Used 2004 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews - 186 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Remarkable truck!
By jsa

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I picked up my 2004 Tundra Double Cab SR5 V8 3 weeks ago. It had 24k miles on it and is in excellent condition in and out. I was able to work the dealer over on the price, and got it for exactly what I was willing to pay. Two grand under KBB. I would like to share my initial impressions. First, the truck's ride is extraordinary. It is smooth and extremely quiet. It rides like a Lexus. The handling is nice, but somewhat loose. It is no effort to carry on a low conversation with backseat passengers at highway speed. Controls are in easy reach and the JBL stereo sounds great. Doors close with a solid thump that inspires a secure feeling. Best ext. styling in it's class, IMO. Would buy again.

Ride smoothness and quietness. No rattles or squeaks. Excellent road feel. Comfort and features. Strong engine and smooth-shifting tranny. JBL sound system. Power rear window is a very nic feature. I use it all the time when getting under way to exhaust the hot air from the cab. Solid build quality.

Clock is almost always difficult to read during the day. Too many options on these models. Make feature pkgs instead. Power port covers break too easily and very tough to replace. Wheel center cap tabs snap off with easily even with tender care. Driver door int grab handle in way of window controls.

Nice Investment
By Bryan

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I love my truck. We have used it for everything - family car to trailer puller. It has done great at everything and holds it value. I will continue to trade my other car, but I will not get rid of my Tundra. I was afraid of imports, but it may be the only way to go. The quality and the little things are so good.

Overall looks, ride, comfort, rear window; everything!

More horsepower, rim styling

Incredible quality
By Jay

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab Limited Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Always performs and quality is second to none. Interior is roomy and very comfortable. Engine is powerful and smooth.

Power rear window. Great sound system.

Needs tighter turning radius. Exterior could use a more aggressive look, like the Tacoma. Should have a wood grain steering wheel option to spuce up the Limited Edition.

a year later...
By rick

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I did lots of research before I bought it (used with 11,000mi) and there is no doubt the Tundra fits my needs the best. I have two carseats in the car (Thanks for the LATCH) and carry my MC in the bed. Having owned the car for a year. I'm quite satisfied and would recommend the car without hesitation. It is full of features and convencience items that makes it a great family car. However, there are a few things I am surprised Toyota missed. (For reference, previous cars include a 911,CR-V, Accord, 300Z, Explorer, Mustang...)

The off-road pkg is great if you actually go off-roading. But with an empty bed on public roads, it's very bouncy. The engine has tons of torque, thus on a 2WD with an empty bed and multi- purpose tires, it's very easy to spin the wheels. Unfortunately selecting 2nd gear does not bypass 1st gear.

The brakes are just lousy. Poor initial bite, no feel and some fading. Locations of pwr window buttons are awkward. Cruise control not on steering wheel. Door armrests end too far forward, leaving my elbow hanging. Cheap weather strips for door windows. No LATCH on rear, right seat.

Awesome Truck
By Ab White

2004 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Domestics do not measure up to these trucks in quality and reliability. If you enjoy bringing your truck to the dealer all of the time, don't buy a Toyota. What an awesome truck.

Smooth ride, comfortable and extremely quiet.

Fuel economy