Used 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 123 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

Best value in a compact car
By davedietrich

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have done extensive research before buying the Yaris. Reliability is bulletproof, low maintenance costs, drives like it is a bigger car. With the right tires (Michelin Defender) the drive is very smooth and quiet. Fuel economy is exceptional. Peppy for an auto with only a 1.5 engine. Surprisingly good room in the back and front seats. The seats are quite comfortable and supportive. Only negative is the small cargo area in the hatchback. Will be driving this car for a very long time. If you need a car that does not break the bank or your budget for as long as you own it, yo really can not go wrong with a Yaris.

Style, fuel economy, roomy interior, love the centre dash display, controlled ride, side air bags not standard on early year models

More cargo space please! This has been rectified in the 2012/2013 Yaris model years.

very pleased
By heatherx360

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in February after my volkswagen beetle and bmw both croaked, and costed over 5500.00 to repair each.
I didnt like it at first but fell in love after. The style it cute, plenty of room, better mpg than prius cost is almost half, doesnt have all that eletrical junk that seems to always fail, cheap to fix and easy to work on, cheap car but everything is built with great quality unlike volkswagens cheap plastic everything, very easy to park. Im a delivery driver and couldnt ask for a better car. Parents owned 7 toyotas and none had less than 250k miles one had 326k still running today. the yaris has everything plus the toyota reliability and it wont break your bank

I really love everything about this car

could use a 6th gear

Worth it.
By Elaine

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new and I must say I have not been disappointed. For $13,500 there is no way I could have gotten a better new car than this. It is fun to drive (had a 00 Volvo before this) and you get great gas mileage. Makes great U-turns and I can actually parallel park with this car. As far as built quality, well that is where it really could do better. Too much cheap plastic and the inside cloth on the driver's door is fading for some reason. As far as reliability goes, I see it lasting forever. I've put 17K miles on it and have done only the oil changes.

Cup holders, cute looks, roomy, Aux input, seats high up, cool looking dashboard at night, fun to drive, no blind spots.

The outside is already dented in 3 places just from shopping carts at the parking lot, you feel every small rock on the road, very noisy inside, when turning air on it smells disgusting, original tires are dangerous in the water (mine has slipped).

It's good enough so far
By Duder

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the little hatch back because I needed it's versatility and high fuel economy. The seat isn't exactly comfortable but supports my back better than the competition. I like it's French Styling with it's typical center mounted speedometer. All the storage bins are great and so is the extensible sun visor. The optional arm rest is well positioned for me and I like that the center console doesn't rob knee room. The thing that irritates me the most are all the rattles and vibrations that come and go. The good side of this annoyance is that it keeps me just irritated enough on long trips to keep me wide awake. In this respect the rattles add to the safety of the car.

Economy and maneuverability and funny looks.

Placing a digital speedometer display in front of the driver just below the windshield and putting a storage bin where the speedometer currently is. Clean up the front nose a little and add telescopic steering like the ones sold in the UK have.

This car deserves better press!
By Jon

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

A great, well-designed little car. Very comfortable for me (I'm 6'2", 220#) with more headroom than my Dad's minivan and more knee room than my friend's Mazda 3. As a tall person who usually finds the steering wheel partially blocking the speedometer, I actually found the center-mount speedo an improvement. Have driven the car through Wyoming blizzards and ugly urban commutes and found it pleasant, sturdy and nimble. It also holds a lot, like me, my 2-man crew, 2 tool boxes, & 25 gallons of paint (never thought the Yaris would muscle in on my pick-up!). Best mileage I've had was 42mpg on a run between S.F. and Reno. The worst was 25 mpg in urban stop & go commuting (using no freeways at all).

Had no idea the car would be so much fun to drive. Super-responsive steering and quick acceleration in the 0-50mph range (much like a Mini or Jetta). The engine can dog a bit on sustained climbs at highways speeds, but nothing as bad as the Hyundais or Ford Focuses I've driven in similar conditions.

The main issue with the Yaris cockpit design is visibility--the A-pillars to the left and right of the windshield eat a lot of space, and frequently block the turn signals of vehicles around you in multi-lane environments like freeways. Can also create a blind spot for pedestrians in crosswalks.