Used 2009 Toyota Venza Consumer Reviews - 220 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Venza

View reviews for a specific Venza model:

6 year owners update, costs, would buy again
By Mary L

2009 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Awd and tow package kill mpg.
Do Replace tires w Michelins in snow--makes a big difference. The tires also are stickier than the oem, so expect mpg to drop.
Don't know why anyone would buy a car this large w 4 cyl...
Just replaced 1 of 4 catalytic converters $1200. Brakes last year. 105K mi. Put 28000 on in first year--Total invested $3600, including spendy tires.
Still like the car, usually I'm mad by the 3rd year. Would buy another, also w tow package, except not keen on new car prices. Last year I test drove 30, yes 30,used vehicles, 40-100k mi, for offspring. Except for the Volvo, the only one that didn't vibrate, rattle, or rust was my venza. That reset my expectations for sure. The interior is large enough for grown men, the surfaces are stain repellent-so fabric still looks great, even after schlepping a dog and a 9 yo.

steering wheel.
By Juan Carlos

2009 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

I was very happy with the car in general. The only issue is the steering wheel clicking that started around 38K miles. Yes, just after the warranty expired!!! It is a known issue, and an honest manufacturer will keep the warranty going, but no Toyota. To fix it, is very expensive because the part only costs over a 1K. I have 5 toyotas in the past, and because this issue I wont ever get a Toyota again.

Amazingly reliable - not sporting at all
By Nate

2009 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

This thing is super reliable. Nothing has gone wrong with it. Nothing. AWD is helpful in rain and snow and helps it handle better. The steering is slow-ish to react, the transmission often takes an age to find gears, it has enough power but the transmission just can't figure out which gear to put this thing in sometimes. Brakes are pretty spot on.

We opted for the cloth seats which are easily the most comfortable seats in any car, though BUYER BEWARE, the leather seats are *miserable.* The interior has held up very well to abuse from kids. The stereo doesn't sound bad either.

We have the 4 cylinder, 4-wheel drive model. I would not recommend the 4 cylinder if pairing it with 4 wheel drive. It does tend to struggle a bit. It doesn't quite have the torque it could have. If we could go back and buy the car again we'd easily opt for the 6 cylinder in a heartbeat. They actually get very similar mileage once you realize how uneconomically the 4 cylinder has to be pushed on occasion. It's also clattery and loud. The road noise is also not great either. Having a conversation with someone in the backseat is much harder than it should be.

Very Noisey!
By Ray

2009 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The ride quality and road noise are horrible on this car! Should be MUCH better on a car this size. I change tires that were recommended in the Toyota forums and they did not help at all! Won't buy another one!

Better than expected Modified to Much Better than
By mjwilli1

2009 Toyota Venza 4dr Wagon (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased new in 2009, I have a 4 cyl, with the towing package. That was the best investment I made. I have moved three times and can tow any trailer form Uhaul. No maintenance issue to date, but have replaced the tires once. They are expensive. The gas is not that great (Ave 25 MPG) especially when you tow (average MPG) but it runs great. 61,000 miles as of 12/2014. A/C is OK, not great. No complaints from passengers. Plenty of room in the back even for tall people. Back seats come down so I can haul almost anything a typical homeowner needs. Overall - Excellent!

It's now 2017 and I am about to replace the brakes for the first time. I have replaced the tires recently. Considering it is a cross over and 2009 the fuel economy is pretty good. I get around 24 around town and 26-28 on the highway. I am at 98,000 miles now and my biggest issues to date is I had a sensor go bad in one of my tires. So the check tire light was on all the time. Not a big deal, so I got that replaced after a while (about $80 total). Overall I can't believe that they stopped producing the vehicle. Of course mine was the first year they made them so maybe the ones after that were not as good. Who knows. I am on 8 years with no real problems to speak of.