Used 2015 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf SportWagen model:

VW Sportswagen is Best Car Ever!
By Tuni King

2015 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TDI SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I sold my 2010 Jetta Sportswagen S model TDI back to VW under the Diesel Emissions settlement and promptly found a modified 2015 VW Golf Sportswagen SEL model TDI (same car) to replace it. I loved the 2010 reliability, power [torque], cargo capacity, mileage and comfort. Just wanted a newer version of same car. I'm 5'7" 140lbs so car fits me like a glove. Cargo capacity at 67.5 cubic feet is fantastic. I carry a drum set all over Texas with room to spare. I had 2 sets in the car on one trip! Never had a single issue with the 2010 model. OK, the hands free phone integration with the entertainment system was inconsistent. That's the only issue I had with the 2010. For a diesel, acceleration was fine. Of course, I'm not into muscle cars; just the opposite, mileage. And diesel cannot be beat by gasoline. I know VW stupidly tried to embellish emission specs. But I routinely saw other cars belching out more noxious black smoke than my VW diesel ever did. In fact, I never saw any fumes from my VW. Now I have a "repaired" 2015 so that emission issue is closed. The 2015s use AdBlue additive liquid to cleanse diesel emissions like BMW or Mercedes. Overall, I'd say the VW Sportswagen is the best car I've ever owned. That's why I bought 2 in a row!

Great little wagon
By Sally

2015 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TDI S 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I bought my Sportwagen diesel 3 weeks before they announced the diesel scam. I got an incredible deal on both my trade in and the new car. I soon found out why. But! This is a great car. Lots of room for kids and dogs. It handles beautifully on the road. Turning is very smooth, unlike anything I've ever felt. Mileage on diesel fuel is outstanding. I average 40 mpg in the city. On the highway however, I get about 50 mpg. My fuel costs have dropped dramatically. I have and paid for "pulse" on the third brake which routinely shows up as broken on my info screen, now I just ignore it. I love this car, it's easy to get in and out of and completely fills my need for a vehicle. I have tossed around the idea of the buyback, but I love this car so much, I can't find anything else I want. I consider myself very luck to have the diesel. Winter in Wisconsin has proven to be no issue for the Diesel engine with the right fuel. So I'm 100% happy with this little wagon!

2/18/18 - After learning more about the diesel scandal - which was 100% intentional, I sold my car back to volkswagen and bought a different car. I will never have a VW again.

Without peers under 30K. A truly great car.
By Nicky

2015 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TDI S 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Plenty of space inside, seating and cargo. It goes when you press down on the pedal. Handles great, and the ride is more comfortable and heavier feeling than the competition. Since the VW buyout numbers have been published, I've had a test-drive in several cars in the same price-range. None of them are in the same class as the Golf. Not even close. The Focus wagon that everyone likes is cool, but it's appointed and built like an economy car. The interior reminds me of a seventies car, bucket seats with poorly cut/fit loose leather on cheapy bucket seats, like a Maverick or Mustang II. Subaru, bad plastic interior, handling, and not my style. The Mazda3 is probably my favorite contender. It does not handle, accelerate, or ride in the same class as the Golf. The interior is pretty good, but too busy and plasticy for me. The difference in ride-feel alone would make you think the Golf costs 8 or 9k more than the Mazda. The 2.0 liter TDI is a blast to drive. Quicker off the line than one would expect, yet it behaves like a bonafide German cruiser. I love this car.

Super sport wagen!
By legin moreno

2015 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI S 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Best car I've ever owned! The utility of an suv, the economy of a compact, all in a fun to drive package! And only about $20.000, great value!!!!

Best family car for the money!
By rush_informer01@yahoo.com

2015 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI S 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Long term update. Car rocks! No issues except there may be a pinhole leak near the rear hatch door.

I paid just under $21,000 out the door using TrueCar (MSRP $21,625 + $820 delivery fee). The 2016 Golf Sportwagen TSI S was an excellent value. I never buy new cars because of the depreciation, but due to a new addition to our family, I had to look for something reliable without any hassle of maintenance issues.

This car has more space than a Mazda CX-3, Mazda 3 Hatchback, and many other crossovers. ~30 cubic feet with the seats up and ~66 cubic feet with the rear seats folded is excellent. It fits our massive stroller, luggage and a few oddities from Ikea on a weekend trip to San Diego with the baby/car seat, wife, and mother-in-law. If my mother-in-law wasn't in the car we could fold 60% of the rear seats even.

The technology in the car is amazing also. Apple CarPlay is very intuitive and streams my 320 kbps Deezer app on my iPhone to the car flawlessly. Furthermore Apple Maps is excellent. The sound quality isn't Premium BMW sound, but it's not far off. It's better than my amplified aftermarket stereo system in another car I have. The base trim "S" has 8 speakers, that's four component speakers. It is definitely sufficient for 99 percent of people. I have no desire to increase the volume beyond 50 percent, even when I'm by myself in the car zooming about.

Fuel economy at 25/29/36 for the manual is excellent. The clutch is dummy-proof. Shift linkage feels solid and very connected from gear to gear with no confusion. Synchros are smooth enabling grind-free shifts. Turbo lag is minimal, maximum torque is available at 1,500 RPM which is a blip of the right foot; maximum RPM is ~6k. 170hp is definitely adequate even when loaded with passengers and cargo. It's no sports car with 300 wheel horse power, but it definitely gets up and goes.

The Volkswagen MQB architecture may offer interesting future opportunities to convert this car to 4-Motion AWD also. Of course I wouldn't seriously consider modifying a warrantied vehicle until out of the 5 year/60k mile power train warranty. The EA888 1.8 turbo direct injection engine is an amazing piece of technology also. The turbo bolts directly onto the head. It's exhaust manifolds are integrated into the heads surrounded by coolant passages. This improves engine warm-up time for better engine wear/longevity, improved fuel efficiency, and quicker cabin heat for passengers. Allegedly this 1.8T engine picks up ~100 ft lbs of torque and ~60 horsepower with just ECU tuning through APR. That makes it on par with a stock GTI or quicker.

Handling is adequate, a bit squishy (compared to my bone-shattering 03 Nissan 350z Track, 06 BMW E90 3-series with run flats and 93 Mercedes 190e SportLine). Steering feel and input is slightly delayed due to tire size (195/65/15 Bridgestone Ecopia 422 Plus 580 UTQG). While the tire may be good for improved fuel economy MPG's, it's obvious setbacks are a huge sidewall that flexes under cornering and small contact area resulting in "economical" traction under maximum acceleration from a stop. Likewise the tire is "acceptable" for braking. Don't expect sports car performance in this area. Up-sizing the wheels and adding Summer tires would transform this car into a different machine at the cost of a couple MPG.

If you don't want to commit to a mini-van and turn in your man card, this is a great choice!