Used 2006 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Solid Truck
By Good truck

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

If you don't need a large engine for hauling loads, this is a solid vehicle. The performance has been good thus far. MPG is a bit lower than I'd like for a smaller V8. Interior features are decent. So far it has been what I would expect from Toyota.

Heated mirrors, audio controls on the steering wheel. The double cab offers plenty of room for grown people and carseats.

Better fuel economy.

So far, so good
By FunPro

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2006 SR5 (4dr) in December. It has more than enough power, better than average comfort for a truck, and I like the look. It would be easy to complain about the mileage, but I do not believe anyone ever purchased a full size truck because it got good gas mileage. Therefore, I only have two concerns. When idling down a hill, almost any hill, it often shifts into a lower gear and the RPMs jump up to 3000+! The local dealership admitted to receiving complaints about this, but claimed there is no fix. Also, as others have stated, the turning radius is poor. If you are attempting a u-turn, make sure you have MORE than 2 lanes to your left.

Good acceleration, automatic rear window, plenty of legroom and cup holders for ALL passengers.

Improve the transmission, tighten the turning radius, and add lumbar support to the front seats.

Almost Worth The Wait
By Jack

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

After researching both large and small trucks for the last few years, the decision came down to the Tundra because of its build quality and price. Overall the truck is great. Great to drive, really comfortable and very quiet. I've only had a minor problem with the brake light sensor keeping the brake lights on. I'm extremely disappointed in the gas mileage, 12 in town and 15 on the road (its only a 2WD). I would have been happy with 16/18. Makes me wonder how this may affect the engine over time. Got 20 years out of my last truck, but I'm not sure yet how this Tundra will fare over time.

Body build quality, smooth and quiet ride. Feels like your driving in your living room. I use the retractable rear window a lot more than I thought.

Improve fuel economy. Seat covers and carpeting seem a little cheap.

06 Tundra Crew
By apcamby

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Awesome truck, good power, great ride, very comfortable, useful features, I would recommend this truck to anyone in the large truck market.

Full slide down back glass.

Wow, not what I had expected
By Zack

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Not sure what I've got myself into. I'm on the verge of chalking this one up as a huge disappointment. The exhaust sounds like it has a leak and is consistently loud at low speeds. The brakes don't act right, stop fine, but front to back seem to engage at different times. Have noticed a slight lean in the rear of the bed. Front end ride was nice and firm at first, but getting sloppy and coarse - worse with loads. What I had expected was a no frills, solidly built, refined truck. I really can't say that's what I got. Now I have the headache of dealing with the dealership to try to address these problems. Bought new w/7miles on OD. 91 oct req'd 4 quiet engine.

The potential of getting 22 mpg on highway (almost had it). Horsepower. It does fit my basic needs.

With the name that Toyota has built, I almost feel guilty about complaining. Just thought I'd share, for what it's worth.