Used 2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

New old Tundra
By fossilfinder66

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Because it was such a beast to park, we traded our 2004 Tundra crew cab for a new Frontier but later missed the cushy Tundra ride. Several weeks ago we purchased a 2006 Access Cab with only 12,800 miles. It has the very comfortable captain's chairs with the short console. What a pleasure to take a trip in this baby. I was leary of getting the V-6 but the 5 speed automatic is programmed to work very well with this engine. Every power option works as a Toyota is expected to work. Even the back seats are large enough for small adults or grandchildren. This is a "real truck" without the bulk of other full size brands or the bounce of the smaller trucks.

A real truck that's 7/8 the size of other full-sized trucks, yet it is not a small truck either. All the Toyota brand quality and reliability is there.

Removable rear seat headrests to improve rear vision. Too late now but put shifter in center console. Owner's manual is totally incorrect on end piece for lowering the spare tire. This should have been corrected long ago.

Best Truck Made!
By GeoTundra

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab Limited 4dr Access Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This truck is an all around great truck. It has never needed to be cranked more than one time to start even at 40,000 miles. This truck has gotten excellent fuel economy too! I've done about 550-600 miles on full tank, which I couldn't believe, remembering it's a V8. I took it to the dealer for the recall it had and it drives a little different from before but still not bad. Everything works as it should and this truck couldn't impress me more. No American car can compare to the reliability of this one.

It drives great and handles what you throw it (has TRD package). Fuel economy couldn't be better for a truck. And I've raced and beaten chevys, fords, and dodges (even a hemi).

Don't really love the same ol' dashboard as previous years, but very practical so not really a problem at all.

Pleased Tundra owner
By B. Maz

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

After having many chevy/gmc trucks, I was ready to get a truck I wouldn't be disappointed with. My SR5/TRD has been a pleasure to own & fun to drive. I look forward to the next time I have to drive somewhere. Having the tow package w/ 4.10 gears & the transmission oil cooler allows me to feel very confident that it's capable to handle any task the domestic trucks will do. With that in mind, the gear setting is also why I don't get good gas mileage(& I have a heavy right foot, LOVE the power). To sum things up, I wanted a smaller truck with full size capabilities & found it in the 06 Toyota TUNDRA SR5 access cab w/ TRD Off Road.

My favorites are the tow pkg. & TRD pkg. They are very helpful to me when I drive on the Delaware beaches in the soft sand. I've never buried my truck, it just seems to float across the sand with ease.

Enjoying off roading, I wish it had a little taller stance with slightly bigger tires. Too many trucks today are labeled with off road pkgs. but are more street designed. Lastly, do you really need 3 cat. converters on this truck? I feel it takes some HP away & makes for a costly repair in future

So Far So Good
By R.Kuehner

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought the vehicle new, V8 with TRD package. It came with a 3" lift kit and 20" rims from the dealer. I'm averaging 16 mpg. The odometer is off by .1 and the odometer by 5 mph due to bigger wheels/tires. Plan to try K&N air filter and maybe a performance muffler such as Flomaster. Overall the truck handles well and is fun to drive. I have as good or better ground clearance than stock 4x4's from other manufacturers. I replaced the radio/CD player but kept the stock speakers as they sound pretty good.

Roll down rear window. Dealer option for 3" lift covered by warranty.

I have the regular cloth seats. The fabric gets damaged easily if you put boxes or other items on the seats. Need a more durable fabric. The covers on the screws for the hand grabs pop off easily, as do the caps on the windshield wipers... need to do better.

Update to my first review
By Jim

2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I am liking my truck more every day! I get at least 20 mpg just doing every day driving, and I don't drive slow. I have had some short races with some supposed to be fast vehicles, so far I can leave them in the dust! Overall I think it is an awesome truck!

Very quick from a dead stop, and fast as hell from 100 kph to 160 kph.

Just those brakes! And the stereo is not much fun.