Used 2008 Volkswagen Eos Convertible Consumer Reviews - 79 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen Eos Convertible

View reviews for a specific Eos model:

Great value
By gester

2008 Volkswagen Eos Convertible Komfort 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Traded in my TT roadster. Love the power plant. Love the transmission. Love the roof. Got 20K on it now; no regrets at all (well, I wish I'd gotten the three years free maintenance but that's about it). Oh, and I guess I wish i'd gotten the ipod dock instead of the generic input jack.

The roof. the kids call it "the transformer." Always good value.

Bigger back seat; it's torture for an adult back there. Also, this car desperately needs a rear camera option; rear visibility when backing out is dreadful.

I Love My Eos
By danerice

2008 Volkswagen Eos Convertible Lux 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I got my Eos in May 2008 and 14 months later, I still smile every time I get behind the wheel! The hardtop/sunroof/convertible roof is brilliant. I get stares and smiles while putting the roof up on a regular basis. With the same 2.0 Turbo engine as the GTI, the car is peppy and fast. The 17-inch wheels are sporty and sharp. The leather and walnut interior is reminiscent of a car much higher priced. The upgraded Dynaudio stereo system rocks. The Ipod adpapter and navigation system would have been nice! My only complaints are the top-up styling isn't as slick as some other competitors, and interior noise can be an issue. Overall, this car is a blast and I would recommend it to anyone!

The roof is the show-stopper. I never cease to be amazed by the way it folds away so quickly and effortlessly. The stereo rocks, the seats are super-comfortable, and I love the dual zone temperature controls. Steering wheel controls are great, and the Direct Shift Gearbox unleashes 6-speed fun.

Future exterior styling could be a bit sportier. The seam between the trunk lid and the body could be tighter. Interior road noise could be reduced. Back seat could be a bit roomier. Automatic shifting could be a bit smoother when pedal is floored. Rain sensor wipers are a bit frustrating.

Fun in Sun and Snow
By abbieshuler

2008 Volkswagen Eos Convertible Lux 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Great gas mileage - average combined 29.5 city/hwy. Handles EXCELLENT in snow - I live in Michigan so I have had lots of it. No problems and so fun to drive. I get stopped all the time for people to admire.

Sunroof and convertible

windows drop slightly when unlock - change this and it would be perfect.

About the roof seals
By eoslover

2008 Volkswagen Eos Convertible Komfort 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I hate to see all the bad reviews about the roof leaks. Since Edmunds doesn't allow posting links in reviews if you google "solve eos roof seal leaks" you will find an excellent article on keeping this car from leaking. I did a lot of research on this car before I purchased it and bought it once I read this article and knew the roof would likely not be a problem. Unfortunately, most VW dealers don't seem to stock the Krytox or know anything about this process. That said, overall this car has been great and fun for 12,000 miles. I get a solid 27 mpg with 50/50 highway/city driving. Highway yields over 30 mpg. Drove 2 hours through wicked slippery icy snow as well as can be expected for 2WD.

The top of course! That's why I bought it. The added bonus of the sun roof is priceless. Lack of drip caps come with the convertible territory. It's a trade off. This car gets the looks everywhere I go, especially with the top down.

Minor complaints are balanced by the overall good quality. Gas door didn't want to close once in extreme frigid temps. Windows drop when door opens - this is a small problem when covered in ice. Maybe not the best car for high ice/snow areas but no complaints once things thaw.

STOP AND READ BEFORE YOU BUY!
By Karen from CT

2008 Volkswagen Eos Convertible Komfort 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

There are several issues with this car. 1. When the key is removed from the ignition, the front windows drop slightly, thus when it is raining you get poured on. You get soaked inside the car whenever it is raining. 2. The radio antenna is in the trunk. The reception for FM and Satellite radio does not hold. While you drive the radio stations fade in and out. 3. The EOS is horrible in snow. We had to add sand bags to the trunk to allow traction when driving. In addition, when it is below 32 degrees the trunk freezes up. I now have to prepare myself when bad weather is approaching and put my snow scrapper in the back seat. Please read this before you buy your EOS, I wish I knew this stuff.

Hardtop convertible

Re-think the windows opening when the key is out of the ignition. Rain should run off the car not onto the front seats. The water runs onto the seats even when the doors are open quickly and shut quickly. Please re- think this engineering problem.