf Sportwagen is a lovely vehicle - good performance, decent mileage and performance, great cargo and convenience. If only it would run. After 18 months, we're now into our fifth major electrical failure on this vehicle. Three times, the car has simply died, leaving us stranded. We've replaced keys because it says the key isn't in range of the vehicle. Twice, the battery has drained completely with the car seemingly possessed, rotating through a series of electrical glitches while parked - lights on, lights off, wipers on, wipers off, faults and warning chimes - until it's dead. One time, the electronic ignition button failed, making it impossible to start or turn off the car. And then, there was the LED instrument cluster de-laminating and failing. VW is at a loss as to how to fix this, and when they have (in the case of the failing instrument cluster), they made a hash of it, with multiple appointments to fix the problems - even though we told them exactly what the problems were. In the case of the instrument cluster, we had to return three times before they finally replaced it, and then the repair was done badly, leaving gaps in the dash and cluster due to poor installation. Beyond electrical problems, the car also has the worst city MPG of any VW we have ever owned (this is our fifth). We bought this GOLF Sportwagen to replace the TDI we turned in in the dieselgate debacle, and now wish we had abandoned VW and opted for another brand of car. This will be our last VW.

fun wagon with some quality issues
By Max Ruzanov

Got this after my lease on Sportwagen TDI expired. Two major gripes about the car - automatic transmission is jerky when car slows down to about 30-20mph and right before stopping. As if it doesn't know what to do, downshifting gears abruptly. Unpleasant. Second - after about 5 months of driving it, noticed a sizable stain on the roof (moonroof) liner right where it meets rear tailgate. It has overtime became slightly less than a foot long and is as wide as the whole roof. Car is being taken care of right now by the dealer, who is doing great job keeping me updated on the progress. But it seems like serious manufacturing defect due to improper welding around moonroof. A smaller thing, but also annoying. When accelerating, if I press the pedal quickly nothing happens at all for the first half a second or so, then it suddenly jumps. There is a certain amount of lag and it seems to become more and more noticeable as I drive the car more. Everything else about the car is fantastic, I was able to hit 40 mpg on my way to work during 22 mile drive many times. Usually, if driven carefully, the car achieves 35mpg no problem. Very spacious and sporty at the same time. Interior quality is so much better than many Japanese cars and design is more subtle, minimalistic, just right for me.

Poor Quality
By tobyhatesmemes

Great car if you're not worried about quality and reliability issues. I had to bring the car to the dealer for three separate repairs before I hit 10,000 miles. Twice for a leaking sunroof, and I've also had issues with vibration at highway speeds, window squeaks, and peeling paint on the rear bumper.

Engine is alright, but the transmission is completely out of its element at speeds between 20 and 60 mph. If you keep it in drive, it will have you lugging the engine up a hill in 6th gear at 30 mph.

On a positive note, the ride is excellent (when the car isn't vibrating), the interior is great, and the seats are comfortable.

Vonderful Volkswagon Vagon
By Mary Brown

2016 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI S 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It's perfect for someone wanting a small commuter car with lots of room when needed. Cargo space is great. The ride is comfortable. The car drives well and the tornado red is the perfect color. I love it!

A happy surprise
By Fred Stewart

2016 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI S 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

i came to the golf sport wagon because there are almost no other wagons offered. i am amazed how much i love this car! My 2003 BMW 3 series wagon with 260k miles needs 4 or 5 thousand worth of rehab (who wouldn't at this point?) . So I parked in the garage and covered it with quilts, a project for better times. I hope VW can survive the onslaught of law suits that are heading it's way, because I am truly a VW fan. It is very well designed and produced. I feel as good as when I bought my first pair of Uggs...That good! Really. I can think of no down side to this car and I got the cheap one, I cannot believe the amount of stuff I got standard. Check this car out by all means