Used 2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:

One of the last ones
By Now Wife's Car

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had very few problems since the initial 6 months when I had a problem with wheel sensors. It has run so well my wife wanted it. It is a real fun car. It will be hard to replace.

The roof goes down. Then the hot seats.

Door handles peeled. Should have used real leather.

Fun, Economical, Versatile Cabrio
By C. Gratrix

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my VW Cabrio GLX in May, 2002, in time for Spring/Summer/Fall 'top-down' days. The car has been a great investment. It's easy to transport a large box; I just put the top down - place the item in back seat - then put the top back up. The engine purrs like it will run forever. This car has been nothing but dependable. Gas mileage: 24.5 mpg in town / 30+ mpg on highway. I've not had repairs other than standard maintenance. The fit and finish of the leather interior show little wear in 6 years. Pluses: heated seats, power top, automatic transmission, power windows, door locks, remote keyless entry. With a timeless European look and German engineering, the car is a 10.

Fuel economy, dependability, automatic top, heated seats, power windows (all are express down), power door locks, European styling, high-quality interior finish, tight fit of 6-layer insulated convertible top (no air whistles), great heater and air conditioning systems keep car warm/cool as needed.

Keep the European styling but update the communication system.

Fun, Practical, Unique
By Pete3106

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have had this Cabrio since new and only had problems with window regulators - fixed under warranty. Really enjoy the solid top in all kinds of weather. Have had two of these and both have been great.

Power top, color combo - silver/gray/gray, mileage, size and practicality, heated seats, foglights.

It's the Little Things
By irish7459

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I started having problems right off the bat. The check engine light came on about two months into my ownership. They had to replace the entire O2 sensor. Next the door locks broke. They've been replaced twice, and are currently broken again. The interior dome light broke in year three. I never touched the thing. The muffler started vibrating in year five. I've had it "fixed" but it's still vibrating when I accelerate. My car has been strictly dealership maintained. They are a pain to deal with. You have to pester and pester to get them to do anything. I figure if a part breaks and keeps breaking VW should change and make better more reliable parts.

It's a green convertible.

Make better quality parts. Fix the problem the first time.

VW Lacks in Customer Service
By Mike

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This has been the worst built car I have ever owned. The transmission, a 5 speed, needed to be replaced at 35,000 miles. Since it was three months out of the time warranty, VW offered no customer support. This, along with numerous other minor problems, including the key lock breaking, check engine light coming on and off at different times, and many more, has led me to believe that VW's reputation for quality is only a myth. I will never buy a VW again and I will tell everyone I know not to buy a one.