Used 2008 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews - 170 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Great Powertrain!!
By Slysnakeman

2008 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr CrewMax SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Truck has loads of power and a silky shifting 6 speed tranny. MPG has stayed around 16 overall with about 30% of my driving in the city. Truck steers and tracks exceptional and acceleration is effortless. Overall the ride quality is "good" not great. The rear suspension rides jittery and a bit stiff. It's what I expected from a truck with a 1500 lb. payload and 10,000 lb. towing capacity. I've really enjoyed the nav/JBL with bluetooth, and the backup camera is very helpful in a truck this size.

Engine, transmission, nav, Bluetooth, and the actuator assisted tailgate.

Better OEM tires than the Dunlop SP5000. Offer a lighter duty model that is not as stiff in the rear and does not have the "bed bounce" that the current model seems to have.

Can't wait to jump in and drive
By AOD

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr CrewMax SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I am 42 and I have owned 51 vehicles since 1984. I always thought Toyota had a bland design so I never bought until 2007. Now I LOVE Toyota. Seems all their efforts go into the important aspects of a vehicle, not "bells and whistles" I am so JACKED about my new Tundra and struggle to find anything significantly wrong. Just LOVE the Tundra!!!

Rides like a Caddy. Great ground clearance. Roomy interior. Ability to tow.

Stock tires not so good. Stick antenna (should be integrated in window). Why does a Corolla have an integrated key and the Tundra does not???

Toyota "Blunder" Limited
By Toyota Blunder

2008 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Have owned most light trucks over the last 25 years. This by far disappoints in most categories. The ride is harsh and poorly dampened, the radio, though upgraded could not keep a station. The integrated phone system, though great in concept worked when it wanted to. The steering is vague, the transmission needs improvement. 6 spd. sounds good until you put it to the test. Coming to a stop it was evident that you could experience each speed back to 1st. 6th gear is like the old 3sp. stick if you shifted too quickly the vehicle sounded as if it were lagging... same for the Tundra. The interior: plastic. I have bought a new Avalanche, top of the line for less money... fabulous

Great brakes. needed to improve them after old design. What took so long? Great interior storage. Solid, no rattles. The gas pedal is too sensitive for this overly powerful truck.

Not enough room here. This truck is so mismatched, how bout something to look at. Standard suspension is horrible. How about some sound insulation from the harsh engine and drivetrain... this truck is not quiet. Start at square one.

Tundra Crew Max SR5
By Frank Aparo

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr CrewMax SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Good truck I have had Chevrolet / Dodge this my first Toyota. Great engine I have got 21 MPG with the big engine key is to use the cruise and leave it at 70 MPH. I also use either Mobil 1 or Valvoline Synthetic which helps a little. I wish Toyota had the compass in the SR5 package. Visibility is the worst of any truck I have had big blind spots could be fixed with split mirrors, but I did not want the towing mirrors. I bought the CrewMax for the rear leg room it is by far the biggest rear seat room cab. I am amazed that to change the oil the skid plate must be removed. I work for an automotive supplier and we supply all of the big 3 and transplants Toyota has the toughest specs.

CrewMax rear seat room

Compass on the SR5 package, better visibility with windows that are lower in the side panels for better site lines when passing. Oil filter access panel

Nearly Perfect Truck
By sfb452

2008 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr CrewMax 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I have almost 14k on the truck and I am more than impressed. I am very demanding of my vehicles and have no tolerance for rattles, design flaws, quality, etc. No disappointments with this truck so far. I have driven the truck in rain, snow and ice. Rarely need 4WD to get around even in the worst conditions. Tons of power, excellent transmission & brakes. Averaging 17.1 combined mpg on new AT tires. Tows like a diesel. Amazingly quite and solid road manners. Unbelievable amount of room in front and rear seats. All of the gadgets (bluetooth, rear camera, nav) work perfectly. I have purchased over a dozen new trucks (all brands gas and diesel). So far, the best truck I have ever owned.

Powerful, smooth engine. Excellent transmission and brakes. I do not know how I lived without the rear camera or bluetooth. Sunroof and power rear window have also been a pleasure. Tons of room in cab and storage areas throughout the cabin. Incredibly quiet on rough roads and in high winds.

I had one minor dash rattle but fixed in about 5 minutes myself. Stock tires are horrible on anything but dry pavement. Gas gauge is way off. Headroom is tight with SR if over 6'. Homelink buttons do not light up. IPod integration? Paint seems a little less durable. Tailgate feels underbuilt.