Used 2015 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Diesel Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Diesel Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf SportWagen model:

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By H. Gregory

2015 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Diesel TDI SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Other than the emissions cheating it did everything I wanted (44 + mpg) and it wanted to race every where. All I had to do was step on the fuel pedal and it was outta here in a flash. It was very responsive in every way. Lots of room and just fun to drive. Stereo system was very good - just shy of terrific. I'm looking for a 2015 VW TDI Sportwagen now in really good shape.

flashing glow plug ay 11K miles w/ bad fuel inject
By Lucci

2015 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Diesel TDI SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Love the car but reliability of German brands is slipping. I have owned many cars over my lifetime and have never had engine problem in first year of ownership of brand new car! Only bought this car because previous car a 2013 TDI Jetta sportwagon was cheating on emissions and dealer lied about it having a blue oil additive. Transmission is very aggressive in upshifting into higher gear to get favorable MPG so frequently need to downshift with paddle shifter to have enough torque to pass. So flashing glow plug light on dash board turned out to be a bad fuel injector at 11K miles, which has never gone bad on any other car I've previously had and I usually drive my cars until they die, usually somewhere betw. 20 years to 200,000 miles. Good thing I bought the extended warranty. In Germany, people are very patriotic and will tolerate inferior german cars with all kinds of electrical and mechanical issues. Plus if their car is not working, its almost easier to take train, bike ride etc. Makes me doubt the reliability and longevity of car. I was lucky to be able to make it to dealer bec with only 3 cylinders working, power and acceleration was significantly reduced and barely able to get up to 55-60 miles per hour on highway. Also other brands have 10yr/100,000 mile warranty. Next time will try one of those brands.

VW Sportswagen is Best Car Ever!
By Tuni King

2015 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Diesel TDI SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I sold my 2010 Jetta Sportswagen S model TDI back to VW under the Diesel Emissions settlement and promptly found a modified 2015 VW Golf Sportswagen SEL model TDI (same car) to replace it. I loved the 2010 reliability, power [torque], cargo capacity, mileage and comfort. Just wanted a newer version of same car. I'm 5'7" 140lbs so car fits me like a glove. Cargo capacity at 67.5 cubic feet is fantastic. I carry a drum set all over Texas with room to spare. I had 2 sets in the car on one trip! Never had a single issue with the 2010 model. OK, the hands free phone integration with the entertainment system was inconsistent. That's the only issue I had with the 2010. For a diesel, acceleration was fine. Of course, I'm not into muscle cars; just the opposite, mileage. And diesel cannot be beat by gasoline. I know VW stupidly tried to embellish emission specs. But I routinely saw other cars belching out more noxious black smoke than my VW diesel ever did. In fact, I never saw any fumes from my VW. Now I have a "repaired" 2015 so that emission issue is closed. The 2015s use AdBlue additive liquid to cleanse diesel emissions like BMW or Mercedes. Overall, I'd say the VW Sportswagen is the best car I've ever owned. That's why I bought 2 in a row!

Great little wagon
By Sally

2015 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Diesel TDI S 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I bought my Sportwagen diesel 3 weeks before they announced the diesel scam. I got an incredible deal on both my trade in and the new car. I soon found out why. But! This is a great car. Lots of room for kids and dogs. It handles beautifully on the road. Turning is very smooth, unlike anything I've ever felt. Mileage on diesel fuel is outstanding. I average 40 mpg in the city. On the highway however, I get about 50 mpg. My fuel costs have dropped dramatically. I have and paid for "pulse" on the third brake which routinely shows up as broken on my info screen, now I just ignore it. I love this car, it's easy to get in and out of and completely fills my need for a vehicle. I have tossed around the idea of the buyback, but I love this car so much, I can't find anything else I want. I consider myself very luck to have the diesel. Winter in Wisconsin has proven to be no issue for the Diesel engine with the right fuel. So I'm 100% happy with this little wagon!

2/18/18 - After learning more about the diesel scandal - which was 100% intentional, I sold my car back to volkswagen and bought a different car. I will never have a VW again.

Without peers under 30K. A truly great car.
By Nicky

Plenty of space inside, seating and cargo. It goes when you press down on the pedal. Handles great, and the ride is more comfortable and heavier feeling than the competition. Since the VW buyout numbers have been published, I've had a test-drive in several cars in the same price-range. None of them are in the same class as the Golf. Not even close. The Focus wagon that everyone likes is cool, but it's appointed and built like an economy car. The interior reminds me of a seventies car, bucket seats with poorly cut/fit loose leather on cheapy bucket seats, like a Maverick or Mustang II. Subaru, bad plastic interior, handling, and not my style. The Mazda3 is probably my favorite contender. It does not handle, accelerate, or ride in the same class as the Golf. The interior is pretty good, but too busy and plasticy for me. The difference in ride-feel alone would make you think the Golf costs 8 or 9k more than the Mazda. The 2.0 liter TDI is a blast to drive. Quicker off the line than one would expect, yet it behaves like a bonafide German cruiser. I love this car.
50k mile update: Bought better tires, did all regular maintenance. So happy I didn’t see lot back to VW!