Used 2008 Volkswagen GLI Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen GLI

View reviews for a specific GLI model:

Fun ride, great mpg, huge trunk,
By Nick

2008 Volkswagen GLI PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I don't think you can buy a car this good for the price. VW did a great job tuning the power band on this car. I also got the newest 2.0 CCTA TSI engine which is featured in the late 2008 GLI and the 2009 Jetta 2.0T models. This engine has the timing chain, rather than a belt, and a few other upgrades to the engine.This car is safe, powerful, handles well, comfortable, looks good, luxurious enough, and has a huge trunk. My family member used to own a 3 series BMW and this car is just is good for about $15,000 less. If you want to be the person who says "look at me"! and overpay just for a nameplate, get a BMW. If you want a great all around sports sedan and pay a lot less, check out the GLI

-Turbo engine w/great power band -Momo steering wheel -Supportive sport bucket seats -Heated seats -Premium sound system -6 airbags -VW sport-tuned Handling -Bi-xenon Headlights -The biggest trunk you may ever see on a sports sedan

The stock Michelin tires on the 17" wheels could be a bit stickier. Headlights seem to be aimed a bit too low

YeeHaa
By racerx

2008 Volkswagen GLI PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Awesome car and when you figure in the price it's a slam dunk. Nothing comes close for the money and the gas mileage is insane in relationship to power. This is what you need when gas is 4 bucks a gallon but still want luxury and performance and space.

Everything, i test drove most every car in this price range and there is no other thats comparable .

Need to design rain gutters so you don't take a bath on right turns when it's raining.

Fun and Sporty Car
By Tidge

2008 Volkswagen GLI PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I drive my car everyday. City mileage I get about 24.4 and city averaging 35.5 doing 70 mph. I like how the car just with the tap of the throttle likes to take off. It has great handling, very little under/over steer. The ESP option is great for dirt and gravel roads, helps with sticking to the road. Since New Years Eve of 2008 I have put al ot of miles on the car. It has held up with no problem and does extremely well on the highway. Gas mileage isn't what I'm used to from my last car I owned. Yet the car gets compliments often and will be with me for a long time.

My favorite features would be the ESP control button. When winter comes around, turn it off and let the car loose in a parking lot. The 4 wheel disc brakes work wonders for though that like the track. I do like the DRL lights, they seem to provide a little more safety to the car.

The only thing I would suggest would be a little more aggressive style with autobahn packages available or a VR6 engine option. If they brought back the VR6 engine I'd buy a couple more.

6 Speed - Keeper
By Patrick S.

2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 04/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I recommend this ride to anyone who wants a sporty/professional image without seeming too racy. This vehicle is great to take clients to lunch but, also ideal for fun weekend driving. I get about 23 miles per gallon and I drive city only!

Front Grill, Wheels, Manual 6 Speed

Seats or not that comfortable really, could be better cushioned. ESP slows the car down!

Mr
By zugisland

2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 04/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Just picked up my new Platinum Gray GLI . Paid 25,850 plus tax for auto moon cold weather and all season mats . But mostly took advantage of the new VW 48 months at 0% financing. Anyway just hope anyone else can comment with moonroof open it sounds like a train on my hood. Is anyone experience this loud vibration. Whew. Didn't open moonroof during test drive due to hot during the day. LOL.

Love the night lights in the car also the intralagos cloth seats are cool. Mileage I hope will live up to expectations. Sirius, and tilt telescoping steering wheel. Also salesman pointed out the auto opening and closing of Windows with the key in the outside lock.

Auto dimming mirror and some type of lever to close the trunk without pushing down on the trunks and potentially scratching it with your hand if it is dirty. Pay attention to the vibration and noise coming from that moon roof, haven't heard anything like it before and I have had like 8 new cars