2018 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack Consumer Reviews - 4 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf Alltrack model:

Having a Blast with my Alltrack!
By Andy M

2018 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack TSI SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I bought the Alltrack SEL in July 2017 after spending months looking at nearly every SUV and crossover in the market to find the best combination of mileage, AWD and user-friendly cargo space. One reason I chose the Alltrack over the Outback and others was because the I needed the cargo space to haul my gear, which tends to be heavy or bulky (even sometimes needing ramps for loading and unloading) and I wanted a low bumper combined with ample cargo room. When I actually took a tape measure to dealers I was amazed at how much higher the liftover heights were on most crossovers and SUVs given that ground clearances were only an inch or two higher. The Alltrack has clever extra storage under the cargo floor as well so overall I'm very happy with cargo capacity. My previous car was a VW GTI that I drove for 10 years (best car I have ever owned) and while nothing in the crossover or SUV market handles nearly as well as the GTI, the Alltrack is superior to all others I drove, and power is comparable to offerings in the price range. The weakest elements in the Alltrack are the rear legroom and the default shifting program on the DSG tranny, which seems to always be in too high a gear. Fortunately there is a Sport shifting mode which works well around town, and the tranny is responsive to the steering wheel paddles. The AWD system is straight out of the Golf R and Audi S3, and the ground clearance is adequate for very rough terrain. I have taken my Alltrack with 400+ pounds of gear on crazy forest routes in Wyoming and drawn stares from drivers of vehicles with twice the ground clearance. Never bottomed-out. I have 14,000 miles in ten months and mileage is at least as good as the 22/30 EPA ratings. Build quality, ride comfort, outward visibility, pano roof and entertainment system (in the SEL) are all excellent. I am over 6' and the seats and front legroom are excellent.

Having a Blast with my Alltrack!
By Andy M

2018 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack TSI SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Does most everything well
By David

2018 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack TSI SE 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Excellent traction. Good ride quality. Relatively quiet. On flat highway 32+ mpg. Not as roomy as Subaru Outback but much more car/wagon like. Handling and braking both excellent. After 2,000 miles would definitely purchase again. Standard transmission pretty good.

2017 VW Golf Attrack DELIVERS!!
By iSchneggs

2018 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack TSI SE 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

After owning a 1997 Subie Outback, 2002 Subie WRX, 2009 Subie Forester XT, and also a 2016 Subie Outback, I'm delighted to be driving my Alltrack! More nimble, tighter, and confidence-inspiring than a typical Subaru. The controls and dials all feel very high quality [eg: all 4 windows have an auto-up/down click]. I was nervous about vinyl-based V-Tex seats, but I've found them to be equivalent to my Subie Outback having real leather in terms of feel and looks. The AWD electronics and center locking differential are AMAZING, and help keep the car pointed true, even in 10 inches of Erie/ Buffalo snow! Yes - the back seat is snug for 6 footers, and the 1.8L engine is tuned for practicality rather than exhilaration, but this car appears to have a lot going for it! The sun roof is HUGE and well sealed. Terrific gas mileage for an AWD vehicle. I wish the lawyers at VW would allow this car to gain towing specs, as there's no logical reason that USA drivers should not be able to tow [Alltracks sold in other countries have tow ratings and recommendations]. The DSG transmission is an engineering marvel, is smooth, efficient, friendly, and enables those of us who used to drive standards a superior way to control the engine's revs. NOW - if my reliability is on par with Subaru, which I'm speculating it will, I'll be THRILLED! [note: 3 out of my 4 past Subarus had great reliability, however, needed a complete engine overhaul due to warped heads and compromised head gaskets at between 140k and 150k miles - a KNOWN and significant Subaru problem. Also, my Forester required a new engine after the Turbo disintegrated into the engine at 58k miles]. All in all - a really solid car!