Used 2006 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Love My truck
By DHoward96

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love the truck more and more everyday. I bought it 7/31/06. I was a Chevy man to the core, traded a 00 Silverado ext. cab to get this truck. I have used it to tow everything from my 24 ft. pontoon to my 25 ft. camper. I tested 06 Silverado and Ram crew cabs, they didn't compare to this truck overall. Had a bigger bed than the 06 Silverado and interior is just as comfortable. All the Dodge had going for it was that gas-sucking hemi. Toyota in my opinion had it beat everywhere else. If Toyota ever produces a diesel, I will never drive anything else. That is the only way you will ever get decent fuel mileage towing a camper. Great looking truck too. Large truck fuel economy though.

X-SP 2 package with stock 18 in. rims, looks, power, handling, comfort for 5 185-225 lb. adults.

13-15 mpg city, 17-19 mpg highway, 9 10 mpg towing camper, 5 acres required to do a u-turn. About same as Silverado was though so.... and besides full-size truck and great mpg have never gone in the same sentence.

Fifth, but Last ,Toyota Pickup
By red rider

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my fifth Toyota truck. It is not as reliable as the other four. Delivered it with a badly warped disc brake rotor. I had the front rotors replaced. I also had the recalled ball joints replaced. Now, at 18,000 miles, the outside of the right front tire is worn bald. The auto-dimming rear view mirror and the Homelink circuits have been repaired twice.

Ride

Quality control was lacking the day they made this one.

First V8 Truck
By Hayden

2006 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I really missed not having a truck for the past 5 years. With the $4 a gallon gas I found some amazing deals out there on barely used trucks. I usually commute on a 52mpg motorcycle so fuel mileage is irrelevant to me. Having said that I average 19.1 gallons in the tundra with a easy driving style. It will get over 20mpg on road trips @70-75 mph. I wanted a double cab with at least a 6' bed which ruled out a lot of trucks. I drove a dodge and ford but they seemed to lack refinement and power. Overall I am very happy with the truck its the limited so its loaded with very nice JBL 6 disc changer, plenty of interior room, excellent ride smooth and quiet.

Power and torque is great for towing my 21' boat. Great for loading the bed and camping trips. Handles 6' lumber loads easily with tailgate up. Comfortable seats and excellent control placement. Quick warm up time in the winter. Power rear window. Factory tow package incl transmission cooler stock.

Alarm shock sensors over sensitive. Paint seems to chip easily around the front grill and headlights. I paid $16,000 (with a 7yr/100,000 mile warranty) for a 2 y/o truck with 28,000 miles on it. This truck was $32,000 new that is why I don't buy new trucks

So Far So Good
By R.Kuehner

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought the vehicle new, V8 with TRD package. It came with a 3" lift kit and 20" rims from the dealer. I'm averaging 16 mpg. The odometer is off by .1 and the odometer by 5 mph due to bigger wheels/tires. Plan to try K&N air filter and maybe a performance muffler such as Flomaster. Overall the truck handles well and is fun to drive. I have as good or better ground clearance than stock 4x4's from other manufacturers. I replaced the radio/CD player but kept the stock speakers as they sound pretty good.

Roll down rear window. Dealer option for 3" lift covered by warranty.

I have the regular cloth seats. The fabric gets damaged easily if you put boxes or other items on the seats. Need a more durable fabric. The covers on the screws for the hand grabs pop off easily, as do the caps on the windshield wipers... need to do better.

Update to my first review
By Jim

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I am liking my truck more every day! I get at least 20 mpg just doing every day driving, and I don't drive slow. I have had some short races with some supposed to be fast vehicles, so far I can leave them in the dust! Overall I think it is an awesome truck!

Very quick from a dead stop, and fast as hell from 100 kph to 160 kph.

Just those brakes! And the stereo is not much fun.