2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf GTI model:

The Great Compromise
By Mike M.

2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I'm a hot hatch aficionado. Over the years I've owned several, and when the time came to get out of the family hauler I knew I wanted another. I drove everything: Focus ST, Fiesta ST, Focus RS, Civic SI, Civic Type R, WRX, even hot-ish hatches like the new Cruze and Mazda3. For every criteria that I decided a particular car missed, the GTI landed it square in the middle. It's not as engaging as the Fords, or as sharp as the Honda, or as burly as the Subaru, but it's ALMOST as good, and by being so versatile and generally GOOD while not falling on its face in any one area it wins. I haven't had it long enough to comment on reliability, but CR is indicating the 2017 is Above Average, whereas the 2015 and 2016 models were merely average. Fuel economy is fine, averaging 25 MPG in mostly city driving. And the bottom line is I get excited every time I know I'm about to drive somewhere, even if it's just to slog it out in traffic. At some point I'll have the opportunity to let it its thing. I'll say the trick VAQ differential is a game changer - this car handles like no other FWD car I've ever driven. The DSG is also a bit of a revelation. I'm a manual guy, but my wife isn't comfortable driving one, so the DSG is again a great compromise. The kids' booster seats are also easy peasy, and there's still plenty of space for (minor) Costco runs. Just a great car. Full disclosure, I got my 2017 as the '18 cars were coming out, meaning I got crazy incentives - about $8,000 off sticker. I'd have a hard time paying the $33k they wanted, but it's a steal at $25k. Would buy again.

2017 GTI SPORT REVIEW
By Benjamin

2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Car is a lot of fun to drive. Great commuter car, does pretty much everything good.

FWD= no fun at all
By Tom

2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This car could be okay if they offered an AWD option. Sure you could get a "R" but that's over 40K and I just couldn't bring myself to spend 40K on a golf. As it is the GTI is a very frustrating car to drive. The lack of traction ruins the car. I hate owning this car and would not recommend it at all.

Great buy
By Brian

2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I own a truck to drive if there is a lot of snow out. It's fast! If I were to do it over I would probably go with the dsg just because having an automatic is nice. But the manual is amazing too. I paid 26k for mine with discounts and I feel like I got a really great value. I haven't had any mechanical issues but I will update if this changes

Best car I have ever owned
By Jesse S.

2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned a 2010 500hp Camaro SS, a 2015 Dodge Charger R/T with all of the gadgets and technology, a luxurious 2014 GMC Sierra Denali, and a rocketship E46 BMW M3. This Golf GTI is far and away my favorite. It is economical, very quick and tunable, handles like it is on rails, has a fantastic interior, and has a great amount of room and storage for a hot hatchback. You can Google the car's metrics and performance data, but at the end of the day, it's how a car makes you feel. This car makes me grin every single time I drive it. Seriously, go take a test drive right now. You're welcome.