Used 2017 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack Wagon Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Golf Alltrack for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Just what I wanted.

Jonathan Berg, 01/01/2017
TSI S 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great road handling. Outstanding in snow/ice. I love the iPhone display on the car's display (car play). Not great acceleration, but I didn't expect or need that. Shifting gears is a little sluggish and there's a barely audible transmission noise shifting in the lower gears. I'm getting a little better mileage than I expected (22-25 around town) and 33-34 highway. Still early, but I love the car so far.

All that I wanted...

SilinDC, 06/13/2017
TSI S 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I'm glad I waited for this model to come out. I've owned a few VWs with the last one being a 2010 VW Golf 5 spd MT that was VERY reliable but lacked the 4 doors and storage space I needed for extracurricular activities (camping, kayaking, skiing). I had cross-shopped Subarus to see what I might be missing and almost bought one for my last car, but couldn't find a manual transmission anywhere and the newer ones have mostly phased them out for a CVT. The outback was nice, but when compared to the features I get with the Golf Alltrack and the manual transmission made it much more fun to drive! Also, cost a lot more for similar features. Now to the alltrack... I just did a 1,000 mile road trip and the car drives extremely smooth and when kept to about 70 mpg with a loaded car I was getting 35 mpg. The car has a perfect amount of storage space. The only negative would be the back seat is a little smaller than some others, but still good for a 6'0" person in the back as long as you don't try to put 5 people in the car. It's really much better for 4. For entertainment I can't get over how good CARPLAY is. It makes the car so much more enjoyable to use when trying to do navigation, listen/find music, voice text, etc... I previously had installed a high end Kenwood GPS system in my last car, but this is much better/easier to use. To wrap it up, the car handles very well, is smooth on the highway and pretty quiet, the entertainment system is easy to use and this is an overall great car. I can't wait til' ski season to try out the 4 wheel drive in the snow, but for the time being I'm just enjoying using the car and all it's features!

This is a good car

Lee, 06/22/2017
TSI S 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We did the diesel buyback on our 2009 Sportwagen TDI, so we needed a replacement. We selected the Alltrack because it is AWD and is available with a manual transmission. We don't care about the supposed off-road capabilities. But we do live in the Colorado mountains and don't like getting stuck in the snow. For that purpose, this car is the perfect compromise because you don't give up good handling, economy, and comfort, which is what you need over 95% of the time. With the manual transmission we are averaging 29mpg and expect to get in the 30s on trips (Fuelly.com shows that the DSG (automatic) Alltracks average about 3-4 mpg less). The stereo capabilities are impressive. We opted for the S model due to the added level of road noise, leaks, and breakage we experienced with the panoramic sunroof on our 2009 Sportwagen. This is my first VW without a sunroof since 1983 and I have no regrets about not having the panoramic sunroof. The manual transmission is geared toward fuel economy rather than performance, like a GTI, but it is still a pleasure to shift. Between hill hold, optionally giving it the gas when starting to prevent stalling, turning off the gas when coasting in gear, and maintaining the cruise control when shifting, shows that VW has carried manual transmissions to the next level. Our biggest gripe was that we were waiting for the manual Alltracks to arrive and we afraid they wouldn't show until after our buyback, leaving us without a car. Luckily the new car showed up two weeks before the buyback. Update 06/27/18: My wife has driven the Alltrack about 2000 miles/month, so it now has over 30,000 miles in 15 months. I can not recall any issues. It has worked well for commuting and hauling. Using Thule square bar racks, stops, and straps, we have carried 8x4 plywood and drywall sheets, 7 foot tall bookcases, and most anything that doesn't fit inside. Being lower than SUVs makes it relatively easy to get big things on and off the roof rack. We use fuelly.com to track all gas usage and my wife continues to average 29-30 mpg in commuting and city driving. The oil filter being on top makes it a breeze to change the oil. We got a duplicate set of the stock wheels off craigslist and mounted 225/50-17 Artic Altimax snow tires on them. We live in the Colorado mountains and the Alltrack handles it well with its AWD and snow tires. The manual transmission is a pleasure to drive and makes the car faster than it should be given the weight and engine size. 12/28/18: Edmunds wanted an update but there is not much to say. The car has over 40,000 miles and consistently gets 29mpg for commuting and around town use. The rear passenger window switch in the group of four in driver's door doesn't work, the one on the door does. Its off warranty now so I will replace it.

This wagon is exactly what I was looking for.

ARL, 01/21/2017
TSI SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I was one of the early buyers of this model, ordered it from the factory fully loaded and took delivery in October. I'm a guy who loves to drive, and having owned many other European models including Audi, Porsche, Land Rover, Volvo and Mercedes I find VW the right mix of quality, attention to detail, simplicity, technology and driving enjoyment. VW bought out my Jetta Sportwagen TDI, regrettably giving that up as I'm a fan of diesels but a bigger fan of the environment. I considered many other models including hybrids, however having owned Asian hybrids in the past, including Honda, Toyota and Subaru I find the cars absolutely boring to drive after a few months. Yes, I strongly considered the Subaru Outback as an alternative but find the current generation model bloated-looking and do not like the Lineartronic CVT transmission. My Alltrack is fully loaded and I enjoy the styling and especially the lighting option that sets the car apart. Acceleration, transmission and road-feel are all very good, definitely a step-up from the Jetta Sportwagen TDI. I do primarily city driving, and I'm averaging 21 mpg (my diesel averaged 25 mpg city driving). On the highway I've averaged 33 mpg. I did have issues with the compass which impacted the NAV (factory re-call) and the lane assist program functions, both repaired under warranty. I love wagons, but here in the US options are limited to Subaru, Audi, Mercedes, BMW and Volvo, the 4 latter models being significantly higher priced. As far as I'm concerned, the VW Golf Alltrack SEL with the driver assistance and lighting option package is a very similar wagon to the Audi Allroad, makes sense since they share many of the same parts. Also the Audi Allroad runs on premium, while the VW Alltrack runs on regular gas. To sum, I really love this wagon and just waiting for some Chicago snow to test the 4-Motion AWD!

Awesome Alltrack — Update

John in Virginia, 08/12/2017
TSI SE 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I still love this car after 40,000 miles. It has been very reliable and gets good gas mileage. I average 34.5 miles per gallon on the highway. Ride is very smooth and comfortable. Sunroof leaked a couple times during torrential rains. To avoid this, make sure to get sunroof drains cleaned out by dealer every time you get oil change.

This car is a kick to drive

Tom Kruse, 10/03/2017
TSI SE 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Formerly I drove a 2002 Audi Allroad with manual trans. Lots of power and great car. I like a wagon since I put bicycles and kayaks on the roof. The new Alltrack is a great car and a great value. Lots of room inside. Solid feel. Plenty of pep for passing. I have SE model. I like the manual automatic. I either downshift on curvy roads or put it into Sport Mode which works great in the twisties. The front seat is comfortable but would like full multi adjustable electric seat with memory like I had before. Fortunately I am 90% only driver. The vinyl feels like leather and people I've taken for a ride think it's leather. I don't correct them. Electronics work great, I use Android Auto which uses Google Maps for navigation. Voice control phone calls works flawless. Fender stereo is excellent. Climate control only has a temp knob so no auto temp set. Huge sunroof is fun, great sky view. Also opened sunroof is much better than any car I've owned in past. They've eliminated the fluttering sounds so you don't have to open a window. The cargo area is huge. They've done a nice job of storing the rear cover if you don't want to use it. Visibility is excellent. Much more fun to drive than a small SUV.

My Outback Alternative

Klaus VonBuelow, 02/26/2018
TSI SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

In the North it is always good to have AWD. The 6 times a year you need it in the snow, AWD is worth its weight in gold. I decided to go from a sedan to a wagon for the space to haul easier. There isn’t a lot in that segment. After narrowing it down to a Subaru Outback or an Alltrack, I chose the VW because it handled much better, felt faster, was quieter, and had a much more upscale interior. I thought I would like the Outback more (coming from a Legacy) but I didn’t. The reasons I chose the Alltrack: 1. It handled confidently and felt the most car-like in cornering and freeway ramp driving which was important to me. 2. The interior was nicer and the seats are really comfortable and supportive. 3. The panoramic sunroof is huge and impressed my teenaged son (not easy to do). 4. The transmission and engine (1.8turbo DSG VW against a 2.5 boxer w/ a CVT) felt zoomy and the DSG shifts very nicely. 5. At highway speeds the wind noise is significantly lower. 6. In the last 2 snowstorms, the AWD has been flawless and the traction has been fantastic. It is perfectly balanced for the conditions and I never once worried about getting stuck. Now that I have had it for a while, what are the nitpicks? 1. Wish it had a bigger fuel tank. Don’t get me wrong, it gets great mpg (34-35 hwy) - but a little more range would be nice for those who do a lot of driving. 2. Nav system is okay, but the Apple CarPlay makes it unnecessary. Oh - and a bigger screen would be nice. 3. There are about 100 ways to monitor what the car is doing which is cool - but holy cow, the menu structure is terrible. In my opinion, if you are looking for a driving car, get the VW. It has a little less hauling space, but if you enjoy driving, you will prefer this car.

Restrained Exuberance

Reed Erskine, 01/04/2018
TSI SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Like all VW's, this is one big on the inside and small on the outside. The Alltrack SEL is clean-lined and understated, so much so as to be anonymous among the endless herd of compact SUV's and Crossovers that clog the highways. It may be humble, but the Alltrack is nimble and responsive, with just enough "fahrvergnugen" to keep things from getting boring. Some will find the flat, firm "bucket seats" less than totally comfortable and supportive. Some will find 38 psi, low profile 18" wheels and firm suspension slightly jarring at times, but the driving experience is quiet and stable as a rock. The touch screen entertainment/navigation system, along with all the other menus, setting, dials, etc. will guarantee you a fender bender if you try to mess with them while driving. The sound system is impressive, but possibly overkill. The 360 degree visibility is among the best I've seen. The six speed auto tranny is OK and responsive. 6 speeds are better than 3, but the driver only feels third or fourth most of the time, and at low speeds the engine can lug at too high a gear. It cruises 70 mph at about 2.6K rpm and gets between 25 and 30 mpg, depending on the weight of your foot. Seems like a good vehicle for a young family or couple with a yen to throw skis/kayaks/bicycles on the roof rack and head for the hills. On the other hand, it's a cinch to park in tight urban spaces, with its tight turning radius and articulate steering. Though I have yet to be consciously aware of the wonders of 4motion, I like that the Alltrack/Golf is nothing fancy. It's just a nice car that can do stuff, which is plenty adequate in today's automotive world of Big Boy Toys. Update: 07/2018 After 7 months and 2000 miles, I'm still getting a kick out of driving this car. Visibility, maneuverability and quick response to throttle, steering, and auto transmission are continually and pleasantly surprising. I thought I'd miss the five speed stick in my old V6 Passat, but the Alltrack hasn't disappointed.

2017 Golf Alltrack

snelson, 09/17/2017
TSI SE 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Narrowed it down to a Subaru Crostrek and the VW Golf Alltrack. In the end, the Alltrack won because of it's much stronger engine, fit and finish, and timeless style. Getting about 27mpg in mixed driving. VW dealership was willing to give a great deal...$4,500 off of MSRP. I encourage you to at least give the Alltrack a drive before you make a final decision. Pay attention to the amazing transmission (DSG) and power the turbo 4 has in comparison to Subaru's 4 banger. There is no comparison...the Alltrack is amazing!

Fun and Capable

WagonsRule, 10/16/2017
TSI SE 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Loving my new Alltrack. I was waiting for the new Crosstrek, but the driving dynamics, feel, and the interior in the car is so much better. This car is super fun to drive, very responsive the the road, corners really well and the shifting is phenomenal. The engine is not super powerful, but it gives you enough power to pass when needed and tackles steep roads really well. The transmission is what is outstanding in this car, I've had a car with CVT and have rented and test-driven a few, the 6-speed DSG is so much better. Getting good overall mph for an AWD car at 27mpg. The interior is super quiet, the materials are upscale and the controls are very handy and intuitive, super functional. The infotainment system has everything you need and it's super easy to find all the controls. The front seats are very comfortable, the rear seating is a bit on the small side for adults, but decent. The truck is long and fits a lot of stuff for the size of the car. This will be a great car to take on ski trips for its AWD, high clearance and the low roof where I can easily reach a cargo box. I haven't taken this car on dirt roads but I'm confident it will get me to most trailheads.

51050