Used 2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

08 Yaris - everything I wanted
By Chris

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a reliable, fuel efficient vehicle to get me to work, store, etc. This is it. I've had this car 10 months, put 16K miles on it, and it hasn't given me an ounce of trouble. On an average tank of gas, combination of highway/town, I get between 39-41mpg. I run 80mph on the interstate with plenty left, handles great. The dash in the middle takes getting used to, and the corner posts are too thick, impeding vision, especially backing out of a parking place, I would like to see a tach, temp gauges. Besides that, this car is great. No regrets.

Corner posts are a real safety issue that will get people hurt. They need to be redesigned. Add a tach, temp gauge option.

Great little commuter car
By Volocty

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We love this car. It is everything we were looking for in a small commuter car. My wife calls it the Hummingbird, because it requires so little fuel to get around. We chose the "S" and Power package, which gives you all the features you need. My only complaint is that the Turn-signal indicator is too quiet. We choose the Manual 5-spd and have no regrets. Seats are firm, visibility is OK, center-mount dash layout takes a little while to get use to, but is very nice at night, since there is no light distraction directly in front of you. And we love the style and look of the "S" model.

Gas mileage is wonderful. Parking is a snap.

Louder Turn-signal indicator (just can't hear it).

My cyclops
By fred lowe

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Really enjoying my 2009 Yaris liftback. Very quiet inside cabin while driving in town or on highways. Getting about 400 miles per 11 gallon fill up from 50/50 city and highway driving. Very responsive handling and without bending my neck do not hit my head while getting behind the steering wheel. I'm 6'0 tall. Car seems much larger sitting inside than when looking in from the outside. This is the first time I was able to get 2 vehicles inside my 2 car garage and with plenty of room to spare. The lift back door does not hit my garage door when both are fully opened and I can still stand up straight underneath the lift back fully opened with a couple inches to spare.

The instrument panel "cyclops" central location is an excellent idea. I no longer have to look over or through the steering wheel to see the speedometer. There are 3 large compartments that open up on the dashboard. One is right in front of the steering wheel and other two on the right side of dash.

The only thing is a visible temperature and oil gauge instead of lights.

All You Need
By Eric

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We are very happy with our choice. The Yaris ended up being exactly what we needed. This car looks tiny but has a bunch of room. A 6-ft, 160 lbs man can sit comfortably in the rear seats. Keep in mind this is an inexpensive economy car. What got that, combined with reliability, quality and somewhat surprising performance. A Toyota will hold its value far better than other competitors in this area (Kia, Hyndai) - except perhaps Honda, which costs quite a bit more.

Copious storage compartments. Reclining rear seats. Standard ABS and side curtain airbags.

The instrument panel is spartan. A few more crucial gauges would have been nice. Standard remote-operated mirrors would have been nice.

So far, awesome!
By stephen portier

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have only had this car four months and I already have 20,000 miles and nothing has gone wrong. I am in my car all day for about 175 miles on average and I have nothing to complain about. Sure it's not the fastest thing in the world but who expected that? And everything else about it is perfect. Mine stays in a straight line for hours. Not to mention perfect gas mileage for not even being hybrid. I may not know everything but I love this car.