Used 2006 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews - 144 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

New old Tundra
By fossilfinder66

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Because it was such a beast to park, we traded our 2004 Tundra crew cab for a new Frontier but later missed the cushy Tundra ride. Several weeks ago we purchased a 2006 Access Cab with only 12,800 miles. It has the very comfortable captain's chairs with the short console. What a pleasure to take a trip in this baby. I was leary of getting the V-6 but the 5 speed automatic is programmed to work very well with this engine. Every power option works as a Toyota is expected to work. Even the back seats are large enough for small adults or grandchildren. This is a "real truck" without the bulk of other full size brands or the bounce of the smaller trucks.

A real truck that's 7/8 the size of other full-sized trucks, yet it is not a small truck either. All the Toyota brand quality and reliability is there.

Removable rear seat headrests to improve rear vision. Too late now but put shifter in center console. Owner's manual is totally incorrect on end piece for lowering the spare tire. This should have been corrected long ago.

Love My Truck
By paulb67

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

With all its faults, I love my truck. Great lease price, not a single mech. problem in 50K miles. Seats feel a little loose and have been to dealer several times to no avail. Gas mileage stinks on this as a daily driver no towing anything, but love the comfort and power. Also mirror on doors slightly loose.

Spacious cab, lot of power, 4x4

Better seat comfort.

I'm happy I looked and waited...
By lvitch

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Great Truck! Down sides: Needs better lumbar support, Big turning radius (I'm used to my old pathfinder), windshield scratches easily. I love this truck more every time I drive it. Plenty of power, I don't even know my 19' bass boat is back there. Highway passing is effortless. Gets the same mileage whether I'm towing or not (18 mpg). Plenty of room for me and my family (I'm 6'1 and my kids are huge). Hands down the best I looked at and drove, period.

The roll down rear window is awesome (the ford guys are so jealous). The cup holders will hold full size Gatorade bottles (6 cup holders too). Plenty of power points. Can you say 4.7 liter dual overhead cam hemi? Eat your heart out dodge.

Better lumbar support in the seats. Bigger transmission cooler (just in case).

Best Truck Made!
By GeoTundra

2006 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Access Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This truck is an all around great truck. It has never needed to be cranked more than one time to start even at 40,000 miles. This truck has gotten excellent fuel economy too! I've done about 550-600 miles on full tank, which I couldn't believe, remembering it's a V8. I took it to the dealer for the recall it had and it drives a little different from before but still not bad. Everything works as it should and this truck couldn't impress me more. No American car can compare to the reliability of this one.

It drives great and handles what you throw it (has TRD package). Fuel economy couldn't be better for a truck. And I've raced and beaten chevys, fords, and dodges (even a hemi).

Don't really love the same ol' dashboard as previous years, but very practical so not really a problem at all.

Love this Truck!
By Ballplayer7

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've had this truck over a year now, love every time I drive it. Had access cab before, love the double cab and 4wd. Truck came with dealer 3" lift kit, TRD Off Road Pkg and over sized tires. Still drives awesome in city or highway and wife feels comfortable driving also. On nice flat roads with cruise control I'll get 20+mpg, I had to do the calcs twice to confirm. Plenty of room in back for my fellow softballers, headroom and leg room, no complaints. Installed hard cover on bed and love the locking tailgate, plenty of room for our ballbags.

The lift kit the dealer installed, the handling, the ride quality for a 4x4. The sound of the TRD exhaust, trouble sometimes keeping foot off pedal.

Would like to have about 30 to 40 more hp from the engine. Feel they could have put in a 5.0L.