Used 2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Dependability!
By Bill

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is a classic Toyota. Very reliable vehicle with decent features that make it practical and economical. Can't say enough good things about the truck.

Rear window that slides down. Extremely smooth transmission and engine.

Better fuel economy for the size of engine.

Solid Performer
By William

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Drive Tundra to work everyday approx 22 miles of highway driving. Has been a very reliable vehicle with now having 62,000 miles and still on the original tires. Only maintenance has been by the book with fluid changes. Tow boat about once every two weeks and it handles a 3,000 pound package without any problem.

Fun to drive. Transmission is extremely smooth as well as the ride. Love the rear window that rolls down.

Should get better gas mileage with only a 4.7 litre motor and a relatively smaller frame as trucks go. Average about 16 city and 18 on highway.

55,000 miles and going!
By kevthom

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this truck in 2008 with 50,000 miles on it with faith in Toyota's reputation in longevity. So far no maintenance problems, just a battery replacement. The ride is comfortable with the TRD package, including at high speeds, and I love the full sliding rear window. The 4WD works great in snow with rare instances in which the 4WD does not engage immediately. The dashboard around the stereo and glove box squeaks irritatingly on bumps/rough roads, especially when cold. Overall a great vehicle and I plan on keeping it until it runs into the ground!

Engine runs smooth and strong, and transmission shifts smoothly. Love the sunroof (no leaks yet!) and full sliding rear window - compared to other trucks that have much smaller window. Good space for passengers and comfortable cloth seats.

The 4WD models should come standard with tube step bar beneath doors. Cruise control on the steering wheel is desirable, instead of behind the steering wheel.

Ford and Chevy don't stand a chance
By gnc1104

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my Tundra used after my F150 was totaled. What a monster!!! I own a construction business, and the Tundra beats the F150 in every category. MPG, power, torque, ride, room, comfort, etc. I will never buy a Ford or Chevy truck again. I added exhaust, leveling kit, and oversized tires, and I am getting about 21 mpg. WOW!!!! Drive one and you will buy one.

POWER, MPG, power rear window, and ride

HMMMM......... better turning radius.

Love my Tundra
By Bill

2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought my truck new and have loved it since the first day. I use synthetic oil and have it changed at the dealer about every 5000 miles. Last year I was in a 5 car accident. I was driving 65 mph, locked it up and stopped about 4 feet from hitting the car in front of me. The guy behind me did not stop. He smashed in the front end of his car and had to be towed. My bumper had a small dent and I was fine. He must have hit me at about 60 mph. Since then, I have bought a 4 Runner for my wife and a 4 Runner for my daughter for her first car. I need to get a timing belt put on the truck - get your maintenance at the dealer, your truck will last forever.

I love the reliability and after almost 100k miles people think it is 2 years old.

None