Used 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 123 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

Custom Yaris
By Mike

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Yaris 3 door hatchback 1.5 w/auto for almost 2 years. This is a very good car. Love it! I have started to customize. Custom wheels, cold air intake, cat back exhaust, rear spoiler. The exhaust and cold air intake has really made a difference 10% more hp and 10% better gas mileage.

Quick, fun to drive, roomy, Toyota quality.

Brakes could be better.

Close to Perfection
By Joe

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

The longer I have this car, the more I love it. As much or more than anything it is just plain fun to drive. It handles like a go kart around the corners. It gets around 35+ mpg in town. I love the 2 door hatchback because the doors are longer than they are on a 4 door and easier to get in and out of. It is short enough to walk around to the hatch to put things in very easily, especially with the flat floor. If you want cruise, make sure to get if from the factory, as an aftermarket unit is clumsy to reach and it is more expensive since the car is not pre-wired for it like most other vehicles.

Handling is great. Gas Mileage is great. Most fun car to drive. Super easy access to rear cargo area. Turns around in very small spaces, very maneuverable. Did I mention how fun it is to drive?!! Easy to wash and wax. Neat looking car!! I love this car!!

It might be nice to have the rear hatch window go down for quiet ventilation. The steering should adjust in and out. The stock tires are fine for summer but worthless in the snow, get Michelin Harmony's if you live where it snows. Put cruise on all of them at the factory.

Overall not bad
By Ian

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This month is my Yaris' first birthday and being my first new car, it has been a pretty decent experience after 15,000 miles. Very reliable car, no engine issues, manual is almost... fun sometimes. Air works well, and stereo is not bad. Only issues I've had are the easily scratched panels, very annoying... also the panels where seat belts are get gauged. My Camry had a more resilient interior. Gas mileage is excellent, best I got was 360 miles to one tank on the hwy, and for an 11 gallon tank, that ain't too shabby. The exterior damages way too easily also. Bumpers on this car are horrible and expensive to repair, try not to back into anything, its going to be over 500 to fix. Good car overall.

Peppy, good gas mileage, reliable, good basic transportation.

better interior materials for less scratches, better bumpers that don't cost an arm and a leg to fix, more tech options: bluetooth, volume controls, real ipod connection, etc.

Fun Yaris
By Sharon

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Yaris for 10mns and I love it. It is the most fun car to drive and you can make a lot of U turns. The gas mileage is wonderful, I get 33-35 except when running the A/C then it drops to around 25. There is more power than you would expect from this little 4cyl. My 6'4" friend has plenty of head room. I can't say anything bad because as far as I'm concerned it's the perfect car!

I had a remote starter installed.

Much more than I thought
By Chuck

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the four-door hatchback, 5-speed (Mexico). Ordered the "base model" - got 15 inch tires, CD, ABS brakes, A/C, Tach, rear window wiper; which seems more than the base model in the US. I wanted to buy American made but could NOT beat price, quality, economy. Broke- in on Mexico-Florida-Michigan-Mexico trip. At 65 mph I averaged 39 mpg. Replaced back seat with carpeted 3/4 inch plywood, so it's a mini-minivan: the hatch and back doors are a dream for access. I really baby it around town and love its eye-catching good looks. It is FUN to drive; stable, peppy, stylish. I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I do. It is satisfying, even after over one year.

Special attention people give you. The versatility of the four-door hatch. Reliability and great economy. Good handling and fun to drive.

Higher 5th gear on tranny; telescoping steering wheel; water temperature gauge.