Used 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 122 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

Great little car
By kernal

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2007 Camry XLE V6 which I use for long trips. I wanted a small economical new car with good mileage to drive around locally. I compared the Chev Aveo, the Smart car and a small Kia. I felt the Toyota Yaris would meet my needs and I have not been disappointed. The mpg is very good above advertised. The car is comfortable, fun and easy to drive. For a small 2 door hatchback it has a surprising amount interior room. With the rear 60-40 rear seat down it has a great cargo space in the back. I added a few options for comfort and appearance. As with any small car it sways on the highway in high crosswinds. Overall I am very pleased with this car. It does cost a little more than similar.

My Yaris has auto trans and the power package with electric windows, good radio and rear wiper with heated glass. I like the standard features that come with the base model. High mileage was my reason for buying this car. All Yaris' have a great 1.5 L engine with 4 valves per cyl and VVT.

I was disappointed that the Yaris is in short supply and it is hard to find what you want on this car. The Toyota web site says that the car comes with quite a few options. You cannot order a car from the factory with your desired features. You must take what comes off the truck carrier. Bummer.

small car, but so roomy inside.
By i like driving now

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I just got my Yaris and I couldn't be happier! My explorer was only 2 years old, but the gas prices were killing me and it was just too big. I enjoy driving now. I never have any backseat passengers anyway, so i put the backseats down and it's like a mini-suv. I even fit a desk and chair back there. I love all the cubby and stash places. I don't like things loose in my car. The doors are big it's alot easier to get in and out than I thought it would be. Didn't realize it tells you what gear you are in on the computer screen. Mom drove it in 3rd. Now we got it figured out. It has a great turn radius so 3 point turns are a cinchOutside. They put a lot of thought into this little car!

All the gloveboxes and cubbies. The design is so cute, very euro. Easy and fun to drive. I like the speedometer placement I think it is stupid to have to look through a steering wheel. Great gas mileage. Auxiliary input. Black interior, black seats with blue polka dots! No beige please!

I'd like to see more options. Leather would be nice. Another ac input I only found one. Heated seats. I think a center console would be really be awesome.

WOW!
By Bill3865

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I read dozens of reviews on this site before I bought my very own Yaris just 6 hours ago! What an awesome little car! I'm 6' 2" and 262 pounds and this car has plenty of room for me. The A/C will freeze you to death, the fuel efficient engine has more than enough zip to make driving fun again. It looks great, drives great, handles great, and I love it. Mine has factory cruise control, so it is available for the hatchback. I love this car :)

Storage compartments, sporty handling, good visibility, and everything else! Super car!

Make center armrest standard

Decent enough car, really slow.
By Alex

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

This was my commuter that I bought a few months ago. On the good side I average about 34 MPG with around 70/30 city/highway. Another plus is the design, cute and well made. Unfortunately, the car has quite a few downs... such as the acceleration. It truly feels economy car like. If you really want any type of hustle from this car, you need to darn near floor it. It is also not that great to drive. The small thin wheels and comfort tuned cheap suspension don't make for very exciting backroads adventures. It is decently comfortable for front passengers and has a reasonable amount of space in back. But that driving position is just weird. Bottom line, it makes a good commuter/city car thats it.

MPG, passenger comfort, cute exterior, aux jack, nice interior storage

Acceleration, tiny trunk, bad to drive, 5'2" type driving position

YAR FOR KAR!!!!
By Karla

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am so happy with this car!!! There are tons of compartments for storage, and 5 cupholders! There is no front seat console unfortunately, but I found a website where I can get an aftermarket one that will fit my little car. I got the hatchback SPORT edition, and although that wasn't what I initially set out for, I'm so glad I got it! It's so fun, and people are always smiling at it and saying things like "sweet"! The hatchback is great for a single person like me, or just a couple, but if you have kids, the hatchback really isn't as practical as the sedan would be. This car has a lot of pick-up and power, it can climb steep hills with the best of them, especially with that 3rd gear.

It's so spacious inside, the passing 3rd gear is awesome and fun and easy to use, and it really gives the car extra power when you need to pass. MPG! I love the extra glove boxes on the drivers and passengers side of the dash board. It's a breeze to park and get out of tight spaces too.

A center console with storage and a fold out cupholder that could easily replace the existing cupholder between the 2 front seats. At least offer Cruise control in this car! A choice of interiors would also be nice, tan is a nicer option than black for hot locations.