Used 2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

By Pete

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I posted back on 4/30/06 and I wanted to comment again. I've owned my Tundra 2 1/2 years now and I'm totally satisfied. I did put flowmasters 70 series (duals) on it and I'm very pleased. Additionally, I did put a K&N filter in it as well. I like the sound of it but more importantly my MPG is decent now. I don't drive like a race car driver but I do use it like a truck. City driving I get 16-17. Highway is 19 to 22. Here is the secret... 70 MPH is where I stop getting 20 MPG or better. It drops down to 18-19 MPG.

I like everything about my truck. I have no intentions of trading it in.

It still bugs me about no transmission dipstick but I just had my 30,000 mile service down and the fluid was just fine. The only other item that I'm looking at now is raising the front end to be be level with the rear. I like 4x4s to be the same height.

This truck rocks!
By Rufus

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The more I drive it, the more I like it! I Just took a trip to a wild park north of where I live, 400 kilometers round trip, I was driving normally, using the air conditioning, I got 23.5 miles per gallon, U.S. gallons, I think that is pretty good! I use it to haul my snowmobile up to the mountains and drive to work. I just put a K&N reusable air filter on it this week, I noticed a little more snap off the line, but it was already a very quick little truck. All in all I am very happy with it.

The ride and the performance, nice colour!!

Brakes could be better, sound system could be better.

Smooth Ride
By Pop

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab Limited 4dr Access Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Durable and reliable, this truck rides like a nice sedan. Radio remote on steering wheel changes am, fm, cd, volume, stations. Nice large console. Lockable bed. Large size takes getting used to if you haven't been driving a large truck. Mileage is not good but is typical of a large pickup.

Smooth ride, radio controls, back seats fold up for storage.

Floorboard lights should be standard equipment.

'06 Tundra One Reliable Truck
By Don Stowe

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Tundra, owned the 2000 when it first came out, with never a problem. The '06 had recall for new lower ball joints, never had a problem with it. The 2000 was never in the shop, not once. The '06 as a recall as mentioned and 2 oil changes but I usually do my own. This is one reliable truck very responsive and tough with good fuel economy for its size. I would not hesitate to own another, sold on the quality of the vehicle. The ride is excellent, have made several trips to haul various things. Pulls my utility trailer loaded and with the bed loaded too very well. Can put a 1/2 ton on the tailgate and ride. The truck can haul a heavy load. Tundra is one solid truck.

Quality in the interior with comfortable seat as well as a nicely finished interior. Sits up well and hauls a heavy load. Very dependable.

Wow, not what I had expected
By Zack

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Not sure what I've got myself into. I'm on the verge of chalking this one up as a huge disappointment. The exhaust sounds like it has a leak and is consistently loud at low speeds. The brakes don't act right, stop fine, but front to back seem to engage at different times. Have noticed a slight lean in the rear of the bed. Front end ride was nice and firm at first, but getting sloppy and coarse - worse with loads. What I had expected was a no frills, solidly built, refined truck. I really can't say that's what I got. Now I have the headache of dealing with the dealership to try to address these problems. Bought new w/7miles on OD. 91 oct req'd 4 quiet engine.

The potential of getting 22 mpg on highway (almost had it). Horsepower. It does fit my basic needs.

With the name that Toyota has built, I almost feel guilty about complaining. Just thought I'd share, for what it's worth.