Used 2006 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Surprising workhorse/pony
By papabotts

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have had this surprisingly powerful workhorse for 2.5 yrs. now and and quite pleased. It hauls like a truck but drives like a car. It has power and the rear sliding window handles 20 foot boards. I've hauled full pallets of wallstone with little sway. Perfect for work and family. Only problems have been large turning radius and transmission with cruise on gets finicky. Test drove a Titan, a Ram and F-150 and pleased with my selection. Have power everything, all works great. Cup holders 4 full crew,plenty of storage compartments all over the place. Truck NOT heavy duty, but hauls well. Fuel 16c-19 hwy

Slide down rear window, quiet, peppy ride, easy in & out of 4 wheel on a roll @ 55 mph, great off road, handles full pallet of stone with relative ease of handling. JBL sound system is AWESOME w/ front tweeters right in front at ear level

Better MPG for H-power quotient, de-bug transmission, especially feel like tapped from behind feeling at red lights, desire manual transmission as option fold out computer tray for estimating?

Worth the Money
By Bryan G.

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this truck new; despite the updated bodystyle, this truck gets looks. Purchased the XSP package, everyone asks me about the 20" tires & rims. I tell them it came with the package. Truck has been extremely reliable, will tow & carry whatever I need it to. Do not drive much (only about 7K per year), the gas mileage is what it is; a consistent 15 mpg around town.

Overall look, 20" tires & rims

controls/CD player/radio is very basic

Good but not great
By Dan

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have had this vehicle just over two years. I had an 03 access cab but with a growing family, needed the extra room. I mostly drive in the city and I am averaging around 17 MPG. I would of liked a bit more. The paint, while not bad, easily dings and scratches. Parking, as has been mentioned before, is a chore, so I park way out at most places. The transmission seems to have a hard time finding the correct gear, specially when using the cruise. The automatic downshifting when going downhill is also annoying. Otherwise, I wish it had a little better acceleration. Also, it eats front tires. Alignment OK though. Overall, decent truck, but it doesn't really stand out in any particular category.

Roomy, very comfortable. No mechanical problems. A 7/8 truck size is perfect for me.

Not available in 2007, but better gas mileage, better acceleration, hyper- shifting transmission, nicer interior design, better factory equipped tires (Dunlop Grand Trek are junk).

By Pete

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I posted back on 4/30/06 and I wanted to comment again. I've owned my Tundra 2 1/2 years now and I'm totally satisfied. I did put flowmasters 70 series (duals) on it and I'm very pleased. Additionally, I did put a K&N filter in it as well. I like the sound of it but more importantly my MPG is decent now. I don't drive like a race car driver but I do use it like a truck. City driving I get 16-17. Highway is 19 to 22. Here is the secret... 70 MPH is where I stop getting 20 MPG or better. It drops down to 18-19 MPG.

I like everything about my truck. I have no intentions of trading it in.

It still bugs me about no transmission dipstick but I just had my 30,000 mile service down and the fluid was just fine. The only other item that I'm looking at now is raising the front end to be be level with the rear. I like 4x4s to be the same height.

This truck rocks!
By Rufus

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The more I drive it, the more I like it! I Just took a trip to a wild park north of where I live, 400 kilometers round trip, I was driving normally, using the air conditioning, I got 23.5 miles per gallon, U.S. gallons, I think that is pretty good! I use it to haul my snowmobile up to the mountains and drive to work. I just put a K&N reusable air filter on it this week, I noticed a little more snap off the line, but it was already a very quick little truck. All in all I am very happy with it.

The ride and the performance, nice colour!!

Brakes could be better, sound system could be better.