Used 2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Consumer Reviews - 106 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Way Overrated
By David

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

This is my first and last Toyota truck. GMC has forgotten more about trucks than Toyota knows.

It is roomy inside.

Find out who designed the oil filter and fire him. It was obviously designed to make you return to the dealer for your oil changes. Put the transmission dip stick back in -- it bother's me not being able to check the fluid level.

Like the truck but has problems
By JLP

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Tundra Grade 4dr Double Cab LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

First Toyota truck I have ever owned. And probably last! I use it to pull my horse trailer and it does that well. But so did my Chevrolet and the Chevy would hold an alignment. Tundra wont. Had 4 alignments done in less than 2 years. Still wearing tires out way to soon. Dealer blames it on bad roads. Chevy was able to hold up to roads. Thought Toyota was supposed to be built better. Also, radio turned off and on by itself. Got it replaced, but lite still goes off and on. Really disappointed dealer cant fix alignment problem. Even took it to another tire place. Thought problem was fixed. After 3000 miles, tires are cupping again already and can feel it pulling. Ridiculous!

Tows great and has lots of power. Comfortable.

Fix alignment! And get better repair men in shop. Guess b/c I am a woman they think I am stupid.

Not a bad truck
By limey

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

The bed bounce can be very annoying. If you live in a area with concrete highways I would test drive it there to see how it handles. My kids find it fun now but I think that might change in a few years. The power from the 5.7 is amazing, you can pull away from almost everything on the road.

power, six cd changer with Sirius can't beat it, tail gate ( my kid can close it 5 years old), turning radius. easy to drive.

stop the bed bounce!

Great Truck!
By Steve

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

It came down to either this truck, or a Dodge Ram and I jumped at the HUGE rebate offered back when gas was over $4 a gallon. The exterior and interior look similar (better IMHO) to the Dodge. Everyone, to include Dodge, Chevy and Ford owners love my truck. The MSRP was over $32K and I got it for ~$24 with TTT, running bars and a 10 year 100K miles Bumper to Bumper warranty. The only 2 things I dislike are the MPG and the CHEAP radio. I drove a Suburban previously, so I was use to the MPG plus, that was why I saved over $8000. The radio also was the standard one and there was no way I would pay for the Limited package. Almost 18,000 miles and only had to get the radio replaced.

POWER! Over 400 HP and 400 TQ with the performance upgrades I added. The size and towing capacity. The value and reliability.

Better radio for the base/SR5 line. Just a little better MPG (1-2 MPG better).

Motor Rocks
By RF

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

My third Tundra (2001 SR5, 2005 SR5 4WD Crew). The motor simply rocks, its quiet, smooth and incredibly powerful. I tow a 5000 lb boat and you don't even know its there. The tranny works well while towing, but has trouble finding gears at slower speeds when not towing, especially when taking off from a light. Other than that, its my least favorite Tundra. It just doesn't feel well put together, the throttle is very punchy, I have several rattles and have had to replace the radio, oh and the little gas pedal recall. I commute and can routinely get 19 mpg if I use cruise control, which is awesome.

The motor, easy as that. Fuel mileage very respectable if you are light on your foot. Towing ability.

Squeaks, rattles, radio issues and recalls. Tranny could use some tweaking to cure some quirks.