Used 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 122 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

Extraordinary Well-Built Tiny Efficiency
By Annette Keller

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is tiny - head-turningly so. People gawk as if it's a toy car. But the interior is so well designed, with many cup-holders, compartments and the hatchback, that I feel as comfortable in it as I did in my 4Runner SUV. It's been years since I had a hatchback, and the accessibility is a wonderful convenience. I have a manual and know how to drive it efficiently. I get between 36-45 mpg, depending on whether the gas station sells 100% gas or an ethanol blend. Can reach anything from the driver's seat except the very back (trunk) part of hatchback. Gets in any parking space. Never had such a convenient, easy access car.

I have so many compartments and holders, and with the hatchback I have real convenience & easy access everywhere. I like the auxiliary audio jack a lot -- plug in my iPhone and listen to lectures and audiobooks and music all the time. Wish I had this car in college!

I wish Toyota would make their air systems so that you can run the AC in defroster mode with recirculated air, not external air.

Great Car
By TravW

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall the car was one of the best investments I have ever made. The fuel economy was excellent and the small design is misleading. The interior is very roomy. Wonderful car.

Numerous cup holders, total of 5 as I recall and they fit every cup you can imagine. The fold flat seats make it so you can fit practically anything in the car. Backseats are also extremely comfortable.

CD player eats CDs and takes 2 hours to spit it back out. Larger engine would be helpful. car doesn't have a lot of get up and go.

Love the Yaris
By Robert

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the absolutely red hatchback. I love the car. Great gas mileage, fun to drive. Everyone asks me if it's a hybrid. Great for city driving.

Exterior looks, gas mileage, easy maneuverability

Would prefer an inside lock for the hatchback. Sometimes when going uphill, the car sounds like it's buzzing and being overworked, so less engine noise would be nice. Also, I do not like the downshift logic. Could definitely do without that.

Good no Great Car and Fun
By Joseph Campa

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I read several reviews before I bought my Yaris and I feel that Toyota has a winner. I also have a civic and the Yaris is a better car in quality and reliability. I am considering buying another one. I only wish that you could get a split rear seat and center console on the base model. Small car with a big interior is the Yaris with exceptional gas mileage. I got a little over 38 mpg with mine and that is great when you have two active girls that need to go places. Smooth ride and exceptional comfort.

Interior and exterior features and gas mileage.

Split rear seat on all models. Center console on all models. More upgrades.

'08 Yaris, the future of cars
By Chris

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Ive had my '08 Yaris, 5 speed for a little over a year. I drive conservatively and average between 37-40 mpg. There is nothing fancy or luxurious about this car, and if you rely on your car to impress your fellow man, this is not for you. But, if your desire is to have affordable, economical, and reliable transportation, image be damned, then you want a Toyota Yaris. This car just keeps running, requiring only gasoline and the 5K mile routine maintenance (oil change, tire pressure check, etc. This is an excellent car and I heartily recommend it to anyone who asks. Buy this car, and you too will have a hard time keeping a straight face when passing the Escalade, Hummer saps.