Used 2009 Volkswagen Eos Convertible Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Eos Convertible Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eos model:

OK, so far, but fear the @#$ will soon hit the fan
By LDodson

2009 Volkswagen Eos Convertible Komfort 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My 2009 EOS has less than 80K miles on it and those miles have been gently driven. I feel safe and comfortable inside this SOLID little car! I love the hard-top convertible. But, I live in fear of what I suspect will be some significant cha-chings in the not-too-distant future. First of all, sometimes a piece of the convertible retraction mechanism does not completely work; I have to reach around and "nudge" the part into place. Someday it will fail completely and I'll have to pay a fortune to replace what is basically a wire. Second of all, there are some strange electronic goings-on: the CD player stopped working and, worse, there is a ghost in the machine--recently, when I drive with the A/C on the windows start "magically" raising and lowering themselves. This is very distracting and not good for the car as the windows might be in the "closed" position but the glass will be on the outside--making it more likely that glass will be broken if the door is slammed and that water will leak in through the gap. Lastly, there is the known issue with the timing chain or timing chain tensioner for which there is a class action suit that will likely be settled within a few months. But, will my car "fail" outside of the window of opportunity to benefit from the suit? Even if I participate and get reimbursement from the suit, will I still have a large out-of-pocket outlay?

Timing chain/ tensioner destroys engine
By SNaseef

2009 Volkswagen Eos Convertible Komfort 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is painful to write. I bought this car in 2019 and have loved it. So much fun. Took excellent care of it, had all maintenance check done at required intervals. I had a major problem with the manifold and fuel injection system in 2016, however VW had issued an extended warranty on this system to 120,000 miles, so it was fully covered, except for $500 to have engine Decatur’s. In Nov of 2017 the convertible top stopped functioning and I was told that a single wire broke and that a whole new wire harness had to be replaced at the cost of $2000.00. I did the repair because I knew the top only had so many times to open before it would malfunction, and since I totally loved the car and had only minor repairs in past I decided bite the bullet. I intended to keep this car well over 150,000 miles. A few weeks ago the car wouldn’t start and I found out the timing tensioner failed causing the timing to jump and that my engine would need to be repaired or replaced. My mechanic was sure it would need a new engine but referred me to Honda to have the work done. He was furious. He said this shouldn’t happen to a car with this mileage. The VW DEALER told me it would cost $360 to take a look at the car. VW told me if I was lucky enough (unlikely) to only need a new timing chain the cost would be a few thousand dollars. To replace the engine would be $7,000 to $8,000. The Kelly Blue Book value on this car running, in excellent condition, was at top $4485. This was my first and last VW. The car body was built like a tank. VW has failed the public (lying about fuel emissions, causing the resale values of their vehicles to plummet). VW CUSTOMER CARE is a joke - why they even spend the money to man the phones is rediculous. I have called them twice for these last two issues and all they could do is say they were sorry I had these problems. The last person I spoke to told me I would not hear back from VW on this last matter. I will be telling everyone I know about my issue and advising anyone who is interested VW/VOLVO to steer clear!

TIMING CHAIN BREAKS NEW MOTOR REQUIRED
By Tim

2009 Volkswagen Eos Convertible Komfort 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I would like to express how disappointed I am with Volkswagen and my VW 2009 EOS Komfort. DO NOT PURCHASE ONE THESE VEHICLES UNLESS YOU WANT TO PUT AN EXPENSIVE NEW MOTOR IN THE VEHICLE AT SOME POINT BEFORE IT HITS 100,000 miles.

My issue with Volkswagen/Audi is the common problem with the timing chain in many Volkswagen (VW) and Audi models manufactured between 2008 and 2013. They have a serious engine defect where the timing chain will break and cause to severe engine damage that costs thousands of dollars to fix. Can you please explain this to me why there has not been a recall on all these vehicles.

2008-2010 and 2012 VW Beetle
2008-2012 Audi TT
2010-2012 Audi Q3
2009-2012 Audi Q5
2012 Audi Q7

I have had such timing chain malfunctions, that bend valves and result in extensive engine damage that it can not fixed and only option is to install a new/used engine. My vehicle is a VW 2009 EOS Komfort. Now I am without a vehicle and have an estimate of $6,000.00 to have the engine replaced. This was from an independent mechanic shop. When I talked to the Baxter Volkswagen LaVista, NE dealership, they informed me that I needed to have them look at the motor at a cost of $495.00, to tell me something that my independent mechanic told me for free, that the engine was not repairable. Then they informed me that it would cost $8,000.00 to have a new engine put in the vehicle versus then $6,000.00 from the independent mechanic shop. To me this is completely ridiculous, as no fault of mine this vehicle engine failed me. Can you explain to me why a vehicle with less than $90,000 miles would have this problem? Why so many other, of the vehicle listed above, have had this problem and nothing has been done about it. Why has a recall not been made?

If Volkswagen had any integrity they would listen to their customers. With the lack of support from the Baxter Volkswagen LaVista, NE dealership and VW of America I will now longer be a customer for any Volkswagen.

thoughts on eos at 59k miles
By ed conway

2009 Volkswagen Eos Convertible Lux 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

my first month with low milage eos has been great and it has continued thru the next year and 1/2 and 30 thousand miles.

Great Little car
By K F

2009 Volkswagen Eos Convertible Lux 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This car is fun and great on gas. It has a zippy S-transmission that gives you the feel of a manual with the ease of an Automatic. It didn't come with an owner's manual so I am not sure how to use many of the entertainment functions which is frustrating. The interior is leather which gets VERY hot in the summer. The interior was used well and I am adjusting to the missing pieces. I love how this car drives and love the convertible/sunroof option. The dealership I purchased from gave me a good deal and I would buy from them again!