2017 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack Wagon Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack Wagon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf Alltrack model:

15 months owning a 2017 Golf Alltrack SE - LUV IT!
By Happy Alltrack Owner

2017 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack Wagon TSI SE 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I bought the Alltrack in May 2017. I've never owned a VW before and I've heard that they have some reliability issues. However, all the VW owners I've talked to (about 10 prior to purchase) have not reported significant issues. I've had no issues at 15K miles. I love this car! It handles like a dream! It's fun to drive. The DSG gearbox is intuitive and snappy. The paddle shifters are precise, easy and fun to use. Even the fuel access cover is awesome. It clicks open and has a solid self closing "snap" when gently nudged closed. The roof rails are much more versatile than those on the Outback. The moon roof is smooth, reliable and renders no noise to the cabin when closed. I've read some reviewers say that the 1.8TSI engine is "adequate" - I think it's excellent! I find that it gives smooth acceleration and provides ample power when needed. The spare tire compartment will hold a full size tire! How many compact vehicles can boast that great feature? The Fender sound system is clear, delivering uniform sound quality throughout the cabin. My family and I are all shorter than 5'9", so the rear leg room is adequate for everyone in the family. The build quality of this vehicle is impressive--it's difficult to describe this aspect of the Alltrack--you just have to see it. The fit and finish give it a very upscale feeling. The interior accent lighting and foot area lighting in the front when the headlights are on are a nice touch. Adjustments for the AWD system and transmission provide tangible changes to the car's performance. It's also interesting to note that the general performance numbers for the Alltrack S model are better than the Outback's 6 cyl. - except for towing. I have owned several Subies over the years: 1981 Subaru GL, 1986 Subaru GL, 1992 Legacy Wagon, and a 1998 Impreza. All of these were reliable, capable vehicles. When I entered the market recently for an SUV/Crossover I test drove a Crosstrek, a 4cyl Outback, and an Impreza. The Crosstrek and Impreza were actually pretty good. Although the CVT on the Impreza seemed monotonous and the car felt a little underpowered. The Crosstrek had a manual transmission and was a lot of fun to drive, but the cargo area was a little small. On the freeway, though, is where I decided against the Crosstrek - no passing power. At high speeds it was noisy and felt "soft". The Outback had a nice interior, but the CVT was a dealbreaker! What a mess of a transmission! No fun at all and not very responsive--very loud and it always seemed as if it were trying to figure out what I wanted it to do. I test drove a Dodge Durango - which I liked a lot, but didn't make a lot of sense as I would never be towing anything. I also test drove a Toyota Highlander, a 4-Runner, and a Honda Pilot. All very good, but too big and gangly for my needs. I test drove the Golf Alltrack and instantly fell in love. If you're in the small crossover market, the Alltrack is really worth looking into.

Perfect little/big car
By Evgeniy Gogov

2017 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack Wagon TSI SE 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Owened 2016 Sportswagen Limited ( lost it in really bad accident). Lost the car but my wife was fine.That's why i replaced it with 2017 Alltrack SE. I call it a little big car. Good gas mileage, great hendaling and grateful look.

Nice Car
By Steve F.

2017 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack Wagon TSI SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Runs steers and shifts smooth. Dual clutch transmission took place of 40 years of manuals with no regrets. Electronic nannies are too intrusive and hate the adaptive cruise. Would not buy another car with adaptive cruise unless I could override it with normal cruise.

Very nice vehicle with horrible navigation
By Tishpit

2017 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack Wagon TSI SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I bought this left over 2017 because of a fabulous price (over $8,000 off sticker!) and it was low enough to allow my elderly parents to enter and exit better than a higher SUV. It also has the room for wheelchair and walker as well as two Greyhounds (though not all at the same time!). I've not owned a VW since my 1977 VW Dasher... so it's been a while. Always enjoyed German car handling and fun drive aspect and decided I was ready to try VW again. The dealership was very good to work with (VW of Ft. Myers) and the deal went well with no surprises or numbers games. This is a love/hate relationship though... here is the LOVE part: 1. Comfort: front power seats are wonderful and great for someone (like me) with back problems, 2. Handles nicely and hugs the road well, 3. Good safety ratings and extra confidence with AWD capabilities for slick roads and dirt/mud back roads, 3. Quality interior that looks like a little Mercedes and feels upscale, 4. GREAT visibility; a rarity these days and something I really appreciate, 5. Price was incredible due to left over model year and motivation to move the 2017's off the lot. Now for the HATE aspects: 1. Navigation is the WORST of any car I've ever owned. It's run by TomTom and will take you 12 miles out of your way if you listen to it! It consistently misses the address, cannot understand what is said some of the time and tends to glitch, does not show you in advance what turn you will be making onto what street... shows the street you are already on (already know that!), so when you turn, you don't know what lane to be in to anticipate a future turn. The Bluetooth is also quite glitchy at times and you must take your eyes off the road to see when the icon turns red to say "yes" to a command. The original Ford Sync in my 2010 Escape was WAY better. So this was very disappointing as I need a good GPS for business. Another issue I have is very poor distance vision with the headlights (standard ones). Mileage, however, is exceptionally good, averaging about 30 MPG in mixed driving. Overall, I'm happy with the vehicle and with only a bit over 1,000 miles on it, I cannot comment on reliability yet.

Wagons Ho!
By bigcoalshovel

2017 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack Wagon TSI SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

If you're looking for a great handling, punchy alternative to an SUV, the Alltrack is the right car. With VW's amazing 6 year / 72K warranty, dealers willing to negotiate on price, and so much stuff packed into this little car, it's a real bargain. Like a good German car, it's very solid, handles great, has a world class interior, and rewards the driver. I can fit all my bikes, even the big 29'r, without taking off the front wheel. I wish it got a little better gas mileage, but I tend to get a little heavy on the turbo. I'm very happy with the purchase and highly recommend the vehicle.