Used 2005 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews - 144 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Love my Tundra
By Bill

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought my truck new and have loved it since the first day. I use synthetic oil and have it changed at the dealer about every 5000 miles. Last year I was in a 5 car accident. I was driving 65 mph, locked it up and stopped about 4 feet from hitting the car in front of me. The guy behind me did not stop. He smashed in the front end of his car and had to be towed. My bumper had a small dent and I was fine. He must have hit me at about 60 mph. Since then, I have bought a 4 Runner for my wife and a 4 Runner for my daughter for her first car. I need to get a timing belt put on the truck - get your maintenance at the dealer, your truck will last forever.

I love the reliability and after almost 100k miles people think it is 2 years old.

None

After 5,000 miles with my 2005 Tundra...
By rjw5150

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought the truck used in July 2008 and have been pleasantly surprised at the comfort and performance so far. When buying used, I highly recommend a Toyota off-lease vehicle given that it is easier to see its maintenance history. I didn't buy an extended warranty because I expect Toyota to be built well and durable. So far that is the case and my Tundra drives well, the double cab exceeds my expectations on space and room, the engine provides adequate power for our homeowner and daily driver uses such as hauling lumber, furniture, and the occasional load of dirt or rocks. Everything appears to be functioning as designed. We'll see how well the truck performs as I rack up the miles.

The 4.7 liter V-8 is smooth and has good power. The suspension and ride are smooth and handling is great for a bigger truck. The dash gauges and steering column controls are easily visible and accessible. Fit and finish on the interior appears good. The cab is quiet even at higher speeds.

Paint a little thin given a few paint chips on the hood; tire pressure warning light is on with factory-required pressure in tires; occasional squeaking from the front suspension and an occasional rattle from glove box door; fuel economy less than posted; engine may be little undersized for crew cab.

V6 Tundra like buying Tacoma with room
By gatr

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love my 4.0 Tundra. I bought it used and have driven it for 10 months. It's great on gas mileage and has plenty of in town power. It's great for small loads from the local box store and suburban hauling. The engine runs really nicely and the fit and finish in the truck is great. I would buy this truck again. If you don't haul big stuff there is no reason to get the V8.

5 spd auto trans, comfortable ride. Good value. Reliable!

Dash creaks... can be fixed with weather stripping but Toyota should fix this.

Excellent Truck for work and pleasure
By Bill

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My wife prefers riding in my truck on trips over her Infinity I35. She says it is more comfortable. The truck tows my 21'boat with ease. I've owned Chevys, Nissans and a T100 in the past and this is by far the best. Great truck.

The seats are very comfortable and the electric rear window is awesome. I can slide 16' boards through the window with ease.

Work on improving the mpg.

Smooth Quiet Ride
By Thule89

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Just bought this truck after having traded in my 2003 Chevy Suburban. Transmission is so smooth and ride is very quiet. Love the sliding rear glass window. Bed is easy to access and 4x4 works great. Don't know why I waited so long to buy one.

Sliding rear window and 4x4. Back seat is very roomy. Really enjoy the way the rear seats fold up to place large items inside the cab.

Increase the lighting on center console - very dim. Would like to see thicker bed walls.Would like to see the power inverter as standard equipment.