Used 2006 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Our Boutique Tundra
By carnut1973

2006 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We purchased our burgundy Tundra Double Cab Limited 2WD new...had all options:
sunroof, leather, 6-disc in-dash changer and dealer installed Borla exhaust (which sounded great--it was the wife's truck and she wanted a truck that sounded like a truck). Our Tundra performed wonderfully but we sold it when gas prices shot over $4/gal because it really was only being used as a commuter-got about 16 in town and could squeeze out 20 on the highway.
As a boutique truck it did great--smooth ride, 5 adults could travel in comfort and the full size bed w/ tonneau cover could carry ridiculous amounts of luggage.

1/2 acre-sized sunroof, rear window that rolled down, strong JBL sound system; comfortable, heated, leather captain chair seats.

The only real gripe was the "old school" looking dash board. The transmission tended to down-shift too easily when cruising on the interstate going up a hill--the computer's programming was probably set up under the assumption the truck would be hauling more weight than we did. Also, this was probably more noticeable since we had the Borla exhaust on it which really could not be heard when cruising except when the truck downshifted. With the stock exhaust I would assume the downshifting would be less noticeable.

Best Truck I Ever Owned!
By Blair

2006 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck is excellent. Haven't had it very long, but I love it! I have basic needs, but need the 8' bed, so I purchased the 2DR V6. Exceptional. Hoot to drive, looks great, responsive, very tight.

Gorgeous truck--tough, manly looking (if you're into that sort of thing (I know I am.). Starts quick, runs strong, build quality is outstanding! Tightest truck I ever drove.

Lumbar support guys!! Getting old. More interior storage/cubbyholes, better drink holders. The clock is placed low and behind the in-dash cup holders(?) Other than that, tremendous vehicle. Also, I get good mileage out of the V6.

I liked this truck
By Rob

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this Toyota with about 44,000 miles on it and owned it for about a year. I did about 12,000 miles in it and never encountered any reliability issues. It was fairly powerful and quite fun to drive; it felt lighter and the handling felt more responsive than my father's F-150 but I found it harder to park. I eventually got in the habit of parking it in reverse which was much easier than parking forward. I am a careful driver and can usually get better than estimated MPG but I found that I was unable to improve this truck's MPG much with careful driving. The car felt well built and the interior was solid, although I did have some problems with paint peeling from the front bumper.

Fairly powerful and fun to drive. I never used the truck for towing. The interior was well designed with useful compartments and had plenty of room for other people. Never saw any problems from light off road driving and long highway driving. Always started quickly and never had reliability issues.

Paint began peeling from the front bumper around the time I sold it, but the rest of the paint was fine. I have spent time driving other trucks but I had difficulty parking and doing U-turns in this one as it seemed to have a large turning radius. Better MPG would be nice, but it is a truck.

2006 Tundra XSP
By miller1624

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this truck new. It now has 87K miles on it and it has never had anything done but oil service. Very dependable and sharp truck. My only compliant is it gets poor fuel mileage and the turning radius is terrible. Bottom line it looks great and never breaks down.

Great looks very reliable.

turning radius

Great Truck, Poor MPG
By Chuck F

2006 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this truck just over a yr ago, changed the plugs and air filter, but still can not get over 13.9 on a trip straight through driving. Got as low as 10 mpg 4 wheel drive winter city driving, I average 12.5 mpg :(

Leather, heated seats, jbl speakers, electric rear window, sunroof, steering wheel controls, no leaks!

Fuel Economy, GPS is not user friendly.