Used 2006 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Love My Truck
By paulb67

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

With all its faults, I love my truck. Great lease price, not a single mech. problem in 50K miles. Seats feel a little loose and have been to dealer several times to no avail. Gas mileage stinks on this as a daily driver no towing anything, but love the comfort and power. Also mirror on doors slightly loose.

Spacious cab, lot of power, 4x4

Better seat comfort.

I'm happy I looked and waited...
By lvitch

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Great Truck! Down sides: Needs better lumbar support, Big turning radius (I'm used to my old pathfinder), windshield scratches easily. I love this truck more every time I drive it. Plenty of power, I don't even know my 19' bass boat is back there. Highway passing is effortless. Gets the same mileage whether I'm towing or not (18 mpg). Plenty of room for me and my family (I'm 6'1 and my kids are huge). Hands down the best I looked at and drove, period.

The roll down rear window is awesome (the ford guys are so jealous). The cup holders will hold full size Gatorade bottles (6 cup holders too). Plenty of power points. Can you say 4.7 liter dual overhead cam hemi? Eat your heart out dodge.

Better lumbar support in the seats. Bigger transmission cooler (just in case).

Best Truck Made!
By GeoTundra

2006 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Access Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This truck is an all around great truck. It has never needed to be cranked more than one time to start even at 40,000 miles. This truck has gotten excellent fuel economy too! I've done about 550-600 miles on full tank, which I couldn't believe, remembering it's a V8. I took it to the dealer for the recall it had and it drives a little different from before but still not bad. Everything works as it should and this truck couldn't impress me more. No American car can compare to the reliability of this one.

It drives great and handles what you throw it (has TRD package). Fuel economy couldn't be better for a truck. And I've raced and beaten chevys, fords, and dodges (even a hemi).

Don't really love the same ol' dashboard as previous years, but very practical so not really a problem at all.

Love this Truck!
By Ballplayer7

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've had this truck over a year now, love every time I drive it. Had access cab before, love the double cab and 4wd. Truck came with dealer 3" lift kit, TRD Off Road Pkg and over sized tires. Still drives awesome in city or highway and wife feels comfortable driving also. On nice flat roads with cruise control I'll get 20+mpg, I had to do the calcs twice to confirm. Plenty of room in back for my fellow softballers, headroom and leg room, no complaints. Installed hard cover on bed and love the locking tailgate, plenty of room for our ballbags.

The lift kit the dealer installed, the handling, the ride quality for a 4x4. The sound of the TRD exhaust, trouble sometimes keeping foot off pedal.

Would like to have about 30 to 40 more hp from the engine. Feel they could have put in a 5.0L.

Pleased Tundra owner
By B. Maz

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

After having many chevy/gmc trucks, I was ready to get a truck I wouldn't be disappointed with. My SR5/TRD has been a pleasure to own & fun to drive. I look forward to the next time I have to drive somewhere. Having the tow package w/ 4.10 gears & the transmission oil cooler allows me to feel very confident that it's capable to handle any task the domestic trucks will do. With that in mind, the gear setting is also why I don't get good gas mileage(& I have a heavy right foot, LOVE the power). To sum things up, I wanted a smaller truck with full size capabilities & found it in the 06 Toyota TUNDRA SR5 access cab w/ TRD Off Road.

My favorites are the tow pkg. & TRD pkg. They are very helpful to me when I drive on the Delaware beaches in the soft sand. I've never buried my truck, it just seems to float across the sand with ease.

Enjoying off roading, I wish it had a little taller stance with slightly bigger tires. Too many trucks today are labeled with off road pkgs. but are more street designed. Lastly, do you really need 3 cat. converters on this truck? I feel it takes some HP away & makes for a costly repair in future