Used 2005 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews - 142 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Not crazy about it.
By srpeterson

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I like my Tundra V8 with the TRD package, but I'm not crazy about it. Ride and handling are great. I've had an irritating rumble/vibration that Toyota claims is a harmonic vibration from the exhaust and they have no fix for it. Live with it is their answer. Very disappointed with the gas mileage. From March to July 2005 I got 14 to 16 mpg. Since then I am averaging 11 to 12 mpg. This is for all round driving. I don't let the truck warm up forever before driving it so very little idling time. Getting some wind noise from somewhere around the windshield that wasn't there when I bought the truck. I have 7400 mi. on it now. Overall I think this is just a so - so vehicle.

Ride, engine power, power rear window, styling, front cloth bench seat is great.

Better cup holders for the bench seat. They are too shallow and one is so big around that things slide back and forth in it. Improve gas mileage. This doesn't remotely meet the advertised 15/18 city/highway mpg rating. I am getting a more realistic 12/14 mpg. I'm not a speed demon either!

Great Truck
By Dick

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased the 2005 Tundra Double Cab SR5 Truck with the TRD Off- Road package and it has performed as well as I had expected. I read reviews before buying the Tundra and most reviews suggested the TRD Package. I am glad to report that the Truck performs well, rides excellant and gets decent gas mileage. At first I was averaging 17-18 mpg. Now after 10 months I am averaging 19-20 mpg. That's short trips as well as longer trips combined. The truck is comfortable with the captains chairs. The JBL system is great. The rear seats work great for passengers as well as carrying lots of groceries, etc. I pull a 19 ft travel trailer weighing 4500 lbs and get 12-13 mpg and have plenty of power.

Great comfort, great JBL System, large enough truck bed, plenty of rear seat area, great ride, handles nice, easy to change the oil and filter, nice interior and exterior, sufficient power, good mpg for a large truck.

I noticed that the 2006 tundra has less HP. I was expecting an increase to match the Titan HP. 300 HP would be nice and maybe a Diesel version should be considered.

Disappointed
By Jeff

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I want to start out by saying that my family and I have owned several Toyota vehicles. All have been super reliable, great gas economy (much better than sticker) and Toyota has stood behind their product, until now. The dealership I dealt with is being very nice, but my fuel economy has been very poor (taken to the dealership 4 times) and constant supension and alignment issues (dealer visits 3 times for this). The Toyota Master Technician and my sales rep have called my problems abnormal, unusual and uncommon, and I have followed all of Toyota's recommendations (tire pressure, gas choice and grade, driving conditions) and nothing has changed. Important to note: no towing or large loads.

Looks, interior cabin, sound system, great 4wd system, very tough truck

GAS MILEAGE, suspension that doesn't squeak, alignment

A very nice truck
By EvilTwin

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my second Toyota truck, the first was a t100 that I should never have gotten rid of. The T was as reliable as it could be. When that truck was in an accident, I decided to replace it with an f150, what a bad choice. I finally after 3 years went back to a Tundra. Its a very nice truck, very smooth and solid, great build quality. So far my only complaints are: Mileage: only about 16 Stereo sound: No depth to the sound, a common problem on Tundras and this has the upgraded sound system. This is a good truck for people that need the capability of a full size pickup but dont want to be beaten to death by the ride of a ford.

The solid smooth ride

Make the stereo sound like something, the system has no bass or depth. Improve the gas mileage.

Great truck !!!!
By joe

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This truck rides and performs fantastic. Fit finish are top notch. Getting 15mpg around town and 20mpg on highway. Mileage will get better after about 5000 miles.

The whole truck.