Used 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 123 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

Very good car.
By Christian

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I used to drive a 1991 Firebird which got 16 mpg at best. It got totaled and I went hunting for a new car in hopes for a Civic. The same day, I drove home in my Yaris. From my studies, I severely underestimated this car. I love it to death. I get more than double the gas mileage and I'm hoping that the reliability will be on par with my grandmother's '96 Camry, which has NEVER been in shop for anything but wear and tear. Fun to drive and I love the storage. My buddy bought a 2008 Focus and he says, "I shoulda bought a Yaris" I don't regret the purchase and I can't wait to get it paid off.

30-40 MPG, Good sound system, peppy little car, can park ANYWHERE.

Work with the automatic shifting: move the 3rd gear and Overdrive in opposite spots (I ate up half a tank of gas before realizing I was in 3rd and not Overdrive).

Extraordinary Well-Built Tiny Efficiency
By Annette Keller

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is tiny - head-turningly so. People gawk as if it's a toy car. But the interior is so well designed, with many cup-holders, compartments and the hatchback, that I feel as comfortable in it as I did in my 4Runner SUV. It's been years since I had a hatchback, and the accessibility is a wonderful convenience. I have a manual and know how to drive it efficiently. I get between 36-45 mpg, depending on whether the gas station sells 100% gas or an ethanol blend. Can reach anything from the driver's seat except the very back (trunk) part of hatchback. Gets in any parking space. Never had such a convenient, easy access car.

I have so many compartments and holders, and with the hatchback I have real convenience & easy access everywhere. I like the auxiliary audio jack a lot -- plug in my iPhone and listen to lectures and audiobooks and music all the time. Wish I had this car in college!

I wish Toyota would make their air systems so that you can run the AC in defroster mode with recirculated air, not external air.

Great Car
By TravW

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall the car was one of the best investments I have ever made. The fuel economy was excellent and the small design is misleading. The interior is very roomy. Wonderful car.

Numerous cup holders, total of 5 as I recall and they fit every cup you can imagine. The fold flat seats make it so you can fit practically anything in the car. Backseats are also extremely comfortable.

CD player eats CDs and takes 2 hours to spit it back out. Larger engine would be helpful. car doesn't have a lot of get up and go.

Love the Yaris
By Robert

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the absolutely red hatchback. I love the car. Great gas mileage, fun to drive. Everyone asks me if it's a hybrid. Great for city driving.

Exterior looks, gas mileage, easy maneuverability

Would prefer an inside lock for the hatchback. Sometimes when going uphill, the car sounds like it's buzzing and being overworked, so less engine noise would be nice. Also, I do not like the downshift logic. Could definitely do without that.

Good no Great Car and Fun
By Joseph Campa

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I read several reviews before I bought my Yaris and I feel that Toyota has a winner. I also have a civic and the Yaris is a better car in quality and reliability. I am considering buying another one. I only wish that you could get a split rear seat and center console on the base model. Small car with a big interior is the Yaris with exceptional gas mileage. I got a little over 38 mpg with mine and that is great when you have two active girls that need to go places. Smooth ride and exceptional comfort.

Interior and exterior features and gas mileage.

Split rear seat on all models. Center console on all models. More upgrades.